Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Unable to book seats on codeshare flights

Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Keter
After Amadeus moved to a single PNR for code share flights there are issues in selecting seats for such flights unless a marketing airline paid to have access to the operating airline seatmap and show that in Amadeus.

This only applies when both airlines are in Amadeus, for example, the issue shall be in place for AY op by BA/ CX and vv.
The pair AY op by AA shall work fine as AA uses Sabre and you shall be OK to select seats via AA, however, you need to get a record locator for the AA operating booking first of course.

Amadeus has a very simple command to select seats when seat map is not available (or when there is no contract rather with Amadeus to store seatmaps). It is very simple and called 'seat wish'. Here is the documentation from Amadeus:

https://servicehub.amadeus.com/c/por...ke-a-seat-wish

The posts in this thread indicate that not all agents are trained to use this option. It shall normally be the marketing airline who you ask to make a seat wish.
Print Wikipost

Unable to book seats on codeshare flights

Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:55 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by on22cz
[left]How can we tag the FinnairPlus user/representative t...
@on22cz, either send a PM or tag the user in the thread by prefixing username with a @, preferably with the question in the tagged post.

Username they used in the last active thread was FinnairPlus
(but I think there are other active handles too)

Last edited by intuition; Dec 5, 2018 at 11:04 pm
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Checking before I buy. Anyone with any relevant recent datapoints?
I am looking to book the (new) Finnair operated A359 between LAX and HEL, in business class. It'll be as the BA codeshare. However, I am concerned that I won't be able to select a seat.
Has anyone any recent experiences on seat selection for AY metal and a BA codeshare? The fare rules are quite restrictive and its too much of a risk to buy and find I can't select seats!!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by littlefish
I am looking to book the (new) Finnair operated A359 between LAX and HEL, in business class. It'll be as the BA codeshare. However, I am concerned that I won't be able to select a seat.
Has anyone any recent experiences on seat selection for AY metal and a BA codeshare? The fare rules are quite restrictive and its too much of a risk to buy and find I can't select seats!!
On my recent BA coded AY flights across the Atlantic I have managed to select a seat through the Finnair chat. Seat selection online on the manage my booking page doesn't work but as long as you can get in touch with a competent agent it should be easy.
littlefish and esledo like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by littlefish
Selected seats via chat for this exact route and on BA codes too.
littlefish likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Again, AY codeshare on AA works like a charm. Just input the AY PNR into AA site and you can access the reservation and choose MCE seats and also able to retrieve AA Sabre PNR if needed.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Oh, you don't need to get the AA record locator anymore? Good to know! ^ So booking AY flight numbers on AA metal would be safer than booking BA metal, then.
florens and Furry like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:34 pm

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
I can second that I was able to reserve the seat on AA op flight with AY code and PNR.
ffay005 likes this.

Last edited by Aviating; Jan 28, 2019 at 11:00 pm
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Aviating
I can second that I was able to reserve the seat on AA op flight with AY code and PNR.
AA website did not understand the AY PNR if I selected the AA Finnish website - neither in Finnish nor in English language. However, works nicely in the AA US website...
And yes, no problem to select Main Cabin Extra seat.
ffay005 and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:04 am

Hi all,

I can confirm first ever flight with Finnair coming up.

booked via BA in J.

Could not book seats with BA. Used the chat feature on finnair and had seats 5 min later for both of us.
no status
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Mike_Smith
Hi all,

I can confirm first ever flight with Finnair coming up.

booked via BA in J.

Could not book seats with BA. Used the chat feature on finnair and had seats 5 min later for both of us.
no status
In my case AA codeshare ARN-HEL-ORD in J, but same experience. Contacted chat and solved in 5 minutes. Not much more time than clicking around and solving on your own but agreed more labor intensive for Finnair while they can't solve this issue.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Quick data point (I'm OWE, flight in question was booked in paid J) -- on an AY-operated flight purchased through AA as an AA codeshare, I was able to pull up the reservation using the AY record locator on the AY website, but I was not allowed to select a seat. When I called AA, they were able to assign my desired seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.