Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair LHR - IAH Upgrade bidding queries

Finnair LHR - IAH Upgrade bidding queries

Old Apr 29, 17, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb Finnair LHR - IAH Upgrade bidding queries

Hey All,

Me and my partner are flying LHR to IAH on 25/05 with Finnair, operated by BA, booked via Sky Scanner.
AY Ticket type, economy booked but keen to upgrade.

I've communicated back and forth with the Finnair page on Facebook and via phone, their 'upgrade' fees currently are very high that they've quoted + fees, I'm keen to give this bidding for upgrades a shot, but worried I'm going to miss the opportunity.

On the finnair plus booking area it says our booking class is O, what does that mean?
Can anyone advise if this is possible to upgrade, rough idea of how the process works, when I'd receive the opportunity to bid and how much would be realistic to bid in order to secure an upgrade to business?

Thanks!
AP
Old Apr 29, 17, 5:40 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Welcome to FT.

Even if you have a AY code on the ticket, it's a BA flight. Upgrades through AY are not possible. Upgrades through BA are most likely not possible. The only thing you might do is to enquire at the check-in desk at LHR if a cash upgrade is possible.

In future, avoid codeshares. This topic might be a good read: Current disadvantages on code share flights
Old Apr 30, 17, 11:57 am

Programs: SK EBD/baEC G/MR PP/A3 *G/AA G/CC G/HH G/IHG Spire
Originally Posted by TwoToneAlex View Post
Hey All,

Me and my partner are flying LHR to IAH on 25/05 with Finnair, operated by BA, booked via Sky Scanner.
AY Ticket type, economy booked but keen to upgrade.

I've communicated back and forth with the Finnair page on Facebook and via phone, their 'upgrade' fees currently are very high that they've quoted + fees, I'm keen to give this bidding for upgrades a shot, but worried I'm going to miss the opportunity.

On the finnair plus booking area it says our booking class is O, what does that mean?
Can anyone advise if this is possible to upgrade, rough idea of how the process works, when I'd receive the opportunity to bid and how much would be realistic to bid in order to secure an upgrade to business?

Thanks!
AP
Indeed on ba operated you might be able to use a AUP upgrade at the airport but those are NOT cheap for a economy to business upgrade... the baEC forum had details on the Airport Upgrade Promotions
Old May 1, 17, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kauppias View Post
Indeed on ba operated you might be able to use a AUP upgrade at the airport but those are NOT cheap for a economy to business upgrade... the baEC forum had details on the Airport Upgrade Promotions
Thanks!

Can you advise of a link or thread for this info? This would be upgrading direct with British Airways on the day?
Old May 1, 17, 6:14 am

Programs: anti-MaRiot SPG-P IHG-S HH-D LeClub/CC-G, BA/A3-G DL/AY-P, Octopus
Originally Posted by TwoToneAlex View Post
Thanks!

Can you advise of a link or thread for this info? This would be upgrading direct with British Airways on the day?
Airport Upgrade (AUP) cost tracking thread is the link kauppias is referring to.

I have never tried AUP on a codeshare flight. There may be additional challenges due to the fact that your flight number is not BA xxxx. BA operates up to four classes on their aircraft. Economy to Premium Economy is around 250 one-way - Economy to Business Class a lot more.
Old May 1, 17, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by remymartin View Post
Airport Upgrade (AUP) cost tracking thread is the link kauppias is referring to.

I have never tried AUP on a codeshare flight. There may be additional challenges due to the fact that your flight number is not BA xxxx. BA operates up to four classes on their aircraft. Economy to Premium Economy is around 250 one-way - Economy to Business Class a lot more.
Indeed that is the one I was referring to

I have AUPed a codeshare flight but that was years ago, so not sure how it is dealt with these days, but the Club world (ba business) upgrades are indeed sold at a premium too high for my taste. The WTP their premium economy offers a much better value in my opinion...
Old May 1, 17, 11:47 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo,SPG Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum (IEC&FI)
I can confirm that BA AUP worked very well with AY flight number, AY ticket number and BA metal - experience from last week. BA didn't have any problems with my upgrade.
Old May 1, 17, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by miikka View Post
I can confirm that BA AUP worked very well with AY flight number, AY ticket number and BA metal - experience from last week. BA didn't have any problems with my upgrade.
That is indeed great news! Though its been years since I did that

I learned the hardway this week that AY WILL NOT upgrade a AY flight that sold as a ba flight, live and learn
Old May 3, 17, 4:15 am

Programs: AY+ Platsku, IC Plat. Amb., HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by miikka View Post
Did you manage to claim upgraded points to AY+ like BA gives to BAEC?
Old May 3, 17, 5:31 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo,SPG Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum (IEC&FI)
Originally Posted by mebe View Post
Did you manage to claim upgraded points to AY+ like BA gives to BAEC?
I upgraded to World Traveller Plus and I believe AY is still giving only 100% for that. I got points based on AY flight number, Value level and Platinum bonus so cannot complain.

The BA side was showing that my fare class was upgraded so if I wouldn't have chickened out and would have paid for Business upgrade then I would assume that AY would have seen it is a true Business class flight.

Edit: Correction, AY web site is reporting Value (K) still so AY doesn't see the higher fare class apparently what BA is seeing. Funny thing was that once they processed the upgrade, they temporarily lost my AY Plus number from the reservation. Easy fix but maybe something to be careful at and possibly also indicating why AY doesn't see the higher fare class because it might be that BA works only within their systems and doesn't touch the Amadeus on this. In similar fashion, MyFlights app was reporting my old seat all the time and didn't show the new seat so Amadeus booking was not updated but only BA reservation side. While the World Traveller Plus produced W for me, then there is no difference from AY side as AY W wouldn't produce higher points but I wonder what happens if I would have gone for Business upgrade.

Last edited by miikka; May 3, 17 at 11:14 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: