Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY co-branded Mastercard for Finns

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
Originally Posted by jakas
Apparently so. Just sent my application. so come May it's going to be bye bye SEB for good!
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by jakas
Yes, see post #168.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: Finnair , Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by aama
Apparently so. Just sent my application. so come May it's going to be bye bye SEB for good!
will apply too
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
For anyone not on Platinum or Platinum Lumo level, potentially the Nordea Finnair MC is better. As of mid-February it earns 2p per every € spent on it, regardless of status. It costs 60€ / year vs the SEB MC 50€ / year (yearly fee is only waived for Plats and Lumos).
I'm currently using SAS EB and earn 1 point per €. My rewards are usually HEL-CPH return (usually fares are high when I want to fly) for which I pay 20k points + around €30. It seems like Finnair might be a better deal then:
  • SAS MC 20000 points / 1 = €20k spend for award ticket. Sometimes offers for half price.
  • AY MC 15000 points / 2 = €7.5k spend for award ticket.
Is my calculation correct? How much is the AY fuel surcharge on short haul awards?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Gnopps
I'm currently using SAS EB and earn 1 point per €. My rewards are usually HEL-CPH return (usually fares are high when I want to fly) for which I pay 20k points + around €30. It seems like Finnair might be a better deal then:
  • SAS MC 20000 points / 1 = €20k spend for award ticket. Sometimes offers for half price.
Is my calculation correct? How much is the AY fuel surcharge on short haul awards?
Like SK AY does not charge the fuel surcharge on short haul awards.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
SAS used to have better redemptions IMHO, but not anymore. That nordic redemption is just bad nowadays. The only "sweet spots" there, and they are not that sweet anymore, were the EU (especially nordic GER-region for example) are the "Point Bargains" which you could speculatively book and then cancel for free if you did not use your ticket, and then longhauls for iterative routings and First class. But even them have become worse due to their enhancements. But they are still perhaps easier than Finnair/oneworld longhaul redemptions to get for decent price.
I dumped SAS totally and have left my status for a few months and points for a nice LH F which I will burn at some point, now only focusing on AY and maxing card points etc.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:25 am

You calculation is correct.
Taxes and fees are in the range 28-58€ for shorthauls. CPH should be around 45€.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Thanks for your answers. I started with SK EB because then the intra-Nordic awards were 12k points, and often reduced to 6k which meant the whole family (2+2) could travel for 18k points HEL-CPH return. But then again, AY+ doesn't seem to offer any child discount?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:36 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The separate junior award table was killed last year, yes.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by intuition
The separate junior award table was killed last year, yes.
They "harmonized" the point prices between adults and kids. Adult prices went down, kid prices went up as everyone is now the same. But when AY had the kid pricing, the age limit was 18 in contrast to SK's 12.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
I think the methodology you are using is exactly the correct one. However, what is the best program will also depend on what kind of awards you value. It might be that something is better for short haul flights between A and B, whereas another program/card could be better for long haul business class tickets between A and C. I did some math on this topic comparing long haul J redemptions as the benchmark. Maybe I'll redo the math with today's point costs and post the Excel table here again.
Steve_Hun and Clydez like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:55 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
... How much is the AY fuel surcharge on short haul awards?
Like others said, no fuel surcharge but other fees. HEL-CPH r/t is 37,22€
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Got the AY MC last week, so far so good and finally got my first rejection today at Suomalainen kirjakauppa.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Originally Posted by Clydez
Got the AY MC last week, so far so good and finally got my first rejection today at Suomalainen kirjakauppa.
maybe because im not suomalainen Had to pull out my danske
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
When does SEB send out new cards? My SEB MC expires at the end of this month, and still no sign of the new card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.