Wiki Posts
Search

A350 to LHR - worth to upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
A350 to LHR - worth to upgrade?

I usually save my AY points for L/H upgrades, but I now have about 15k points expiring and an upcoming morning flight to London (HEL-LHR) with the A350. I'm thinking of upgrading to C with my BH on this flight with the alternative of upgrading the return evening flight with an A320 or saving the points for another purpose with the risk of them expiring. My question is is it worth it? I haven't been on the A350 before and it would be nice to experience the C seats but I'm sure the Y class would be nice and interesting as well. If it weren't for the A350, I would probably upgrade the return instead as that would give us dinner and free drinks instead of the breakfast. I do have lounge access for us both anyways and there will be more time for that on the return. What would you do in my situation?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Sure, it's great value for the points onboard the A350. The LHR flight is anyway quite nice for upgrades. The A350 also gives you one hour of free wifi (rather generous on a 2,5-hour flight!).

On the other hand, I quite like to use my points for SH upgrades as well, as the flights go by much quicker with a meal and some drinks on hand.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Go ahead and upgrade the A350 segment. You'll get a seat way more comfortable than anything on a AY narrowbody and 1 hour of wifi + IFE.

The J breakfast is rubbish, but so is dinner, too (think €9.50 workplace canteen food in minuscule portions), so I wouldn't base my upgrade decision on the meals.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Decent length flight and reverse herringbone seat. Crazy to waste miles upgrading to eurobusiness when you already get lounge access.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Decent length flight and reverse herringbone seat. Crazy to waste miles upgrading to eurobusiness when you already get lounge access.
Do you think there's a better way to use expiring points?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:01 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
For narrowbody non-upgraders: try to sit behind the curtain in those newest AY 321:s with 209 seats! And queue up for the solitary loos far back...
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by ffay005
Go ahead and upgrade the A350 segment. You'll get a seat way more comfortable than anything on a AY narrowbody and 1 hour of wifi + IFE.

The J breakfast is rubbish, but so is dinner, too (think €9.50 workplace canteen food in minuscule portions), so I wouldn't base my upgrade decision on the meals.
I know also dinner can be terrible. But at least you get Napue G&T. Hmm, maybe I should just get stoned in the lounge and then clear up during the flight...
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTL
For narrowbody non-upgraders: try to sit behind the curtain in those newest AY 321:s with 209 seats! And queue up for the solitary loos far back...
The flight info shows an A320 and I have been pre-allocated row 5. Do you think I should choose exit row instead?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
I would not count on Napue intra Europe....
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:11 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by tsastor
The flight info shows an A320 and I have been pre-allocated row 5. Do you think I should choose exit row instead?
If it is in Y, I would upgrade anyway. Lately the planes sit on tarmac at LHR for various reasons such as missed slot, late fueling+boarding, etc. (or also in HEL due to London air traffic control restrictions), so that the 2h 20min airtime factually becomes 3 to 4 hours. In my experience, the HEL-LHR-HEL flights are fully booked with no restriction on carry-ons in practice. So having the middle seat free (with the space under the middle seat also available) helps a lot. And there still is some food service and ample drinks service available in C along with the less congested front loo.

Last edited by TTL; Jul 22, 2017 at 12:29 am
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTL
If it is in Y, I would upgrade anyway. Lately the planes sit on tarmac at LHR for various reasons such as missed slot, late fueling+boarding, etc. (or also in HEL due to London air traffic control restrictions), so that the 2h 20min airtime factually becomes 3 to 4 hours. In my experience, the HEL-LHR-HEL flights are fully booked with no restriction on carry-ons in practice. So having the middle seat free (with the space under the middle seat also available) helps a lot. And there still is some food service and ample drinks service available in C along with the less congested front loo.
Good points. I guess I'll upgrade the A350 portion and if my BH behaves, I'll upgrade the return later as well.

Hope I'm not being too blunt ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.