Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Big UPGRADE Thread – all you need to know about AY upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lkrt
General
Upgrade space is capacity controlled, separately from revenue space in J cabin. The number of seats released to the different upgrade types are driven by a number of factors, but never by the "there are unsold seats in J cabin, let's fill them" policy some other airlines employ. Same applies with upgrades to Premium Economy.

Upgrades now book into fare bucket U, which is also used for business class awards. Note that availability tools such as Expertflyer etc. may or may not show correct U availability as AY tends to offer additional U availability to Plats and Lumos, and this hidden availability is not shown by non-AY affiliated availability tools. Premium Economy upgrade availability is in bucket F, with the above disclaimers applying similarly.

You can upgrade and review the available upgrade options at https://www.finnair.com/en/manage/upgrade.

The searches below very often show zero availability. Very few directly confirmable seats are released in particularly longhaul J. Instead upgrades must go on waitlist, from where a robot processes upgrades from an unknown set of parameters. A waitlisted upgrade can clear in minutes or never, and there is no way to know. Waitlisted upgrades are checked at T-59, 21, 10, 5 days, and at T-37 hours.

Final check most often actually takes place at approximately ~T-38 hours and you will be (most often) notified by email. In case you are denied an upgrade at this point and there is still revenue availability in J, you can contact CS which may be able to upgrade you on the spot or contact "another department" for confirmation. Furthermore, you may contact check-in desk at least in HEL, which may be able to process your upgrade.

You can check for the upgrades upon booking on the Finnair website. Each flight has a separate tab for "Upgrades", showing upgrade availability for PE and J if any exists, otherwise you will be waitlisted. Additionally, you may check your upgrade options for an already-booked flight here. EF gives you an idea of upgrade availability in the U bucket.

Upgrade-types
1. Upgrades with points
2. Upgrades with vouchers
3. Cash upgrades
5. Cash upgrades at airport
6. Complimentary upgrades

Upgrades with AY+ points

Requirements:
  • flight marketed and operated by AY (operated by Norra is also eligible as well as op by Iberia or Widerψe for Finnair as wetlease)
  • ticketed booking in paid economy (there must be a ticket number in your reservation)
  • all paid economy booking classes are eligible
  • award flights and points+money combos are ineligible (booking class X)
  • you cannot upgrade any codeshare flights
  • It is not required to have a Finnair-issued ticket (although this has now been required according to some experiences)
Cost:
  • Northern Europe (ARN, BGO, CPH, GOT, KEF, KRK, OSL, WAW, WRO) 10,000 points one way
  • Rest of Europe, TLV 15,000 points one way
  • long haul (including DXB, DOH) 60,000 points one way
    • Previously, shorthaul connections were upgraded at the same cost but this has been discontinued as of 15JUN23. If you wish to upgrade a shorthaul feeder flight, a separate points charge will apply.
  • there have been some occasional promotions especially for short haul upgrades (winter and summer campaigns)
Process:
  • When booking, you can check for direct upgrade availability on "Upgrades" tab or by looking on Expertflyer for U bucket
  • once you have a ticketed booking, you can process your upgrade or waitlist yourself for upgrade online here
  • you may also call AY to process your upgrade at a 1000-point surcharge (does not apply to PE->J upgrades not available online)
  • If there is no availability, you can waitlist. A waitlisted upgrade may clear within hours of your request or up to 37 hours before STD. If it doesn't clear, after T-37 you may call AY, use the chat or go to the check-in desk at the airport and enquire about an upgrade.
    • your status is one of the factors affecting your priority on the waitlist
    • If there is no SH availability you can still upgrade the LH and waitlist the shorthaul. You'll pay the same points price even if SH does not clear though.
    • NOTE: If you wish to reserve your seat in original class, select the desired seats before waitlisting. After waitlisting it is not possible to select seats via Manage My Booking, however one can do that via Chat or Call Center.
  • if you waitlist, your points will be taken from your account immediately; if the upgrade does not clear, your points will be returned to you but you will lose any points that have expired during the waiting time
  • your points need to be valid at time of processing the request but they do not need to be valid on the day of the flight
  • When confirmed, you will receive a new e-ticket showing booking class U (or F for Premium Economy) but you will receive points/miles according to your original booking class (this may require a retroclaim if earning on other programmes than AY+)
  • Once you have a new ticket, your upgrade is confirmed. However, if J is overbooked on your flight, you will be among the first pax that AY will bump back into Y. J rarely gets overbooked, though.
  • as an unpublished perk, you may choose to change your upgrade from a points one to a voucher one by calling AY; your points will be returned to you save for any points that may have expired
  • If you change your mind about the upgrade you may conctact CS and ask to cancel the upgrade and have points returned. There likely must be seats left in Y cabin (or potentially, original booking class) to allow this, and your points expiry date must not have passed.

Perks:
  • Most of the J perks like priority check-in, priority security where available, lounge access, priority boarding. However the luggage allowance is one additional piece at 23kg (on top of your existing economy allowance).
  • you will receive points/miles according to your original economy class booking class (this may require a retroclaim if earning on other programmes than AY+)

Upgrades with vouchers
Vouchers are given to Finnair+ members upon advancing to and retaining the platinum and gold tiers. You can see number of vouchers, their type and expiry in your Finnair+ account.

Requirements:
  • flight marketed and operated by AY (operated by Norra is also eligible as well as op by Iberia or Widerψe for Finnair as wetlease)
  • ticketed booking in economy (there must be a ticket number in your reservation)
  • award flights booked via AY+ are also eligible (booking class X)
  • most likely, points+money combos are eligible, too, since they book into X, but we have no verification of this
  • award flights booked via parners (eg. Avios, AAdvantage etc) are not eligible
  • It is not required to have a Finnair-issued ticket (although this has now been required according to some experiences)

Cost:
  • Northern Europe one "European" voucher for a one-way flight
  • Rest of Europe, TLV one "European" voucher for a one-way flight
  • longhaul (including DXB, DOH) one "Longhaul" voucher for a one-way flight
  • LH voucher does not include upgrade for connecting shorthaul (like it does with points upgrades), SH flight requires a separate voucher/points upgrade
  • you may exchange four European vouchers for one "Longhaul" voucher or vice versa by calling AY

Process:
  • When booking, you can check for direct upgrade availability on "Upgrades" tab or by looking on Expertflyer for U bucket
  • once you have a ticketed booking, you can process your upgrade or waitlist yourself for upgrade online here
  • you may also call AY to process your upgrade at a 1000-point surcharge (does not apply to PE->J upgrades not available online)
  • If there is no availability, you can waitlist. A waitlisted upgrade may clear within hours of your request or up to 37 hours before STD. If it doesn't clear, after T-37 you may call AY, use the chat or go to the check-in desk at the airport and enquire about an upgrade.
    • your status is one of the factors affecting your priority on the waitlist
    • If there is no SH availability you can still upgrade the LH and waitlist the shorthaul. You'll pay the same points price even if SH does not clear though.
    • NOTE: If you wish to reserve your seat in original class, select the desired seats before waitlisting. After waitlisting it is not possible to select seats via Manage My Booking, however one can do that via Chat or Call Center.
  • if you waitlist, your voucher will be taken from your account immediately; if the upgrade does not clear, your voucher will be returned to you but you will lose any vouchers that have expired during the waiting time
  • you will receive a new e-ticket showing booking class U but you will receive points/miles according to your original booking class (this may require a retroclaim if earning on other programmes than AY+)
  • Once you have a new ticket, your upgrade is confirmed. However, if J is overbooked on your flight, you will be among the first pax that AY will bump back into Y. J rarely gets overbooked, though.
  • If you change your mind about the upgrade you can contact CS and ask to cancel the upgrade and have voucher returned. There likely must be seats left in Y cabin (or original booking class) to allow this, and your voucher expiry date must not have passed.

Perks:
  • all usual J perks like priority check-in, one additional piece of baggage (23kg), priority security where available, lounge access, priority boarding
  • you will receive points/miles according to your original economy class booking class (this may require a retroclaim if earning on other programmes than AY+)

Cash upgrades, offered on website / app
On the app as well as on the upgrade tool you can review if an upgrade is offered at a cash price. The prices vary, and reports can be seen here. The cash prices become available at 60 days prior to departure and may fluctuate in the timeframe prior to departure.

Requirements:
  • flight marketed and operated by AY (or operated by Norra or Iberia or Widerψe for Finnair (wetlease))
  • ticketed booking in paid economy (there must be a ticket number in your reservation)
  • you do not need to be a AY+ member

Cost:
Process:
  • Check the app or the upgrade tool for cash prices (earliest 60 days prior to departure)
  • you will receive a new e-ticket showing booking class U but you will receive points/miles according to your original booking class (this may require a retroclaim if earning on other programmes than AY+)

Perks:
  • Most of the J perks like priority check-in, priority security where available, lounge access, priority boarding. However the luggage allowance is one additional piece at 23kg (on top of your existing economy allowance).

Upgrades paid in cash at the airport

(Note that according to recent reports, check-in agents are in some cases only able to process last-minute points and voucher upgrades.)

Requirements:
  • upgrades may be available for purchase at check-in
  • flight operated by AY or Norra
  • ticketed booking in economy
  • most likely AY+ & partner award flights in economy are eligible, too, though this is unconfirmed
  • the marketing carrier does not matter, so this is the only upgrade where codeshares are eligible

Cost:
  • varies, expect to pay some hundreds of euros for long haul one way

Process:
  • the upgrade will be processed and paid for at the check-in desk of the airport of departure
  • most likely the above means the airport of departure of that particular flight, so to upgrade HEL-BKK on a CPH-HEL-BKK itinerary, you would need to contact (transfer) check-in at HEL
  • you will receive points/miles according to your original booking class (this may require a retroclaim if earning on other programmes than AY+)
  • Once you have a new ticket, your upgrade is confirmed. The odds of being bumped back into Y are close to 0 as AY will not offer these upgrades if J is overbooked

Perks:
  • Only in-flight perks apply
  • Lounge access, priority security, additional checked in baggage is not extended to airport upgraders

Complimentary operational upgrades
  • usually just a new boarding pass & seat either at the gate, at check-in or even after you have boarded
  • few and far between
  • the decision whom to upgrade on a particular flight seems a bit random but is at least partially dependent on the price of your ticket, booking class and status
    • AY highest tier members (Lumos, Plats, Golds) are prioritised with the travelling party size affecting upgrade priority (i.e. if only one seat is available in J, the party will not be split)
Print Wikipost

The Big UPGRADE Thread – all you need to know about AY upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:10 am

Programs: AY Plat
Booked award HEL - DUS trip, which is a bit less than 2 months away. Upgraded the flights with vouchers to business. Both upgrades cleared instantly. Wish it were the same for LH flights..
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: AY plat / OWE
Originally Posted by Panix
I have a flight back from SIN, waitlisted J with voucher. Called the Gold hotline concerning another topic a few days ago, but also asked for the waitlist status. The agent told me she is supersure it will clear 2 days before the flight because J seems to be very empty. Anyways, the waitlist didn't clear and it's still possible to buy at least 8 J tickets. Maybe there is so many Plats on the flight or maybe they keep it empty?
Same pattern continues, they want you to pay. In Europe it's maybe piece of cake to get voucher upgrade excluding probably LHR A350 flights.
There will not be so many waitlisted platinas, pretty sure about that.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: AY Plat
I have a flight back from SIN, waitlisted J with voucher. Called the Gold hotline concerning another topic a few days ago, but also asked for the waitlist status. The agent told me she is supersure it will clear 2 days before the flight because J seems to be very empty. Anyways, the waitlist didn't clear and it's still possible to buy at least 8 J tickets. Maybe there is so many Plats on the flight or maybe they keep it empty?
Just one datapoint to add for SIN-HEL, had 2 different single pax bookings for same flight both AY Gold waitlisted for few months and they cleared at about T-37 hours. After that they still had 3 J seats for sale which ended up empty. Luckily they didn't even offer any cash upgrades AFAIK. This was in July.
Panix likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 11:23 pm

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
I did a couple of European flights lately, sometimes I upgraded, sometimes it cleared sometime it don t. But I was also hoping for OpUps, but never happened, and I realized that those OpUps are really unlikley these days, since they simply move the divider the way they needed it. A full plane in Y meant only one or two rows of J, a empty plane in Y meant 8 - 9 rows of J. Two times they changed the divider in HEL from 8 rows of J to one row of J (I was connecting on the same plane).

So is there any chance this days to get an OpUp on intraeuropean flights?

For me that looked like the airline wanted to keep the load factor high, since they communicate this in percent, a small but full Y is still at 80+% loaded.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 11:42 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Ed Size
So is there any chance this days to get an OpUp on intraeuropean flights?
Of course and very much so, say there’s 5 J passengers, you need two J rows and there are still three empty seats. They sell these seats in both J and Y availability and if Y becomes -1…-3 overbooked, 1…3 passengers are op-upped.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:43 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by Furry
Trying to fly AY after 2,x years but it seems very hard as now two times my flight is cancelled (this time there was not even a note from them, just realized it T-10 days ramdomly checking in the App).

Is it still like it used to be long time ago that if an upgrade has "cleared" but not yet re-ticketed the upgraded portion shows separately/twice in my booking -page? I have a return flight in 1,5 weeks where both directions are on waitlist, the outbound shows only one reservation in Economy TKU-HEL-XXX and says "Business Class upgrade request is on a waitlist for your flight to xxx"

But the inbound flight shows whole itinerary XXX-HEL-TKU as Business class and the XXX-HEL portion shows Economy, different than the outbound one.
Both didn't clear unfortunately. Seems that after T-37 when the bot does it decision there is nothing you can do? Probably rev mgnt keeps 1-2 free for last minute bookings / reroutings etc. Not happy camper as a result I lost 2 expired vouchers, so next time need to burn them asap.

Outbound had 2 free seats (5 rows of J), inbound 3 free seats (only 1 row of J) in the end. Otherwise the flights were pretty full in Y, load factor +90% (probably bcs of cancellations around these dates)
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:54 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by lkrt
Of course and very much so, say there’s 5 J passengers, you need two J rows and there are still three empty seats. They sell these seats in both J and Y availability and if Y becomes -1…-3 overbooked, 1…3 passengers are op-upped.
Is this happening frequently? I saw more empty J seats as I saw empty Y seats percentage wise. So I won t bet on an OpUp on intra european, I rather think its more likely to get on long haul flights, because they can t move the curtain so fast.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: Finnair Plus Platinum
Had a pleasant surprise today with upgrades. I had a HEL-NRT round trip booked for november during the 3x points campaign in eco flex that I needed to adjust the dates for. I was on wait list both ways with vouchers, and the agent in the chat said there was no upgrade availability for the new dates. She moved the dates and I received a new eticket receipt. However, four minutes later, I received another new eticket receipt that showed the upgrade for the return flight had cleared
ffay005 likes this.

Last edited by Sakimori; Aug 10, 2022 at 7:36 am
Old Aug 10, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: Eurobonus gold, Finnair silver
Flying JFK-ARN today. Booked in premium economy (as part of the status promotion for flights out of ARN). Converted the four vouchers you get for getting to gold to an international upgrade voucher and waitlisted to upgrade the flight - the business class upgrade cleared 24 hours before the flight.

Off topic, but on the way out loved the new premium economy seat. The ‘soft’ product was pretty soso - food portions were a bit small and the drinks were served warm. I think I’l stick with SAS premium economy which feels a bit more like ‘business class-‘ than ‘economy+‘.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:46 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by barbro66
Flying JFK-ARN today. Booked in premium economy (as part of the status promotion for flights out of ARN). Converted the four vouchers you get for getting to gold to an international upgrade voucher and waitlisted to upgrade the flight - the business class upgrade cleared 24 hours before the flight.

Off topic, but on the way out loved the new premium economy seat. The ‘soft’ product was pretty soso - food portions were a bit small and the drinks were served warm. I think I’l stick with SAS premium economy which feels a bit more like ‘business class-‘ than ‘economy+‘.
AY catering has reached a point that it’s not funny anymore, fully agreed. Single tray long haul J service is a complete joke.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 11:35 am

So, like 10h before the flight a agent in the chat waitlisted me again. At SIN airport I first had to wait, because their "manager" was not there and she had to decide if they can clear the upgrade request. After an hour she arrived and they checked for 10 minutes. Then they asked me for proof of the voucher which is a bit ridiculos cause the moment they waitlist you they take it "away". So they needed to call somone in Helsinki and 10 minutes later it got approved. It then took another 15 mins to check me in (two agents worked on and on to check me in). From my perspective it seemed that they were not used to clear waitlist upgrades at the check-in, seemed so "new". Anyways, in the end I was happy that my upgrade cleared! I didn't count exactly but at least 3 seats in J were still free (and in J were at least a few gold and a few platinum members ).
r2d2 and ffay005 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 11:39 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
So we can now waitlist again within the T-36h window? Very confusing..
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: AY+Plat
So, like 10h before the flight a agent in the chat waitlisted me again. At SIN airport I first had to ............ So they needed to call somone in Helsinki and 10 minutes later it got approved. ..........
Glad that it worked out for you.

Two new things I learned from this:
  • It is possible to waitlist even after T37
  • They are allowed to make a call to Helsinki ( which they were not allowed 3 weeks ago according to gate agents)
In conclusion, anything is possible and not possible at the same time depending on whom you speak to at AY!
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by lento
Glad that it worked out for you.

Two new things I learned from this:
  • It is possible to waitlist even after T37
  • They are allowed to make a call to Helsinki ( which they were not allowed 3 weeks ago according to gate agents)
In conclusion, anything is possible and not possible at the same time depending on whom you speak to at AY!
It was also a surprise for me, that it was possible to get waitlisted again that shortly before the flight. The agent in the chat told me to check with the check-in staff at SIN then, what I did. At SIN they were always refering to my waitlist, so I don't know if they would also have me upgraded if I hadn't been on the waitlist. And the call to Helsinki was made because they needed a "proof for a voucher". I don't think that Helsinki allowed the upgrade, I think it was the local manager (aka "head of check-in staff" - and she had a Dnata outfit).
intuition and lento like this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: AY plat / OWE
It was also a surprise for me, that it was possible to get waitlisted again that shortly before the flight. The agent in the chat told me to check with the check-in staff at SIN then, what I did. At SIN they were always refering to my waitlist, so I don't know if they would also have me upgraded if I hadn't been on the waitlist. And the call to Helsinki was made because they needed a "proof for a voucher". I don't think that Helsinki allowed the upgrade, I think it was the local manager (aka "head of check-in staff" - and she had a Dnata outfit).
I have also asked them add me again to waitlist after the "T37" until boarding but without result and in check in they try to sold it.... By the way they have sent me upgrade rejection much over 40h before flight. Before covid I never faced rejection situation but got also plenty of op ups. Off records too, I can say that CX has given me "almost same" amount of upgrades than AY with vouchers.
Try sometimes to ask what is your waitlist number... they will not tell. When I called to CS some junior person said to me "wait for moment", put me on hold and after while said that unfortunately can not tell. Make a guess what happened...
Asked about refunding process of unused vouchers. Of course it's not possible to extend or give corresponding amount of points even expiration it's not customer based fault.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.