Finnair Business class

Old May 17, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
HEL ... is small and compact ...
heh heh

I first flew into HEL in 1992. Then it was small and compact. Nowadays ... not so much.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Ed, I think that you are too harsh on the A350 and on AY J. The service issues are real, goes to show that AY service can be real hit and miss - but that's not aircraft type specific.
The seat issues you mentioned I filed under "minor annoyances" .
For me it s just the other way round, I file the service under minor issues, the seat is just not working for me, I m tall and have large feets (Size 12,5), they just don´t fit into the tunnel.

At my recognition, the service issues started with the A 350 (I guess it s because they can t use the trolleys no more).

Before they started in row one had more or less anything on the trolley and go onwards to the end of the cabin. Now the FA first goes to seat 1A asked the pax about his needs, go back to the galley and bring the needed meal to pax 1A, the same procedure with every seat. So going back and forward twice to each seat to bring the meal - way slower then the "I have everything on the trolley option".

Also once they in row 3 or 4, the pax in row 1 or 2 start asking for more water, wine, beer whatsoever - and they also take care about those pax before proceeding the meal service.

Also before the FAs are responsible for the mini cabin, start to serve the main cabin from the back, once they are done with their job, now they need longer time in the back, so they may could help for only for little time in in the main cabin.

When at our recent flight, they stopped serving pre-take-off drinks in row 5 and in row 7 - when the pilot told them to be ready for take-off.

Last edited by Ed Size; May 17, 2017 at 12:51 am
Old May 17, 2017, 12:42 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Ed Size
For me it s just the other way round, I file the service under minor issues, the seat is just not working for me, I m tall and have large feets (Size 12,5), they just don´t fit into the tunnel.

At my recognition, the service issues started with the A 350 (I guess it s because they can t use the trolleys no more).

Before they started in row one had more or less anything on the trolley and go onwards to the end of the cabin. Now the FA first goes to seat 1A asked the pax about his needs, go back to the galley and bring the needed meal to pax 1A, the same procedure with every seat. So going back and forward twice to each seat to bring the meal - way slower then the "I have everything on the trolley option".

Also once they in row 3 or 4, the pax in row 1 or 2 start asking for more water, wine, beer whatsoever - and they also take care about those pax before proceeding the meal service.
Ed, you hit the nail on the head. This is exactly how I feel about the AY A350. It is ok for a day flight if seated in the first 2 rows. Anything else is not working, seat sucks for sleeping (a big guy, too) and the service is very slow for the reasons you mention.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:48 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Have only limited experience w/ A350, but that is positive (maybe I had low expectations due to the very low opinion people on FT are having about the AY A350).

Did fly HEL-SIN-HEL in J in April and (maybe I just got lucky with the crew), but was pretty happy with the service. After taking my seat FA came and asked if I'd like pre-departure drink. Also, prior to departure they took my meal order, so there was no "going back and forward twice to each seat to bring the meal ". On both routes my order was taken first (was not sitting in row 1), so can only assume that it was an indirect status recognition. On the SIN-HEL flight also purser came to talk to me after take off, asking me to contact her if there is anything they can do to make my flight more comfortable.

Regarding the seat issue, I was all prepared for not fitting in it at all (193 cm w/ feet size 46), but turned to my side I actually had a pretty good sleep and was able to spend the whole day at the office after landing in Helsinki, without any issues. Don't get me wrong, I was cramped, but not to the level that it would have seariously bothered me.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by henry999
heh heh

I first flew into HEL in 1992. Then it was small and compact. Nowadays ... not so much.

Well compared to somewhere like LHR or ORD it's small and compact
Old May 17, 2017, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
After taking my seat FA came and asked if I'd like pre-departure drink. Also, prior to departure they took my meal order, so there was no "going back and forward twice to each seat to bring the meal ". On both routes my order was taken first (was not sitting in row 1), so can only assume that it was an indirect status recognition.
It is status recognition, my Plat ended 1st of Jan and I lost this perks, while my wife still got them until April (her Plat expired by May).

And also on the mentioned flight, the FAs took good care about two or three pax not seated in row 1.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I am convinced - despite the Manchester/Helsinki leg and on the long haul not too worried about space as not tall

With tight connections is Finnair good at getting luggage on same flight as you (not worried on return leg but real pain for me on outward leg if it goes missing)
Old May 17, 2017, 3:59 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by amnicoll
With tight connections is Finnair good at getting luggage on same flight as you
They are IMHO excellent.
Old May 17, 2017, 4:10 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
They are IMHO excellent.
Second to that. I have been flying extensively with AY for 20 years+ and only lost luggage twice, in conjuction with AY. Once connecting from AF to AY and once connecting from AY to AA and in both cases the luggage was lost by the other carrier's ground handling. But, I must admit, I rarely connect AY-AY and that is what really matters.
Old May 17, 2017, 4:19 am

Lost my luggage once, and it was partly my fault, got two 150€ prepaid credit cards and the luggage was in my hotel 24 hours late. Traveling since 15 years with AY and had up to 16 returns a year. So there is no problem even if the UK connections tight sometimes I would not bother.
Old May 17, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
had 50 minute connection coming from LHR to BKK via HLL and bags made it
Old May 17, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Finnair delayed my luggage twice, AY-CX at HKG and BA-AY at LHR.

I am not sure if HEL-based people (including me) can really judge on the likelihood of Finnair losing bags though. That should concern passengers in HEL more.
Old May 19, 2017, 4:15 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold
HEL: Great for connections even with less than 1 hour as many have already said.
AY J HEL-BKK//BKK-HEL: Be prepared for backpackers getting upgraded from Y to J (and if you are lucky their friends left behind in Y will come running on and off without any interference from the crew = at least that was my impression).
AY A350 J: I like the seats (same "type" as CX uses I believe) and the cabin is actually very quiet (I like it much better than the B788 tbh)

Just my 2 cents...
Old May 19, 2017, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
thanks every one very helpful -
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Hi,
Do rows 1 & 9 plus the windows seats in row 10 on the A350 xwb have more room for your feet when in the lie-flat bed position than in other rows ?
Cheers.

Last edited by Sisyphus1carus; Dec 23, 2017 at 11:27 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.