Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Unable to book seats on codeshare flights

Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Keter
After Amadeus moved to a single PNR for code share flights there are issues in selecting seats for such flights unless a marketing airline paid to have access to the operating airline seatmap and show that in Amadeus.

This only applies when both airlines are in Amadeus, for example, the issue shall be in place for AY op by BA/ CX and vv.
The pair AY op by AA shall work fine as AA uses Sabre and you shall be OK to select seats via AA, however, you need to get a record locator for the AA operating booking first of course.

Amadeus has a very simple command to select seats when seat map is not available (or when there is no contract rather with Amadeus to store seatmaps). It is very simple and called 'seat wish'. Here is the documentation from Amadeus:

https://servicehub.amadeus.com/c/por...ke-a-seat-wish

The posts in this thread indicate that not all agents are trained to use this option. It shall normally be the marketing airline who you ask to make a seat wish.
Print Wikipost

Unable to book seats on codeshare flights

Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by haapalainen
Interestingly, OLCI suggested to add my BA Emer card as the FF program (not even possible to add a Skyteam FF) and to my surprise I got priority security, group 1 boarding and even proactive newspaper and beverage onboard. I thought these would not be available under AF codeshare, but was happy to be proven otherwise. No lounge invitation, though.
That's a known bug in the Finnair OLCI procedure. (Or maybe it's a feature https://thegeekwhisperer.com/2009/09/24/bug-vs-feature/)

The computer gives you priority security, boarding and presumably prints your status in the manifest. I guess that the marketing code is not included on the manifest, so the crew just treats you as any Oneworld frequent flier. This works in both directions, so you also get Accs No.1 at CDG 2D. Presumably, this works for other non-OW marketing codes on AY metal too, such as CA, FI or TP. But I have never had the opportunity to try (and am not looking forward to it either).

The mileage credit will go to Flying Blue, assuming you did bind the AirFrance PNR with your Flying Blue account. You can also reassociate your FB number manual at the check-in desk - but that is only useful if you have status with Flying Blue.

For the sake of comparison, AirFrance online check-in pages list Finnair Plus as a possible FFP. But it (and nothing else) works if and only if the flight is marketed by Finnair.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
This just keeps going on and on; AA ticket, AA flight number, AY operated JFK-HEL, no dice with the seats when I called AY cs. I just sent DM to their twitter team, let's see if that does any good. This is just so frustrating, same issue day after day, month after month. It's kind of funny when oneworld alliance is pitching for their seamless travel experience and we are still struggling with such a basic thing as seat assignments. And we are living in 2018!
Ok, one message to twitter team @FinnAirhelps solved my issue in less than 24 hours and now we have seats for the AY operated flights.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I sure would like to know why (1) some people get no help anywhere, (2) some people get help from AA but not AY, (3) some people get help from AY but not AA.

It seems that a good agent can allocate seats, no matter which airline (or even OTA) they work for. Since this is indeed possible, why not have all your agents learn how to do it?
florens, DALtoAAL and seldomrfly like this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:22 am

I have upcoming AY flights on BA codes. The chat agent responded that it probably won't be possible to assign seats but he'll try. Ended up getting my seats, but made it seem like he'd had experiences with both outcomes.

Suppose the systems may work differently depending on cabin, FF status, the other airline involved, phase of the moon, and whatnot. I even had an AY coded AY operated flight bought as part of a CX itenerary that was not availlable for seat selection on the AY site (didn't matter as I had been able to select seats at the CX site when booking, but seemed weird).
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by ikeatroll
I have upcoming AY flights on BA codes. The chat agent responded that it probably won't be possible to assign seats but he'll try. Ended up getting my seats, but made it seem like he'd had experiences with both outcomes.

Suppose the systems may work differently depending on cabin, FF status, the other airline involved, phase of the moon, and whatnot. I even had an AY coded AY operated flight bought as part of a CX itenerary that was not availlable for seat selection on the AY site (didn't matter as I had been able to select seats at the CX site when booking, but seemed weird).
This is puzzling! I had many AY sectors on BA codes and the agents were always able to select seats for me. But nowadays nothing would surprise me anymore I guess.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
The problem seems to spread. Lusthansa has made a policy of not accepting advance seat assignments for codeshare pax: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-paid-j-2.html

I wonder if it's just an IT glitch at AY, or if it's more deliberate than we think.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
AY-coded, CX operated. Naturally unable to select seats online. Finnair chat agent responded seat selection not possible. However, the Plat line proved worthy and was able to change to a better seat
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by ffay005
The problem seems to spread. Lusthansa has made a policy of not accepting advance seat assignments for codeshare pax: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-paid-j-2.html

I wonder if it's just an IT glitch at AY, or if it's more deliberate than we think.
Well well, if deliberate, that is a very very beancounter silly game thing which they must be really stupid if anyone starts such things.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:43 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
I haven't flown much on AY metal with other codes so cannot really comment on that but recent experiences with AA/BA/CX metal with AY codes, no issues whatsoever with getting seats selected, as long as you have the correct record locator for the operating carrier.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
I haven't flown much on AY metal with other codes so cannot really comment on that but recent experiences with AA/BA/CX metal with AY codes, no issues whatsoever with getting seats selected, as long as you have the correct record locator for the operating carrier.
Seems to be much more an AY issue than anything else. I do think it is at least partially a policy decision.
NoWindowSeat and ffay005 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO
My data point:

Trip booked on aa.com involving:

AA8988 (AY10) ORD-HEL
AA8974 (AY809) HEL-ARN
AY952 CPH-HEL
AY9 HEL-ORD

I used the online chat function on finnair.com and the agent was able to assign me seats for all 4 legs, including the AA codeshare flights.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:27 am

Talking Keep trying

Same story here, booked a flight EDI-FUK, with layover in HEL. Wanted to book a seat on the HEL-FUK leg, but could not do it myself online. Used the chat option and the person told me that this is a codeshare and they cannot reserve seats. After a few days called Finnair and got the same reply - they cannot do it. Then tried the chat again and was lucky this time. The operator booked a regular widow sear for me - she was very polite and efficient.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Can this be a Finnair only problem? I have an upcoming trip on AA code, ba metal and dont have these issues.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: Finnair plat
Originally Posted by SuloL
AY-coded, CX operated. Naturally unable to select seats online. Finnair chat agent responded seat selection not possible. However, the Plat line proved worthy and was able to change to a better seat
Finnair chat are also able to change - did it for me - a suprise for her, because the normal wasn't able to do it!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:59 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by remymartin
Can this be a Finnair only problem? I have an upcoming trip on AA code, ba metal and dont have these issues.
Yeah it is also all very strange to me, just within the last 10min changed/booked my seats on AY codeshares operated on AA&BA metal...works like a clock on aa.com/ba.com..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.