Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Unable to book seats on codeshare flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Keter
After Amadeus moved to a single PNR for code share flights there are issues in selecting seats for such flights unless a marketing airline paid to have access to the operating airline seatmap and show that in Amadeus.

This only applies when both airlines are in Amadeus, for example, the issue shall be in place for AY op by BA/ CX and vv.
The pair AY op by AA shall work fine as AA uses Sabre and you shall be OK to select seats via AA, however, you need to get a record locator for the AA operating booking first of course.

Amadeus has a very simple command to select seats when seat map is not available (or when there is no contract rather with Amadeus to store seatmaps). It is very simple and called 'seat wish'. Here is the documentation from Amadeus:

https://servicehub.amadeus.com/c/por...ke-a-seat-wish

The posts in this thread indicate that not all agents are trained to use this option. It shall normally be the marketing airline who you ask to make a seat wish.
Print Wikipost

Unable to book seats on codeshare flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I just got of the phone with both AA and AY. I have an AA issued ticket with AA coded/AY metal flight. I got the AY PNR from AA and tried the AY website and got an error. I then tried QR.com as they will pull up other carriers but got an error. I called AA and the agent said the entire seat map is greyed out and he was unable to select any seats. I called AY and the agent said they are unable to assign seats on codeshares because they are undergoing a system upgrades to consolidate PNRs across codeshare parnters (or something like that). It was estimated to take until mid-August to get fixed.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, AY Lumo, Hyatt Explorist, National Exec Elite
I called AA because of another issue, and during the call I tried my luck with this reservation as well - and it actually seemed to work.

I asked if the agent could allocate a seat for me on the Finnair flights, and after initially suggesting me to call AY, she finally managed to allocate the seats.

The seat allocation now shows up on both reservations (AY and AA PNR)... let's see what happens when I board the plane on Sunday.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
I was able to reserve seats for my codeshare flights (AA marketed & ticketed, AY operated) via Twitter. I sent a direct message with my record locator and the seats requested which were confirmed during Finnish working hours.

https://twitter.com/finnairhelps
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by ORD-DCA Flyer
I was able to reserve seats for my codeshare flights (AA marketed & ticketed, AY operated) via Twitter. I sent a direct message with my record locator and the seats requested which were confirmed during Finnish working hours.

https://twitter.com/finnairhelps
When is your flight? I tried again last week via the chat function of finnair.com and I was told to try again on the 20th for a flight departing on the 27th.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, AY Lumo, Hyatt Explorist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by hrnt
The seat allocation now shows up on both reservations (AY and AA PNR)... let's see what happens when I board the plane on Sunday.
Just came back to Finland, and the seat allocation stuck - so if you are flying AY with an AA code, try your luck with AA customer service instead of AY.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by hrnt
Just came back to Finland, and the seat allocation stuck - so if you are flying AY with an AA code, try your luck with AA customer service instead of AY.
The last time I spoke with AA they said the seat map was all greyed out. They couldn't select anything.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by skunker
When is your flight? I tried again last week via the chat function of finnair.com and I was told to try again on the 20th for a flight departing on the 27th.
Flights are in late September, I sent the direct message on Friday evening an got a response Saturday morning.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Purchased the ticket through AA customer service phone line. They were able to select the seats after ticketing but cannot see them neither on AA or AY site.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:41 pm

I sent a message via twitter (which I had to sign up for), so maybe they can help. AA just said the same thing-seat map is greyed out and she was unable to select any seats.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:51 am

In May AA code, AY operated. Seat assignment by chat.
​​​​​​During flight wifi stopped after one hour, so they didn't recognize automatically as plat.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:01 am

I heard back from twitter the same thing: unable to assign seats on codeshare flights and I need to wait until check in at the airport. I just wrote back asking how its possible that other people are able to get seats assigned but I cant.

Maybe I'm missing something. Is everyone else flying coach or business? Oneworld status level?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
If you have Oneworld Emerald status and fly Economy, Finnair should preselect a Comfort seat. But manually reserving a seat does not work on code-share flights.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:04 pm

Another reply via twitter:

I´m really sorry about the situation. Unfortunatelly, at the moment it is not possible to book seats in advance if flight is marketed By one airline and operated By another one. You can select the seat during check-in. Best regards,
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
This is really so annoying. Surely it must be possibly to be fixed?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by skunker
I heard back from twitter the same thing: unable to assign seats on codeshare flights and I need to wait until check in at the airport. I just wrote back asking how its possible that other people are able to get seats assigned but I cant.

Maybe I'm missing something. Is everyone else flying coach or business? Oneworld status level?
Intra EU coach AY flights connecting to AA and Emerald

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.