Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strikes in Finnland March 3-13

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Exclamation Strikes in Finnland March 3-13

As my wife was mumbling something about possible strikes in HEL end of next week (based on her intensive reading of IS), I looked at Finnavias website to see if anything would impact their (wife + two kids to KEM, separate LH & AY tickets on 26FEB and 04MAR) travel and found this:

Possible air traffic strikes beginnig March 3

Air traffic employee strikes may affect air traffic between 3 - 13 March.

The Finnish Aviation Union (IAU) has issued three strike notices for the following time periods:

03.3.2017 at 14 - 19 (Helsinki Airport)
08.3.2017 at 15 - 19 (Helsinki Airport and the Finnish regional airports)
10.3.2017 at 15 - 19 (Helsinki Airport and the Finnish regional airports)

In addition, IAU has issued a statement of support for Pro’s cabin crew actions taking place as follows:

from 5.3.2017 midnight to 6.3.2017 at 23
from 12.3.2017 midnight to 13.3.2017 at 23.

Finavia will take every action possible with other air traffic operators that the effects of possible employee action towards passengers are minimised.

Passengers are kindly asked to follow communications from their own airlines. Finavia will also release up-to-date information on this issue on its own website as soon as information is made available.

This threat of strike is caused by, the service company, Airpro’s new general agreement, which came into force on 1 February in adherence to the Competitiveness Pact. The agreement exists between JHL and Pardia, and is legally binding for IAU members. IAU was previously a party to the Airpro agreement. It, however, seceded from the Competitiveness Solution and is demanding better benefits for its members. More information on the negotiations will be provided by the Association of Service Sector Employers PALTA.

Real-time flight information is available on the home pages of Finavia's airports. Below arrivals and departures information of Helsinki Airport.

Helsinki Airport Departures
Helsinki Airport Arrivals

Finavia considers it regrettable that employee action is being used to affect smooth air traffic.
It looks like they will be safe flying KEM-HEL-MUC on March 4th, but it looks like AY and HEL will be severely impacted?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Also it seems NORRA is having some union issues with crews reporting sick?

http://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/fi...nesses/8649055
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:37 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
NoRRA did it again 19. and 20.02.2017... No night flight HEL-KUO and early morning flight KUO-HEL - missed my LHR connection and ended up significant delay in planned arrival, over 6 hours. EU261 claim it will be despite the explanation that the cancellation was due to tech reasons, not crew shortage.

Last edited by TTL; Feb 21, 2017 at 2:43 am
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Also it seems NORRA is having some union issues with crews reporting sick?

http://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/fi...nesses/8649055
Old stories:

NEWS
News 4.2.2016 18:09 | updated 4.2.2016 20:19
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
As my wife was mumbling something about possible strikes in HEL end of next week (based on her intensive reading of IS), I looked at Finnavias website to see if anything would impact their (wife + two kids to KEM, separate LH & AY tickets on 26FEB and 04MAR) travel and found this:

It looks like they will be safe flying KEM-HEL-MUC on March 4th, but it looks like AY and HEL will be severely impacted?
Obviously the strike is aimed towards Airpro, which is subsidiary of Finavia, and will thus affect mostly airlines using their services (flights of Norwegian, TUIflyn, Thomas Cookin and Thomson) and to security check points at HEL to some extent, probably there will be much less staff doing the screenings so wait times will be longer. Otherwise AY and LH should be mostly unaffected, but you never know of these strike prone unions, they might come up with some surprises, but if they do, they will be unlawfull actions.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:29 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja

... these strike prone unions, they might come up with some surprises ...
Is it no longer against FT rules to make political comments outside of OMNI?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Old stories:
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
Obviously the strike is aimed towards Airpro, which is subsidiary of Finavia,
What is interesting this sentence in the statement:

Pro’s cabin crew actions taking place as follows
So the NORRA cabin crew have 'actions'?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
What is interesting this sentence in the statement:

So the NORRA cabin crew have 'actions'?
Nope, NoRRA and AY cabin, cockpit, technical and ground crew are not affected this time. These unions have valid collective agreement with AY/NoRRA and Airpro is not a contracting party with these unions.
Airpro is leasing cabin crew to other airlines, mainly holiday oriented operators and destinations, ie. TUI etc.
Ground handling of many other airlines besides AY and NoRRA, namely BA/QR/TK/SK etc. may be facing strike actions. The only side-effect for AY/NoRRA is that airport security staff will have actions.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:02 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Mmmh I am flying to HEL with AY the 10th March in the evening, from FRA. Hopefully this will not impact me.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Mmmh I am flying to HEL with AY the 10th March in the evening, from FRA. Hopefully this will not impact me.
What is currently known is that you will be safe from any actions.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Any updates on this? Weary of my next flights...
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, LH, Accor, IHG, Scandic, Tallink
Originally Posted by FFlash
Any updates on this? Weary of my next flights...
So far nothing new, negotiations still going on...

The website of the National Conciliator's Office <valtakunnansovittelija.fi> seems to be a good source for the updates. Unfortunately the latest news are in Finnish only.

I (should) take several AY and AB flights during the next 2-3 weeks, so I'm feeling quite concerned about this mess.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:45 am
Original Poster

The latest news on the NCO website indicates a complete shutdown of HEL on the 10th afternoon:
http://valtakunnansovittelija.fi/art...yonseisausuhat

This is on top of labor action on the 3rd and 5th.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:09 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Thanks for that oliver2002
I hope this will not get extended later in the evening or it will not have longer effect than planned.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:18 am

The latest news on the NCO website indicates a complete shutdown of HEL on the 10th afternoon:
http://valtakunnansovittelija.fi/art...yonseisausuhat

This is on top of labor action on the 3rd and 5th.
Just to clarify and repeat my post #8, AY is not directly affected by these actions since Airpro nor any of AY unions is a contracting party in this dispute. Security staff actions will definitely affect AY, but I presume Airpro can handle at least part of the security functions by using supervisors and staff which do not belong to unions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.