Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY IT

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2022, 6:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by seldomrfly
Not bizarre at all. Completely normal nowadays. 🙂 However I doubt tha app says you have a "seat". It usually only says business without any seat assigned.
Nope, I see a seat number (not sure if it's assigned or not)
Old May 29, 2022, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by mpkz
Nope, I see a seat number (not sure if it's assigned or not)
Strange. Seems like the ticket is reissued then. I haven't got any seat those times when the "waitlist cleared hickup" has happened to me. I believed you won't get a seat if the ticket isn't reissued.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Latest experience with AY IT.

Flying MH + AY, both on AY code.

On the MH app I could check in for both flights, 60 (!) hrs before the AY flight, mobile BP issued for both legs (MH & AY operated)

On the AY app, only 36 hrs earlier... "no mobile boarding pass available on these flights..."

On the AY website "doc check", upload either FIN passport or covid docs for checking (similar to HEL-BKK) and after a while the site allows you to download a BP, but only for the AY leg.
BTW, my MH seat "xxA" shows as "middle seat". Is there someone sitting outside the fuselage? I must count myself lucky, then.

Back to the AY app it is STILL "no mobile boarding pass"

Bring back those 8th graders!
r2d2, intuition and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 8:07 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Are these issues mentioned in previous posts specific to AY? Do other customers of their IT vendor have similar problems?
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:17 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Finnair has a new partner, Wunderdog. No idea what other customers they have. But this is a fairly new arrangement and has not produced much visible results yet.
Current problems is likely from a flawed outsourcing/cloudification process of last year, and head of IT left/was made to leave halfway through.

However, one can't be sure what to blame. Some could be strategic decisions, where IT has no choice but to implement bad solutions.

Finnair also has internal development resources. Not sure how it holds up against the industry. And like most airlines there's a multitude of legacy systems that is a nightmare to maintain if you don't have skilled architects and/or you lose/sack experienced staff.
ffay005, Ed Size, GeeTee77 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:33 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
And like most airlines there's a multitude of legacy systems that is a nightmare to maintain if you don't have skilled architects and/or you lose/sack experienced staff.
This. It is odd however in a day and age where everyone is pushing to get bookings made on their own booking channels that AY has made this so damn difficult. Between the barely functional website and the unbearable wait times to speak to an agent over the phone, I wonder how many have been driven off to the likes of Expedia, etc. if just not to another carrier outright.

The IT experience can play a role in the traveler's overall experience, from booking to the use of an app, to customer communication. If this is soured any other service failures just become compounded. This should be a fairly easy win yet they are squandering it.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 5:32 am

Programs: Finnair Platinum, OWE
App prices

Has anyone figured what is the logic showing daily prices in the app. For some destinations it works always and for some never.
OH-LGG and remymartin like this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 5:52 am

Programs: AY LUMO
No logic.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 6:25 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Also, those prices aren't real. Only at the next stage, when you get the ±3 days grid, do you get real prices.
cistavoda likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by ffay005
Also, those prices aren't real. Only at the next stage, when you get the ±3 days grid, do you get real prices.
In my experience, the prices are "real" as in matching what is available (in the cases where the calendar view even works to begin with), but the problem is the logic behind the system. The first screen with the prices is utterly worthless for most people who don't have 100% flexibility (assuming that must be close to 100% of customers ). That first screen only shows the cheapest simple return with an outbound departure on the chosen date. Then, I might click on e.g. Friday the 24th thinking there's an opportunity for a "good" weekend trip deal at only 333€, but as I click that, I'm informed that with a return on the same Sunday the whole ticket is priced at e.g. 600€, whereas the 333€ ticket is only available with a return on a random Tuesday morning 27 days after the outbound and no other options even come close to the displayed price.

TL;DR: poorly designed
petteriusa likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 7:18 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I think it shows price of lowest available bucket and type for one segment but without any guarantee it is bookable. For instance they might show campaign light +cheap bucket on outbound, but unless they have released the same on the return there is nothing to combine the outbound with and so both segments get repriced.
This is why it works sometimes and not others.

The one who designed the daily price view had no insight into AY fare rules.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by OHPlatsku
Has anyone figured what is the logic showing daily prices in the app. For some destinations it works always and for some never.
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
No logic.
There is logic, but it is very annoying. You can't search prices e.g. to ARN, JFK, NRT but if you use STO, NYC, TYO prices can be shown.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: Finnair Platinum, OWE
Originally Posted by AY005
There is logic, but it is very annoying. You can't search prices e.g. to ARN, JFK, NRT but if you use STO, NYC, TYO prices can be shown.
Thank you, this resolved the issue. LHR => LON works. But very poor design indeed, as noted before.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:38 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
BTW, my MH seat "xxA" shows as "middle seat". Is there someone sitting outside the fuselage? I must count myself lucky, then.
Yeah, they manage to list that too for me, middle seat 2F on a Jetstar A320 .......

Looks to me, they don't have seat maps loaded for non-AY airplanes. And to avoid complaints, just verbalize the worst possible option in the overview.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 2:57 am

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
Originally Posted by SuloL
In my experience, the prices are "real" as in matching what is available (in the cases where the calendar view even works to begin with), but the problem is the logic behind the system. The first screen with the prices is utterly worthless for most people who don't have 100% flexibility (assuming that must be close to 100% of customers ). That first screen only shows the cheapest simple return with an outbound departure on the chosen date. Then, I might click on e.g. Friday the 24th thinking there's an opportunity for a "good" weekend trip deal at only 333€, but as I click that, I'm informed that with a return on the same Sunday the whole ticket is priced at e.g. 600€, whereas the 333€ ticket is only available with a return on a random Tuesday morning 27 days after the outbound and no other options even come close to the displayed price.

TL;DR: poorly designed
The prices aren't always real. It can be easily reproduced by searching one way flights. Quite often the prices shown on the calendar won't come up when continuing with the booking.
ffay005 and manywhere like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.