Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair Business class

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Finnair Business class

I am exploring the idea f flying Finnair from Manchester to Bangkok in business class. I know the leg between Manchester and Helsinki will be economy with better service.

What is people experience with short transfers at Helsinki and also with the A350 to BKK. I have been a regular with Etihad (with some flights also with Qatar) but apart from a declining service I am fed up with faulty in flight entertainment and the second rate airport at Abu Dhabi where all to often there is no separate premium channel for premium users and no priority given to premium travels boarding (on the 777s that serve my routes)

I would miss the chauffeur but does anyone have any views - oh yes I would be saving £300 or so on the trip
Old May 16, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Try it - I think you'll like it. HEL is a really nice and efficient airport to connect in - definitely my favorite European hub airport. You'll also appreciate getting a full night of sleep on your way instead of having to connect in the Middle East.

The only real downside will be the MAN-HEL segment, which will see you spending two-and-a-half hours on a small E190 regional jet with cramped seating (31 inches of pitch).

If you have flown on Qatars' A350, don't expect the same generous amount of space on Finnair. AY chose to have a markedly denser cabin - where QR has 6 rows of seating (and a bit of the bar) between doors L1 and L2, AY squeezes in 8 rows of seats which are both a bit narrower and shorter. The seats as such are very much OK and totally acceptable, though. Check the A350 thread for info and opinions: Finnair A350 XWB master thread

I've only ever been to the rather nice premium lounge (which you won't be able to access without oneworld status even as business class passenger), so can't comment on the regular lounge. I love using the sauna before a long overnight flight.
Old May 16, 2017, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Not flown on A350 before - and to be honest I got a bit put off going through the Finnair 350 sticky thread with 900+ contributions to try and find info

yes I was aware of the downside of the hop from Manchester and this is a problem with most (if not all) European short haul business classes and a far cry from the excellent shorthaul business class you get for similar flights and aircraft in the Far East

Not sure if I will have lost gold status by the time I fly and be back on silver but given transfer times are short unlikely to have time to use Sauna unless miss connection!
Old May 16, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Yeas, and the small ex-Flybe Nordic Embraers they use on your route compound this. The premium cabin on their Airbus shorthaul fleet has at least the blocked middle seat going for it. I found the catering to be OK, though.

Connecting in Helsinki really is a less-than-30-minutes affair outside of the morning and evening rush hours when the terminal is packed. You definitely have enough time for a (short) sauna visit with a two-hour connection .

Finnair uses the same critically-acclaimed Zodiac cirrus seat on their A350s that lots of other airlines like Cathay, AA (on their 777-300) EVA or JAL have installed to favorable reviews. If you have flown a Cathay 777 and liked it, you'll be happy on the Finnair A350.
The A350 cabin on Finnair *feels* airy and spacious, too - there's no overhead bins over the middle seats.

Last edited by bhomburg; May 16, 2017 at 6:36 am
Old May 16, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by amnicoll
Thanks. Not flown on A350 before - and to be honest I got a bit put off going through the Finnair 350 sticky thread with 900+ contributions to try and find info

yes I was aware of the downside of the hop from Manchester and this is a problem with most (if not all) European short haul business classes and a far cry from the excellent shorthaul business class you get for similar flights and aircraft in the Far East

Not sure if I will have lost gold status by the time I fly and be back on silver but given transfer times are short unlikely to have time to use Sauna unless miss connection!
A350 is a great plane to fly with, quiet and very good air quality. Finnair has selected to have somewhat denser seat configuration in business class than some other carriers, but after flown quite a few times, I'd say the seats are quite comfortable after all (as I'm not very tall), the more I have flown with those, the more I have learned to like them, especially if I'm travelling alone.

Service on Finnair can be a hit or miss, with the better ones it can be outstanding, and lately I haven't run into any of the not-so-good ones. It is Scandinavian, efficient but friendly, definately not the fuzz one has used to with some Far Eastern or Gulf carriers. If that fuzz and pampering is what you are after, then Finnair prob will not be your choice. Catering has improved quite alot during last years and lately their signature menus have been very good.

Transfers should be quite painless. When arriving from MAN, there will be no additional security check or passport control so when you get to the terminal, you'll be entering the departure hall directly. Transfer times shouldn't be any kind of an issue.

One big advantage is that long haul is uninterrupted 9-10h flight, allowing sleeping, whereas with Gulf carriers it will be two shorter flights and perhaps some sleep in two parts, which definately is not my cup of tea.

After all, it is a question what you value when travelling. If you are not totally put off by the connecting flight MAN-HEL on an Embraer, and pampering onboard is not essential for you, perhaps you can try Finnair, as they do offer quite good connections and comfortable journey on the long haul flight.
Cupart likes this.

Last edited by Purjelentaja; May 17, 2017 at 4:12 am
Old May 16, 2017, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by bhomburg
Yeas, and the small ex-Flybe Nordic Embraers they use on your route compound this.
Tiny detail: Actually the Embraers are not ex-Flybe, but were only operated by Flybe when Flybe was the operator of Finnair Embraers and ATRs. Now they are operated by Nordic Regional Airlines (Norra, partly owned by Finnair, just like Flybe Nordic was), but the planes have been and still are owned by Finnair since new.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Just noticed that the return from Bangkok is on the A330 any comments on this and is it all 2-2-2 or do they use the version with single window seats on this route

I am not sure that fuzz and pampering is what you get on Etihad - on my last 4 flights with them I had one excellent crew(and wrote to the airline praising them) and 3 that were simply good but nothing to write home about.

the far eastern airlines using 737s and the like have excellent properly designed business class cabins with 2+2 (3+3 in economy) decent leg room (around 42inches) and wider seats - worth paying for unlike the European counterparts (although as an ad on to long haul sector then just have to put up with and suffer)
Old May 16, 2017, 7:00 am

Just noticed that the return from Bangkok is on the A330 any comments on this and is it all 2-2-2 or do they use the version with single window seats on this route
A330 is in older 2-2-1/1-2-1 configuration (seatmap https://www.finnair.com/go/2017.5-48...TR_seatmap.jpg). If travelling alone, choose either any L-seat (single seat with aisle access and window), or for more space 2A, 4A, 6A or 8A (also single seat with aisle access and window).

A350 seatmap: https://www.finnair.com/go/2017.5-48...50_seatmap.jpg
Old May 16, 2017, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that. Yes would have gone for the singles anyway (no stepping over to get to the toilet) but seat guru had this down as 2-2-2
Old May 16, 2017, 7:48 am

Thanks for that. Yes would have gone for the singles anyway (no stepping over to get to the toilet) but seat guru had this down as 2-2-2
Seatguru is badly outdated and unreliable, and they don't correct the wrong information even after feedback given. They still display A340s that have been out of fleet for quite some time already, also versions that disappeared years back, and for A330s still the old 2-2-2 seating that has been gone for some years already.
Old May 16, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
The A350 is awesome. I flew the HEL-SIN route.
The free internet is fast and reliable. I had a video call with my son while in flight. He thought that was great.

Helsinki airport is great and easy. At the lounge, I took advantage of the sauna. It got me rested and ready for the flight.

The seat is comfortable, the screen is large, and the amenities acceptable.
The 2 things I didn't like about the seats (I'm nitpicking):
1) The foot area narrows a little more than I would like
2) The large TV screen doesn't tilt, the angle is bad when trying to watch lying down.

I thought the food was good. I'll see if I can find some pics and post for the A350.
Old May 16, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
Seatguru is badly outdated and unreliable, and they don't correct the wrong information even after feedback given. They still display A340s that have been out of fleet for quite some time already, also versions that disappeared years back, and for A330s still the old 2-2-2 seating that has been gone for some years already.
Finnair A330 with a 2-2-2 J seating? Never heard of such...
Old May 16, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
The A350 is awesome. I flew the HEL-SIN route.
The free internet is fast and reliable. I had a video call with my son while in flight. He thought that was great.
Only one hour free internet since the beginning of April in J.
Old May 16, 2017, 9:32 am

Picture of the seats on A350. You can sea how it tapers at the end. If you are very tall, it would be difficult to sleep on your back. I sleep on my side so it didn't bother me at all.

Name:  20170122_102821.jpg
Views: 2838
Size:  151.8 KB

Name:  20170121_163443.jpg
Views: 3140
Size:  130.4 KB
Old May 16, 2017, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Jainzar
Only one hour free internet since the beginning of April in J.
That sux. I took my flight in February. That was a great unexpected perk.

Does it have to be continuous?

I wonder if they will give OWE the same benefit as Finnair Plus Platinum for unlimited wi-fi. Maybe one of those not advertised, but their system can't handle distinguishing between the two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.