Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Unable to book seats on codeshare flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Keter
After Amadeus moved to a single PNR for code share flights there are issues in selecting seats for such flights unless a marketing airline paid to have access to the operating airline seatmap and show that in Amadeus.

This only applies when both airlines are in Amadeus, for example, the issue shall be in place for AY op by BA/ CX and vv.
The pair AY op by AA shall work fine as AA uses Sabre and you shall be OK to select seats via AA, however, you need to get a record locator for the AA operating booking first of course.

Amadeus has a very simple command to select seats when seat map is not available (or when there is no contract rather with Amadeus to store seatmaps). It is very simple and called 'seat wish'. Here is the documentation from Amadeus:

https://servicehub.amadeus.com/c/por...ke-a-seat-wish

The posts in this thread indicate that not all agents are trained to use this option. It shall normally be the marketing airline who you ask to make a seat wish.
Print Wikipost

Unable to book seats on codeshare flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
A long-lasting issue: Unable to book seats on codeshare flights
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by Jainzar
I found this later on, FT search did not help but Google leads me there THX
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by Ed Size
Hey can anybody help, I want to do a seat reservation on an AY codeshare flight on CX - neither AY nor CX website are working for this.
Try calling in. Seat selection on AY-coded CX metal has worked for me recently. The agent's default answer might be "cannot", but push a little bit, they should be able to do it.
on22cz likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by SuloL
Try calling in. Seat selection on AY-coded CX metal has worked for me recently. The agent's default answer might be "cannot", but push a little bit, they should be able to do it.
Calling whom? AY or CX?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Calling whom? AY or CX?
AY. They were able to do it for AY and CX coded CX flights earlier this year. Just check the confirmation when you get it - one of the four seating assignments did not stick for me and they had to redo it when I called back.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Just booked my yearly flights to TLL on AY but booked as BA codeshares. Seat selection is still not working, so going to use the chat (again) and going to complain (again). 2 years now and counting... Not oneworld at all!
ffay005, esledo, on22cz and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
A quick follow up. This is the answer I got when I complained about the lack of basic functionalities on codeshare flights:

We are very sorry for that issue. You are rights its on going since quite a lot of time .
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by florens
A quick follow up. This is the answer I got when I complained about the lack of basic functionalities on codeshare flights:
Poor Janica, she must've slept through her English lessons at Kajaani upper secondary.
lkrt likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Could make a reservation on the CX flights by calling AY, but they just took any two seats (did t ask for preferences) anyhow, had to call a second time to get me out of that middle seat.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

According to twitter a fix has been promised but no timeline given.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

And it's still not solved..

BA coded AY flights

Chat CS response:

"Because all additional services are provided by operating carrier. If you have a ticket from another airlines, it is not possible to book additional services, it is international policy between the airlines. Your ticket has to be issued by the same airline that operates the flight in order to be able to use all additional services"

Last edited by florens; Nov 5, 2018 at 4:57 am
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: LH SEN
Very funny that AY is the only airline that follows this ”policy”. For e.g. AA/BA it is fine to book everything in advance, was it prime or codeshare.
florens and remymartin like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by esledo
Very funny that AY is the only airline that follows this ”policy”. For e.g. AA/BA it is fine to book everything in advance, was it prime or codeshare.
Seriously, I'd love to find out what's going on with AY that they seem to have become so stingy about assigning seats on codeshare flights! This doesn't seem very resource-intensive for the airlines and the protocol is simple enough to be disseminated to the entire CS team to avoid inconsistencies, so I really don't get this.

My current situation
As OWE/AA EXP, I've been flying AY frequently for work on paid J tickets to Asia and Europe for the last 5 years, and I never had any trouble w/ seat assignments for years. But I have recently been facing more and more resistance from AY agents when requesting seat assignments on codeshares!

I currently have two (separate) upcoming trips w/ AY-marketed tickets which incl JL codeshare legs and, for one of them, it took me maybe three attempts to reach an AY agent that gave me seat assignments.

Now, it's been a different story for my 2nd trip, again, w/ JL codeshare legs, the same fair basis, etc., and AY ABSOLUTELY REFUSED to assign seats! I've gone through maybe a dozen back and forth on the phone, Twitter, chat, etc. hoping that I'd eventually get a competent/helpful agent, but here is their most recent reply I got on Twitter:
Hi, Unfortunately we can't assign seats to flights, which are operated by other airlines. it is always handled by the airline who operates the flight."

Since she sounded so convincing and this would actually be enough of an inconvenience for me to switch to another carrier, I called AY to confirm their new policy. Guess what, it took the agent 2 minutes to get me the seats I wanted and I even got a confirmation email.

My conclusions
Therefore, here is the DEFINITIVE answer, in my perspective, as of December 5, 2018 regarding getting seats assigned on AY-marketed-JL-operated flights :
  • AY agents CAN assign seats on AY-ticketed codeshares operated by other OW carriers, incl JL; but
  • More and more agents seem either unfamiliar with the protocol and/or unwilling to help.
Again, there must be a reason why they aren't being very helpful beyond that it might require some technical skills on the agents' part. It's puzzling because they used to be more accommodating w/ seat assignments before and, perhaps more importantly, I don't have these issues w/ other OW codeshare arrangements as long as they aren't AY-marketed.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
At our corner of the table at the AY Kitchen meeting, we discussed this among other things. There seemed to be a consensus that it is indeed possible to assign these seats, and that some have had luck with OTAs, others with AY, and that you need to call several times. It's really annoying and it's a big let-down that AY hasn't done anything about this. It's been going on for far too long now.
esledo and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
How can we tag the FinnairPlus user/representative to comment on this? There either is a policy for not assigning seats - and I would like to know why, because it seems rather laughable - or their agents are lazy / poorly trained, which would require some corrective steps (i.e., additional training).

EDIT: Thanks @intuition for teaching me this tag thing.
Now here is the question for @FinnairPlus - what is the policy for assigning seats on codeshare flights? If seat assignment is disallowed, why so? If agents are just unaware of the process, could you take care of improvement? Thank you.

Last edited by on22cz; Dec 8, 2018 at 2:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.