Finnair Carry on Baggage allowance

Old Sep 18, 17, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Finnair Carry on Baggage allowance

Hi! I am flying from Asia to Eu by Finnair and can't help but struggle with he 8kg allowance on Finnair carry on luggage. I was wondering if there is any cases of leniency for this as I see that Finnair do weigh their carry on luggages
Old Sep 18, 17, 3:48 pm

I doubt that Finnair do weight carry on luggages. However, it can't be impossible to bring more if you have a legit reason.(medical equipment or other important stuff).
Still, I can't se any reason for anyone bringing more then 8kgs into the cabin. Generally people don't need all that junk they tend to bring as carry-on.
Old Sep 19, 17, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PP, UA Plat 2MM, LHW Leaders Club, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by seldomrfly View Post
I doubt that Finnair do weight carry on luggages. However, it can't be impossible to bring more if you have a legit reason.(medical equipment or other important stuff).
Still, I can't se any reason for anyone bringing more then 8kgs into the cabin. Generally people don't need all that junk they tend to bring as carry-on.
Some people do not want to check baggage. I have saved hours that way.
Old Sep 19, 17, 2:41 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, Accor Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Nevsky View Post
And that's OK - if you follow the weight and especially size rules. Otherwise, you are just being selfish.
Old Sep 19, 17, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Nevsky View Post
Yeah, people tend to think that. Too many people nowadays, with the result that your saved minutes are lost in unnecessary waiting during boarding and disembarking. Not to mention the discomfort in the cabin due to silly amounts of luggage brought there. How funny it is when some idiot have stuffed the over head locker with luggage with the size of a permanent move abroad. Hell, I had to sit with my tiny bag consisting of 10" touch pad in my lap on my last flight since the over head compartments where filled well over their limits.
On a normal functional airport your bag is on the belt at the time you arrive there.
Well there are exceptions when check-in isn't an option, but for normal travelling I think my point is clear.
Old Dec 31, 17, 5:19 am

Programs: BA, softly landed to Silver
I just received a confirmation e-mail for my flight that says “1 carry-on bag(s)” plus the weight (8 kg) and dimensions of that 1 piece, whereas other airlines usually accept 1 carry-on bag PLUS a small bag like that of a laptop computer. Haven’t flown with Finnair for a couple of years so how strict are they if I bring my 4 wheel carry-on plus laptop bag when travelling in business class?
Old Dec 31, 17, 5:27 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by Great_circle View Post
I just received a confirmation e-mail for my flight that says “1 carry-on bag(s)” plus the weight (8 kg) and dimensions of that 1 piece, whereas other airlines usually accept 1 carry-on bag PLUS a small bag like that of a laptop computer. Haven’t flown with Finnair for a couple of years so how strict are they if I bring my 4 wheel carry-on plus laptop bag when travelling in business class?
Their pre-departure emails are sometimes not so accurate in details. This is what AY web pages say about carry-on baggage:

Unfortunately the rules of carry-ons are not followed practically anywhere, so many passengers take almost all their belongings onboard and take overhead bin space from others that follow the rules.
Great_circle likes this.
Old Dec 5, 18, 7:17 am

Programs: Got a K-Plussa black! S-card remains green :D

Carry-on baggage test on certain European flights departing from Helsinki

When the weather gets colder, and many are travelling with winter coats and in general more baggage, the limited space for carry-on baggage onboard our aircraft tends to fill up or even run out entirely.
show more When the weather gets colder, and many are travelling with winter coats and in general more baggage, the limited space for carry-on baggage onboard our aircraft tends to fill up or even run out entirely.

For your comfort and more space in the cabin, we encourage everyone to pack carry-on baggage light and tight, or check in the baggage. If there is too much carry-on baggage onboard, our crew needs to remove the baggage to the cargo hold and it may even delay the flight.

We will test actively removing carry-on baggage to cargo hold before certain fuller flights departing from Helsinki to Amsterdam, Stockholm, Paris, Copenhagen and Oulu between Nov 28 and Dec 19. During the test our ground crew will actively remove carry-on baggage before boarding both in check-in counters and at the gate. The test is done to collect feedback on how removing carry-on baggage affects customer experience and fluency of the boarding process. Baggage may be removed, even though it is within the allowance – the goal is to reduce the total amount of carry-on baggage in the cabin. During the test period, carry-on baggage will be removed free of charge.

Thank you for your co-operation!
Old Dec 5, 18, 8:52 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
I general good, but this is the problem:
Baggage may be removed, even though it is within the allowance – the goal is to reduce the total amount of carry-on baggage in the cabin.
If they are going to remove bags for a passenger who is under limit they don't need a test. I can tell you right now it will "affect customer experience" negatively.
on22cz likes this.
Old Dec 5, 18, 9:41 am

Interesting and kind of good news for one that is allergic to over sized cabin luggage. I hope they just write "might remove bags that are below limit".
I wish they'll go straight for the crazy overload people and throw their idotic sized carry on bags down the cargo hold. After that they should charge them for a check-in bag + a stupidity fee.
Purjelentaja and Teppo like this.
Old Dec 5, 18, 10:03 am

Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL + hotels
Well, I do hope they take after US carriers here, boarding strictly by group numbers and refusing carry-ons after the bins fill up, thus minimizing the effect to status pax.

I wouldn't be a very happy Platinum passenger if they take my within-the-limits bag from me and let some Group 9 pax take their kitchen sink with them.
FFlash and Purjelentaja like this.
Old Dec 5, 18, 10:06 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), Accor Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Remember when they were supposed to change the carry-on baggage allowance maybe a year ago? They already announced it and then cancelled the change stating it was postponed but I can't remember whether it was ever implemented or not. Anyone has details on what the new allowance was supposed to be?
Old Dec 5, 18, 10:10 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by lkrt View Post
Remember when they were supposed to change the carry-on baggage allowance maybe a year ago? They already announced it and then cancelled the change stating it was postponed but I can't remember whether it was ever implemented or not. Anyone has details on what the new allowance was supposed to be?
1 bag of 15kg for elites/J. Otherwise it was supposed to be 8kg (as it is now).
Old Dec 5, 18, 12:37 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
Well, I do hope they take after US carriers here, boarding strictly by group numbers and refusing carry-ons after the bins fill up, thus minimizing the effect to status pax.

I wouldn't be a very happy Platinum passenger if they take my within-the-limits bag from me and let some Group 9 pax take their kitchen sink with them.
I am not sure it will work as you are hoping. There is a huge number of passengers in group 1 and if you don't police them, they will fill the bins all by themselves. The most important thing to do is to police size and number of bags. This should be done before boarding the plane - it has nothing to do with load factor of bins. Irregular baggage should be gate checked before there is a chance dumping it onboard.

I wouldn't be a very happy J passenger, if they take my within-the-limits bags from me because I was enjoying the lounge while the group ones dumped all their bags above 1A before proceeding to their exit row seat where bag space always is limited.

Today, that is a potential threat already today on many flights, and with a "first come, first serve" attitude, it is very likely going to be reality.
Old Dec 5, 18, 2:24 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL + hotels
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
I am not sure it will work as you are hoping.
Me neither. Unfortunately. The Finnish way would be to use pärstäkerroin at the gate.

First of all, I would change the carry-on requirements so they would make sense. Right now it's 10 kg, including two full-size bags (really?) and a personal item, for status pax & J. That's too much volume and too little weight. Make it one full-size carry-on and one personal item with no weight limit, or a combined limit of 18 kg or whatever.

Secondly, police those J bins. I actually don't see that as a problem in real life – I can't remember people putting their stuff there unless they are among the last to board and CC instruct them to do so. Have you witnessed it on a regular basis?

Thirdly (and this is impossible, I know) create proper gate areas at HEL so you can have proper channels for Priority boarding and all else. Ensure that your priority pax can take that one bag + personal item with them and check in all others' carry-ons if necessary. Gate agents could grab those carry-ons from the queues which people line up for in good time anyway, so it wouldn't necessarily delay the flight. BA agents even police the gate areas at LHR, snatching any bags they can get hold of (which is why you certainly don't want to linger at the gate for too long...)

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: