Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

HEL - HKG A350 Review (and so far it's NOT good)

Old Feb 14, 17, 4:38 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Kulta (OW Sapphire), FB, SBB GA, Bonvoy Gold, ACCOR, Coop card, Aligro Card, Porsche Club Suisse

I'm currently experiencing one of the all time slowest and most inefficient inflight services known to man, so much that it hurts.

This is a night flight so most PAX just want to get meal service over with and get some sleep. So far we have been airborne for over 90 min and I have just received a glass of water which I ordered 40 min ago. The crew is so painfully slow that I have never experienced anything like it before. Not sure what both (yes I have seen 2 crew memebers so far) are up to (we're in the main J cabin) but looking after the 40 PAX seated in J are not one of the tasks by the look of it.

So, 20 min ago I asked when is the meal service to start and was told, oh its just starting (?)... Erh no its not. Unfortunately the inflight entertainment system has a schedule which is anything but followed.

This is just poor!!!

This said, it's my first time on the A350 and must say it's AMAZING. Very very quiet and seems very wide indeed.

More to come, unless I lose it...
Old Feb 14, 17, 9:52 pm

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), AZ Freccia Alata Plus, Hilton Silver, PP
I would suggest just four simple things to be done on any LH AY flight:

1. Distribute the menus before take-off!
2. Distribute the headsets before take-off!
3. Distribute the amenity kits before take-off!
4. Turn on the inflight entertainment system before take-off!

Sometimes it takes one hour after boarding before all this has been done!
Old Feb 14, 17, 10:10 pm

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Justinus View Post
I would suggest just four simple things to be done on any LH AY flight:

1. Distribute the menus before take-off!
2. Distribute the headsets before take-off!
3. Distribute the amenity kits before take-off!
4. Turn on the inflight entertainment system before take-off!

Sometimes it takes one hour after boarding before all this has been done!
At least on Monday's HEL-SIN all those things listed had been done before they let anybody on board.

Meal service was pretty quick, too. As it should be, when serving the whole meal on one tray.
Old Feb 14, 17, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I feel your pain - I was on HEL-HKG flights where dinner service ended over 3 hrs into the flight, with most of the time nothing happening. That's 2 hrs more than I'd wanted - as you said, night flight, people want to sleep. Instead spend 3 hrs mainly waiting for your meal/drink/dessert - disappointing. Strangely, on other AY longhauls it's much better organized.
Old Feb 14, 17, 11:55 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), TK Elite (*A Gold)
I'm on the same flight! I'm in the back J cabin and indeed I watched an entire movie before the food was served.

Is it me or are the portions also very small? I had to ask for seconds, as Oliver said *please, Sir, can I have some more*
Old Feb 15, 17, 12:01 am

Programs: AY GUEST
Originally Posted by beach86 View Post
Is it me or are the portions also very small? I had to ask for seconds, as Oliver said *please, Sir, can I have some more*
They are small.
Old Feb 15, 17, 12:16 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), AZ Freccia Alata Plus, Hilton Silver, PP
Originally Posted by LoungeEnthusiast View Post
At least on Monday's HEL-SIN all those things listed had been done before they let anybody on board.
Thatīs it... sometimes they have been done, sometimes not. Sometimes there is top tier recognition, sometimes not. Somethimes there is a very efficient and yet friendly crew, sometimes not.

One of the main problems of the AY soft product is that it can be very inconsistent.
Old Feb 15, 17, 5:01 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Kulta (OW Sapphire), FB, SBB GA, Bonvoy Gold, ACCOR, Coop card, Aligro Card, Porsche Club Suisse
I'm on the same flight! I'm in the back J cabin and indeed I watched an entire movie before the food was served.

Had I only known :-)

Was it just me or were the meals also handed out very randomly? It seemed to me it was very much a slump on who was served and who wasn't... Thete was no system in place by the look if it and what surprised me also that there was not one single Finnish speaking cabin member up front (not that I really care as I don't speak the lingo but still).

Meal orders were taken well after we were airborne and the crew had ample time to have that sorted while on the ground. No pre dinner drinks (thank god for that in hindsight) either and it all just felt unprofessional.

Breakfast was a tiny bit better but still random who got served and way too much/many single operations at a time by the HK based crew. Multitasking was not a strong point.

Otherwise, we were bang on time and it took exatly one hour from when we disembarged, gone through immigration, picked up our bag, checked in with HX, gone through security, passport check and seated in the HX lounge between gates 23 and 25...
Old Feb 15, 17, 5:22 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Yeah, not large amounts of food and I heard a woman in 6A complaining and was asked by the cabin crew to calm down... The feeder flight from GVA to HEL actually served same size meal as on the HEL-HKG segment.

This said, I had pre ordered the raindeer and it was actually good but the salad served was a DDR retro type with 3 slices of cucumber and 2 small iceberg lettuce leaves. Still I agree not food...

I'm still puzzled about the HK cabin crew. I'm wondering if they didn't make it with CX so AY got them signed instead. They were sweet enough but just not good at doing their job.

Smiles all around but that doesn't help me get filled up on food and drink and getting quick into sleeping mode.

PS. The new seats are really top notch. Good length (1,90+ meters so I actually could lay straight) and I woke up without any neck pain for once...
Old Feb 15, 17, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Cupart View Post
I'm currently experiencing one of the all time slowest and most inefficient inflight services known to man, so much that it hurts.

This is a night flight so most PAX just want to get meal service over with and get some sleep. So far we have been airborne for over 90 min and I have just received a glass of water which I ordered 40 min ago. The crew is so painfully slow that I have never experienced anything like it before. Not sure what both (yes I have seen 2 crew memebers so far) are up to (we're in the main J cabin) but looking after the 40 PAX seated in J are not one of the tasks by the look of it.

So, 20 min ago I asked when is the meal service to start and was told, oh its just starting (?)... Erh no its not. Unfortunately the inflight entertainment system has a schedule which is anything but followed.

This is just poor!!!

This said, it's my first time on the A350 and must say it's AMAZING. Very very quiet and seems very wide indeed.

More to come, unless I lose it...
But isnīt this down to the old habit of AY to first let the J cabin crew help with serving the meals in Y, before they attend to the "premium" passengers?
Old Feb 15, 17, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Yes, the "I have only seen 2 crew members so far" comment indicates something like that.

I reported many times J was staffed with only 2 crew, and many posters here have assured me they always staff 4 crew for J. If so the 2 missing crew must be somewhere, 'cause they surely aren't in J.
Old Feb 17, 17, 7:11 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, AF Platinum
Great... I am on this flight in 2 weeks in J on my way to Sydney, and again in April. Thankfully both trips are returning via SIN. Is the SIN-HEL J service any better?

I will be sure to just eat before boarding and skip the first meal so that I can get some sleep on these legs.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old Feb 18, 17, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by napapiiri View Post
Great... I am on this flight in 2 weeks in J on my way to Sydney, and again in April. Thankfully both trips are returning via SIN. Is the SIN-HEL J service any better?

I will be sure to just eat before boarding and skip the first meal so that I can get some sleep on these legs.

Thanks for the heads up.

Welcome to FT!

For HEL-HKG it can be a good idea to eat at home (if you're HEL based) before heading to the airport, or at the airport if you're connecting. That way you'd get a full night's sleep.

Flying BKK-HEL in December was weird. Rows 1-5 were already having their plates cleared away while 6 and onward were just getting their main dishes. 4 FAs serving a full C cabin. As this was a day flight, not so annoying, but still.
Old Feb 18, 17, 1:40 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Having used this flight a few times I really see no reason at all to attempt eating on the plane. Ex-HKG the Pier F offers excellent dining. Ex-HEL you can either have a nice meal in town or at home, or some pretty nice tasting nibbles in the premium lounge.

I try to go to sleep ASAP on these flights, but yes last time ex-HEL I noticed it took well over 2hrs until dinner service was ended (I had finished my 2hr film anyway!).
Old Feb 18, 17, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Not a huge fan of the A350 J seat. Much better than the A330, but still not that comfortable.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: