Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY lounge at LHR ; boarding psss says No.1 lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY lounge at LHR ; boarding psss says No.1 lounge

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: finnair plus platinum
I also wanted to visit No 1 lounge couple days ago and was told as a platinum you need to go to Cathay lounge
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:19 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE)
My BP from Friday definitely had an invitation to No. 1 lounge. I didn't go there so I don't know if the invitation was valid or not.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Ah, then it must be that only the digital screen downstairs is not showing the Finnair logo.
I would have wanted to visit the No 1 lounge as well last week, as I had a 4-hour layover and the only other viable lounge in T3 is the No 1.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
My boarding pass on 03NOV17 said Cathay Lounge, and in the entrance of the lounge there is also the Finnair logo.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:45 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
The OWE invitation is for CX, others no1.
florens likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by aapee
The OWE invitation is for CX, others no1.
Ah, ok. @:-)
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by allturnleft
Im a sure quite a few people in the know ‘Lounge Hop’ as I did on this occasion
Does that mean AY gets a multiple bill?
If you visit a 3rd party lounge + a One World lounge then almost certainly they will get double billed.

It wouldn't surprise me if One World have some kind of better tracking system that may apportion costs for multiple visits. I'm sure it gets very complex very quickly from a cost calculation point of view. You never know though, IT systems can be pretty old school in these companies too.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:03 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
That is an uneducated guess, not a fact.

Why on earth would a QF-lounge forfeit their opportunity to charge Finnair, just because CX already have charged for the same passenger?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:45 am
R2

I read in another forum that in oneworld it is always the operating carrier that pays for the lounge visit(s).

Not that it matters to me but I would be very surprised if oneworld did have a good tracking system that would somehow apportion the cost of multiple lounge visits on a single boarding pass.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by intuition
That is an uneducated guess, not a fact.

Why on earth would a QF-lounge forfeit their opportunity to charge Finnair, just because CX already have charged for the same passenger?
In English the phrase "It wouldn't surprise me if...." means that I am speculating. But thanks for clarifying for those who didn't understand the phrase.

It depends how the system is set up. In an ideal world carriers would track as many data points as possible to build a more accurate cost model. They could then build a more fair inter-carrier billing agreement.

At a bare minimum, they probably have different prices for business class vs first class lounge access. Other variables could include things such as: Country (local price index), time of day, time until departure and possibly age (children vs adult). All of these variables could have an impact on lounge costs. Just to be clear, I am speculating on these.

It takes a pretty robust and well developed IT system to make such calculations. We have seen that BA had spend considerable effort in its FLY system to calculate things such as upgrade entitlement. Not much is know about it, though much has been speculated.

Of course, it is also entirely possible that there is a just a global flat fee and every time you scan in, lounge operator bills the ticketed airline X amount.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:59 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Well I am just saying. First you post a very detailed description of lounge rules and the billing system, explaining mechanisms and incentives for lounge operators to abuse the access rules.
Then, less than 24 hours later, you post an idea that there are systems in place to the contrary, where lounges are unable to bill for visitors, which effectively would overturn the motive to abuse the lounge rules you carefully explained yesterday.
So yes, I wanted to make it clear that you, despite confident wording, are just posting uneducated guesses.

There is nothing wrong with posting guesses and speculations. I do it a lot too. But to move this thread forward some facts would be nice. I am confident that FT at some point will provide great facts - a similar discussion regarding *A lounge arrangements has provided us with a copy of the bilateral agreement between airlines.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
Well I am just saying. First you post a very detailed description of lounge rules and the billing system, explaining mechanisms and incentives for lounge operators to abuse the access rules.
Then, less than 24 hours later, you post an idea that there are systems in place to the contrary, where lounges are unable to bill for visitors, which effectively would overturn the motive to abuse the lounge rules you carefully explained yesterday.
So yes, I wanted to make it clear that you, despite confident wording, are just posting uneducated guesses.

There is nothing wrong with posting guesses and speculations. I do it a lot too. But to move this thread forward some facts would be nice. I am confident that FT at some point will provide great facts - a similar discussion regarding *A lounge arrangements has provided us with a copy of the bilateral agreement between airlines.
I actually work for Skyteam and I'm trying to subvert your lounge access capability. You got me...

I think you've misunderstood what I wrote in a pretty significant way, but that's just an uneducated guess.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: BRK-B
I was on a BA ticket in CE, I was be able to gain access to CX lounge twice. Now with AY J, I am not sure as I have no OW status (literally Ruby) whether they will grant me the access or not. I just want to avoid the No.1 Lounge which is overcrowded.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:40 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
I'm totally with intuition on this topic, OW J ticket alone for sure doesn't grant automatic access to any OW lounge you can find at any given airport. Some carriers/lounges are more open like CX and QF, IME, but as an example, there are many smaller BA lounges across the US, which are more of less only open before the BA flights. They don't even allow access to these lounges if you have OW status unless you're flying BA..they can always use the "not enough space blaablaa..."..
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:13 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
QF is opening their new LHR lounge at T3 tomorrow (29.11.2017) (https://www.ausbt.com.au/first-look-...t-class-lounge). It has no dedicated F area but other similar QF lounges (SIN) are still mighty nice.
Worth a visit, when CX lounge gets boring
remymartin and Steve_Hun like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.