Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Fazer becomes the lounge operator at HEL

Fazer becomes the lounge operator at HEL

Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Was there the first time since Fazer took over - did not like the new concept.

Close to no self service food, ordering food was kind of complicated since there where no menus and no signs for them (without this FT I never had the idea to order food there).

The food was very good, my wife says "close to Luftwaffe FCL" (I got a kind of lamb loaf), but small portions. It looks like the old staff is still working there, everybody is just super friendly.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:14 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Might this think with missing menus just be that they haven't managed to print them yet? I remember that HKG the Wing First re-opened without menus and everyone was very confused about it - but menus arrived a few months after opening.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
I've been very satisfied with Fazer so far, not have visited non-Schengen side yet, though.

The improvement on the Schengen side is huge. Two different options on soup and dessert, nice-looking presentation of the options and better staff. I'm also glad about the new "fresh options" such as the varying smoothie.

I just hope they'd introduce champagne!
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: AY+ Plat Basic
1st Fazer experience as well - what a welcome change!

Schengen, lazy saturday morning with very few visitors. Great food on offer - tried delicious goat cheese omelette, some quiche that was just as delicious, and some cute little sandwiches with cheese & cucumber. The smoothie (mango for me) is a great idea - it's a bit warm the way it's being served but staff kept it very nicely presented. This is not an exhaustive list of what was on offer, rather just what I chose to sample (there were also karelian pasties, boston cake with cinnamon, porridge, maybe something else).

The food selection was good enough for me not to go see whether the drinks/spirits selection has improved (which has been a weak point in HEL Schengen thus far). Next time I guess! Good stuff so far.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:13 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Did anyone do an evening visit to the non-schengen side?
I am wondering is they still are offering hot meals for the late night departures (SIN, HKG)?
They've updated the lounge descriptions on their website saying hot meals are served between 14 and 18 - expanding the hours from the earlier 15-17:30, but dropping the 21-23:59 meal service.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by intuition
Did anyone do an evening visit to the non-schengen side?
I am wondering is they still are offering hot meals for the late night departures (SIN, HKG)?
They've updated the lounge descriptions on their website saying hot meals are served between 14 and 18 - expanding the hours from the earlier 15-17:30, but dropping the 21-23:59 meal service.
A colleague was visiting there some time ago before HKG flight and only hot meal available was the Indian tomato soup.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:45 am
Moderator, Finnair

Sounds like they've dropped evening meals, as soup is served all day (10-24).

Since these night meals were offered in conjunction with the "midnight menu" (ie reduced service onboard) it would be interesting to know if they adjusted inflight service accordingly. I have a HKG flight in a few weeks so I will find out.

Last edited by intuition; Jul 30, 2017 at 2:51 am
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:33 am

Today

Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:21 am
Original Poster

My first time in the Premium lounge after the change: I must say I'm very glad. The service is better, there's a dedicated smiling drinks attendant and the a'la carte-offered salmon tasted excellent. Amouse bouches in the buffet are of high quality and everything is served with a smile.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I have to say that the food in the Schengen lounge has improved dramatically.

Today at around 11 am, they had mushroom soup (a bit watery but ok), Karelian pastries and munavoi (good!) and feta-spinach pies (not very good), small chocolate bites they called mudcake and bostonkakku (has nothing to do with Boston cream pie, but it's very good). Unfortunately, today's smoothie was lingonberry but I suppose there's variety so I just happened to be there on the wrong day.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
I have to say, I'm not so happy with the new selection in the Schengen lounge.

If they could at least make the soup vegetarian and have some nice fresh fruit salad at breakfast, I would be happier. I'm sick of the only thing that I want to eat being those sugary cereal bars.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klmml
If they could at least make the soup vegetarian and have some nice fresh fruit salad at breakfast, I would be happier. I'm sick of the only thing that I want to eat being those sugary cereal bars.
Being a vegetarian, I can somewhat relate. However, there are often two soups, one of which is (always?) vegetarian.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by ffay005
Unfortunately, today's smoothie was lingonberry but I suppose there's variety so I just happened to be there on the wrong day.
Yeah, I have had mango and cherry smoothies there so far, so they do definitely change it in some intervals; luckily not having just simply 1 taste for each day.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by lkrt
Being a vegetarian, I can somewhat relate. However, there are often two soups, one of which is (always?) vegetarian.
Quite, but it's more about providing things which be combined to suit a variety of diets. The old regime was good in that regard, and (e.g.) SK and BA lounges remain so. In fact, it's somewhat tempting to use the Aspire lounge instead with Priority Pass.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
It's all better, but I miss bread for breakfast. Just simple buns, butter, and jam.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.