FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   Lowered luggage quota for platinum members? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1833935-lowered-luggage-quota-platinum-members.html)

intuition Apr 4, 2017 2:27 am

Lowered luggage quota for platinum members?

Just got a new version of the "before your departure" email.

It specifically states "Your platinum luggage quota and perks" saying my carry on now is only allowed to weigh 8 kg and that my checked baggage only is allowed to weigh 23 kg.

There is no change in the quotas mentioned on finnair.com but as we have seen lately they are not keen on telling changes they make. So does anyone know of a change in platinum perks regarding luggage?

lkrt Apr 4, 2017 2:52 am

AFAIK no changes have been made, it's just this good old mix-up with poorly designed emails that don't take perks very well into account.

Jainzar Apr 4, 2017 2:54 am

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 28126728)
Just got a new version of the "before your departure" email.

It specifically states "Your platinum luggage quota and perks" saying my carry on now is only allowed to weigh 8 kg and that my checked baggage only is allowed to weigh 23 kg.

There is no change in the quotas mentioned on finnair.com but as we have seen lately they are not keen on telling changes they make. So does anyone know of a change in platinum perks regarding luggage?

It has been like that for a long time (more than 9 months). The first part always quotes the ticket without any knowledge of your status.

intuition Apr 4, 2017 3:01 am

1 Attachment(s)
But the thing is it now says specifically "Your Finnair Plus Platinum baggage allowances and benefits"

I know the before-departure email has always gotten the information wrong, especially the tier affecting the quotas and other perks, but this version is different as it actually acknowledges my tier status and lists my specific perks and quotas.

So they just added the headline "Your Finnair Plus Platinum baggage allowances and benefits" and then didn't bothered with checking my actual Finnair Plus Platinum baggage allowances and benefits?!

intuition Apr 4, 2017 3:10 am

1 Attachment(s)
And it is not even the ticket allowance, as J ticket allows (used to allow) 10kg carry-on regardless tier status.

lkrt Apr 4, 2017 3:21 am

I'm pretty sure they don't know about the heavy baggage fee being waived as it is not a "listed benefit" per se.

So they just added the headline "Your Finnair Plus Platinum baggage allowances and benefits" and then didn't bothered with checking my actual Finnair Plus Platinum baggage allowances and benefits?!
I'm pretty sure this is exactly what happened instead of the rules having been changed.

Jainzar Apr 4, 2017 3:24 am

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 28126809)
And it is not even the ticket allowance, as J ticket allows (used to allow) 10kg carry-on regardless tier status.

I checked my recent email for an IC flight in J and they also stated there that my checked baggage can only weigh up to 23 kg.

At the moment I think this is like a persistent Beta version.

intuition Apr 4, 2017 3:33 am

OK, a feature of the new pre-departure e-mail is that you can now opt-out.

In the lower part of the new e-mail there is an opt-out link. The server isn't correctly configured so you'll need to remove https and make it into a non-secure link. Once you do that, you'll be taken to a page where you can opt-out and also can give feedback.

reflektia Apr 4, 2017 4:56 am

:-:

Originally Posted by Jainzar (Post 28126839)
I checked my recent email for an IC flight in J and they also stated there that my checked baggage can only weigh up to 23 kg.

At the moment I think this is like a persistent Beta version.

I think technically it is correct. They just omit the fact that no overweight fees are collected from business class ticket holders or platinums.

A heavy bag charge applies to baggage with the maximum weight of 32 kg (70 lb) and/or maximum dimensions of 190 cm x 75 cm x 65 cm (75 in x 29.5 in x 25.5 in). The heavy bag charge is not collected from Business Class passengers or Finnair Plus Platinum or oneworld Emerald members.

intuition Apr 4, 2017 8:23 am

The mail specifically now says "Total weight of checked in bags must not exceed 23 kg"

so it isn't even technically correct.
If total weight of 3 bags must not exceed 23kg then there is no way that text technically allows for any 32kg bags, not even a single one, and regardless of fees.

Again, this new mail very clearly says this is "My quota", not a generic description of a bag.

heatsink Apr 4, 2017 10:49 am

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 28126792)

---

The mail specifically now says "Total weight of checked in bags must not exceed 23 kg"

so it isn't even technically correct.

To me it seems like they are checking your profile, but only for some elements of the page. I.e. the number of bags is looked up per user, but the rest of the text is static. The person who developed this probably doesn't know that the weight can change too, and didn't have enough support from the business side.

The "total weight" of 23kg has to be a mistranslation, since that would only give you 7,7 kg per bag, which is preposterous. Quality work. Good testing process. A+.

Additionally, I think it's rather poor form to write "väska(or)" when you can pluralize the word based on the number you just looked up two words earlier...

intuition Apr 4, 2017 5:02 pm

Exactly - the person doing these mails have little insight and/or little help, and clearly there is no fact check or quality control at AY marketing. Just create a new mail communication, and then start sending thousands of it every day without checking the contents. Ludicrous.

One can discuss how to present the bag #4 , as it depends on if the flight is operated by AY or not. (On AY flights it is +1PC, no special weight limit, on partners it is +1PC, 20-23kg). I can agree that it would be slightly more work to get even this factor in, but the app nowadays presents the allowance as "4PC, 23kg each", so clearly someone in IT has constructed the method to calculate the correct number of bags. It just isn't available to e-mail marketing.

BTW, AY confirmed the perks has not changed, and their list (looks to come from an internal FAQ) includes the "heavy bag fee is not collected from Platinum members".

intuition Apr 4, 2017 6:58 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Someone really should go through their communication. The official Finnair roll-up and the paperworks sent to airports has the carry-on allowance wrong too.

mogumogu Apr 5, 2017 1:00 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 28130432)
Someone really should go through their communication. The official Finnair roll-up and the paperworks sent to airports has the carry-on allowance wrong too.

The banner put up at an airport in Japan seems not to be updated yet. A flyer of 2015 summer time schedule presents the same information about the baggage allowance. Many things about marketing can be improved for the marketing as you said...

http://finnair-promotion.jp/flight/T...9-20151024.pdf

skba1 Apr 10, 2017 6:13 pm

A little data entry point. New Menzies staff at ARN last week when checking in on C ticket to HKG. They refused to believe my allowance was for 32kg per bag (And I only had 2 against the 3 allowed as AY silver or as OW emerald - showed them both my cards). This was even within the constraints of the ticket allowance and not based on status!

After 10 or so minutes on the phone to some helpline they finally accepted my luggage without wanting to charge.