Short-checking luggage

Old Feb 8, 17, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), SPG (Gold), MR (Gold)
Short-checking luggage

On a LHR-HEL-SIN-HEL-LHR itinerary, what are the chances of short-checking luggage only as far as HEL on the return? Traveling in business if this matters (which I'm pretty sure it doesn't).

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Old Feb 8, 17, 7:06 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Do you have a long layover in HEL that would justify needing access to your checked luggage? You might be able convince them to short-check it by stating your travel plans have changed, for work reasons, and you need to be in a city easily accessible via rail from HEL that flying would not make sense.

Beyond a reasonable reason I don't see AY short checking your luggage.
Old Feb 8, 17, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Short-checking have been hit&miss for me.

On occasions where I really needed it, it has been firmly refused. On other occasions it has succeeded. I suggest not depending entirely on it.

As always, there is a range of difficulties. From check-in agent not knowing how to do it to (mis-)reading of policy.
AFAIK, finnair check-in policy only talks about when it is allowed to do check-in to final destination. (They refuse check-through under certain conditions). However I guess an agent can read this as check-through must be done:
Finnair through check-in policy

Passenger and baggage shall be through checked to the final destination as indicated by the flight ticket, provided it constitutes one single agreement of carriage with Finnair. Finnair will provide through check-in for a journey ticketed in a single PNR; this includes segments ticketed separately but booked in the same PNR (and/or referenced in a single PNR during the time of booking).

In addition to the basic rule Finnair will allow through check-in of customer and baggage with separate tickets on separate PNRs on AY–AY (including AY franchising flights operated by Norra) connections when the transfer is within the Minimum Connection Time (MCT). For AY–AY connection flights on the separate PNRs have to be both marketed and operated by Finnair or Norra and flights ticketed on the 105-stock. The agent shall always inform the customer of the destination where the customer and his or her baggage are checked-in to.
Old Feb 8, 17, 8:54 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
I have a similar question or actually 2 questions:

1. I am considering doing BKK-HEL-TLL // TLL-HEL-LHR but I don't know if it will be possible to turn around on the same plane in TLL with checked luggage.

I wonder if AY can just check my luggage for BKK-HEL-LHR... I will fly the full tickets to TLL and back (otherwise the HEL-LHR would get cancelled), but it would be easier without luggage.

2. This would be the return portion of the trip. On the outbound, I will take the ferry to TLL and then fly TLL-HEL-BKK. I wonder if AY can check my luggage in HEL, before I have actually gone to TLL and flown back?

I know BA will usually check luggage for LHR-longhaul before flying to e.g. AMS and back
Old Feb 8, 17, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), SPG (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by :D! View Post

1. I am considering doing BKK-HEL-TLL // TLL-HEL-LHR but I don't know if it will be possible to turn around on the same plane in TLL with checked luggage.

I wonder if AY can just check my luggage for BKK-HEL-LHR... I will fly the full tickets to TLL and back (otherwise the HEL-LHR would get cancelled), but it would be easier without luggage.

2. This would be the return portion of the trip. On the outbound, I will take the ferry to TLL and then fly TLL-HEL-BKK. I wonder if AY can check my luggage in HEL, before I have actually gone to TLL and flown back?

I know BA will usually check luggage for LHR-longhaul before flying to e.g. AMS and back
I tried to do this previously with Emirates, trying to check bags through to SIN on a JFK-DXB-MUC-DXB-SIN routing. The problem was that the system would not allow a bag to transit through the same airport (DXB) twice.
Old Feb 8, 17, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black

1. I've tried a very similar thing and it was "impossible". I was ticketed EU1-HEL-EU2-HEL-HKG and I asked if bag could be checked to HKG without going to EU2. Impossible, stating "bag must always follow the traveller" as reason. The fact that the bag would never be on a plane I wasn't on was not enough. It was not alloed to stay in HEL according to agent.
In the end they checked the bag as passing HEL twice exactly like I was travelling. That was very hard work for the agent to make that stick but it had a bag tag saying HEL-EU2-HEL-HKG.
The EU2 airport was not able to handle bags arriving from HEL being sent back to HEL on the returnflight so bag went awol for several days.
Bag turned up in HKG just before I left the city (and apparently then it was OK to send bag separately from pax...)

2. ... On the outbound, I will take the ferry to TLL and then fly TLL-HEL-BKK. I wonder if AY can check my luggage in HEL, before I have actually gone to TLL and flown back?
I highly doubt it. Not only breaking the "bag must follow traveller" rule but it must also be pretty obvious that they are risking to off-load your bag in HEL if you never appear.

Last edited by intuition; Feb 8, 17 at 1:28 pm
Old Feb 8, 17, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by intuition View Post
In the end they checked the bag as passing HEL twice exactly like I was travelling. That was very hard work for the agent to make that stick but it had a bag tag saying HEL-EU2-HEL-HKG.
That's very interesting, I don't know if you go on the BA or CX forums but both BA and CX have said it's impossible to have the same airport twice on a bag tag.

That's why for a BA itinerary LHR-AMS-LHR-HKG, you have to check the bag in for LHR-HKG before you go to AMS. Or on CX, HKG-TPE-HKG-YYZ, you can check the bag in for HKG-YYZ before you go to TPE. It would certainly not make it back on the same flight as you, if you are taking the same plane back.

Checking for a second leg before flying the first leg is accepted at LHR about 95% of the time - if not join another queue and try again - so I am surprised at your response

I highly doubt it. Not only breaking the "bag must follow traveller" rule but it must also be pretty obvious that they are risking to off-load your bag in HEL if you never appear.

Furthermore at HEL you can apparently check bags for the following day between 1830 and 2130. The HKG flight departs at 2350 so my bag could stay airside in HEL for 29 hours.

Who is to say that I can't fly to TLL and back in those 29 hours? I could even go to HKG and back (although not AY both ways) and even if I stayed in Helsinki the entire time, I could still not appear for the flight.

If it's not accepted, I would just pay 6 euros to store the bag in HEL, as there is no point dragging it onto the ferry and around Tallinn. This has the same effect: the bag is not following me.

Last edited by :D!; Feb 8, 17 at 2:02 pm
Old Feb 8, 17, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "EU2" was indeed a direct turn-around, same plane return scheduled 50 minutes later.
The agent had to work with his back-office and was probably told several times "it won't work in reality" as he told me several times that I needed to get intouch with ground staff and instruct them to make sure the bag never left the plane at the airport in EU2. (and that utterly failed of course)

I try to stay away from BA forum as much as possible, but no doubt they have the smarter policy. If pax is on a short sidetrip, then there is no reason bag couldn't stay in the intermittent airport. No safety reason at least, the bag will never be on an airplane the passenger isn't.
As for 'no-same-airport-twice' on a bag tag it could be a soft block implemented by BA and others to prevent agents from doing tags that can't work in reality. I am living proof of that it can be done (and that is doesn't work once it is issued )

As for answer two, I have actually succeeded doing this, but I am unsure my circumstances were exactly as yours. (I can't recall my exact ticket details)

Anyway, the "night-before" check will work excellently if you are on separate tickets so the ticket you want to check in bag on starts with HEL. But I assumed TLL-HEL and HEL-BKK is on the same ticket.

When I did a similar check-in to yours question 2, there was a moment of confusion when the agent pulled my records. Apparently system will show all current records so even when I wanted to check a bag on HEL-CPH on ticket B tomorrow, she could see my active and OLCI ticket A on HEL-PRG leaving few hours later. After explaining I would be back in time, she had no issues checking my bag on ticket B to CPH.

However, IIRC, the HEL-CPH was the first coupon on ticket B, so it wasn't about checking a bag only on a part of a journey. It was a simple bag-check on one ticket and on the first and only/all legs of that ticket.

In your case you will be asking them to check a bag only on coupon 2, like a reversed short-check. That I am doubtful they will
a) understand and
b) know how to perform
but by all means do try!

Last edited by intuition; Feb 8, 17 at 2:53 pm
Old Feb 8, 17, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by intuition View Post
get intouch with ground staff and instruct them to make sure the bag never left the plane at the airport in EU2. (and that utterly failed of course)

As for 'no-same-airport-twice' on a bag tag it could be a soft block implemented by BA and others to prevent agents from doing tags that can't work in reality. I am living proof of that it can be done (and that is doesn't work once it is issued
I think it would have worked if you took a later flight back. But obviously the bag can't not leave the plane, it needs to get scanned and tracked..
Old Feb 8, 17, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards

1/ I you don't take same plane turnaround, totally possible to do. I'd build my itinerary on the presumption that AY WON'T check BKK-HEL-LHR and therefore taking one later TLL-HEL and accordingly the HEL-LHR

2/ I have a gut feeling that it won't happen, but no harm in trying. Would be interesting in hearing back, how you fared.
Old Feb 8, 17, 9:52 pm

Programs: Ay Gold
I had once a booking HEL-BKK BKK-SIN on separate tickets but with the same plane. It was very challenging for the agent to get the tag. The system did not accept only SIN on the tag because I was travelling to BKK. But it did not either accept BKK and SIN on the tag since the system noticed that it's the same aircraft on the same day so it's not needed to unload in BKK. After several calls without success, she took an empty tag and wrote by hand BKK and SIN. The she wished us a good journey with the comment "There are frequent connections between BKK and SIN for your luggage". In end of the day the luggage showed up on the belt in SIN just as planned.
Old Feb 8, 17, 11:57 pm

Programs: AY+ Lumo (OWE), Accor Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
I think it might be possible as it is always posssible to check in baggage in the middle of the journey. While I understand that it's not the case here, I'd still believe that's how the system works. Try it!
Old Feb 13, 17, 3:24 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
I have done scenario 2 many times with various airlines and never had a problem, however it may take some explaining to the agent and can require some extra work.

I believe I did it last year in HEL dropping a bag in the morning before getting a train to Turku to meet a client and fly back TKU-HEL-ARN in the evening.
Old Feb 13, 17, 7:11 pm
R2

I have also done the following same day flights successfully: HEL-OSL-HEL-BKK. At the HEL check-in they just simply tagged my luggage direct to BKK and issued all three boarding passes.
Old Feb 14, 17, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Shockingly practical

Search this Thread
Search Engine: