Wiki Posts
Search

AY+ Plat benefits flying AA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
AY+ Plat benefits flying AA

I used to concentrate my earnings to AAdvantage, but now I'm with the AY programme and will fly domestic AA for the first time as AY+ Plat.

I will of course be entitled to standard OWE benefits like lounge access and J check-in. But what about the perks that vary from airline to airline and that are meant for AAdvantage members but either are or are not extended to OW status members?

I suppose OWE gives me lounge access on domestic US flights, right?

What about PriorityAAccess at security?

And what about an extra piece of luggage for free?

Anything else I should know about?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Domestic lounge access, yes: this is a privilege not granted to those within AAdvantage. Priority security AA gives off to almost everyone. Extra piece of baggage is for all OWS and OWE members.

As an OWE you are also entitled to one complimentary snack + one drink onboard and Main Cabin Extra.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks lkrt! This is FT at its best – a detailed answer in three minutes. The info would probably be almost impossible to find on an airline website or even by calling them.

The snack was something I was unaware of. Will be very welcome since I have an early morning flight out of LGA. ^
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
I wouldn't necessarily call it detailed But yeah, agreed. This stuff can often be hard to find.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Sure, it was detailed. You answered all my questions and even added extra info ^ The answer you would get from an airline would/could be something like "status benefits are in most cases extended to OW members as well", which wouldn't help at all since all the details are missing...

Let me ask you something else if you are an experienced AA flier. I'll be flying to JFK on AY and then, on a separate ticket, on AA from LGA the next morning. I would like to check in for this ex-LGA flight at JFK (well within the 24 hour timeframe) when I get there so I can sleep a little later the next morning. But will the JFK kiosk let me do that? And if not, will an agent do it?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
At least during IRROPS (missed JFK-ORD and rebooked on LGA-ORD) I have received the AA boarding pass out of LGA from the JFK Admirals Club lounge where they re-booked the flight. So there is no technical limitation at least.

You could do online checkin?

Usually OLCI works well with domestic AA flights.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:04 am
Original Poster

The problem with OLCI is that my plane will leave HEL a little before T-24, and there's no wifi on board. And the rathole where I'll spend the night in Jackson Heights will very unlikely print a BP for me – I could of course try and see if the mobile BP works.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by ffay005
...and there's no wifi on board....
I thought that by now the whole AY long haul fleet is equipped with WiFi
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Oh yeah, oon jäles. They DO have wifi on the A330 now, too! Didn't remember that. It'll help me some, although I'd still want a BP on paper, but I guess I'll have to count on the mobile one.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / OWE
As AY plat I got myself to upgrade list all on my past 4 AA domestic flights. Though only 25% cleared.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Really? How did you do that? One of my AA flights have First, but aa.com doesn't show any possibility to upgrade. Agent put you on the list at the airport?

The website does recognize my status, though, because it lets me prebook MCE.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
Really? How did you do that? One of my AA flights have First, but aa.com doesn't show any possibility to upgrade. Agent put you on the list at the airport?

The website does recognize my status, though, because it lets me prebook MCE.
You don't have to do anything. They will put u on the upgrade list if there is availability in first. You can check the upgrade list and find your name on AA app if u use it. Upgrade list will appear to AA app few hours before flight.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by finhub
You don't have to do anything. They will put u on the upgrade list if there is availability in first. You can check the upgrade list and find your name on AA app if u use it. Upgrade list will appear to AA app few hours before flight.
Took a screenshot of the upgrade list.
I was nr 1 (AY plat) my friend (AY silver) was nr 3 and both cleared.
The AA app is really handy. Of course upgrades are visible at the gate monitors too if u don't want to use the app.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
Originally Posted by finhub
Took a screenshot of the upgrade list.
I was nr 1 (AY plat) my friend (AY silver) was nr 3 and both cleared.
The AA app is really handy. Of course upgrades are visible at the gate monitors too if u don't want to use the app.
Well this is a new one. And you're 100% sure you didn't have an AAdvantage FF on the reservation?

Maybe it's an IT glitch, because if not, and all OWEs are put on the same line as EXPs, all hell is going to break loose within the AAdvantage community
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by lkrt
Domestic lounge access, yes: this is a privilege not granted to those within AAdvantage. Priority security AA gives off to almost everyone. Extra piece of baggage is for all OWS and OWE members.

As an OWE you are also entitled to one complimentary snack + one drink onboard and Main Cabin Extra.
The complementary snack is pseudo-randomly delivered as far as I can tell. Much higher failure rate than the AY complimentary drink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.