AY co-branded Mastercard for Finns

Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Last week I arranged a bigger dinner in a restaurant and when the time of paying the bill came, my plat MC was constantly rejected and CS was already offline. Had to use different credit card, lost quite a lot of points so naturally called to CS today.
There are some weird random limits that CS can not elaborate, nor change that are in effect that prevented both the dinner as well as pre-ordering a taxi before paying the dinner...only hint was that in such cases, the cancelling hotline can release the transactions/increase the limits.

I'm quite pissed but I guess there really is nothing to be done.
+1
I had exactly the same issue with DC card on Saturday evening. The cost of dinner for 4 was ~600€ and payment failed/was denied twice. Switched to another card but it's always a bit awkward if not embarrassing to get rejected semi-publicly. It has happpend a few times before with substantially smaller sums and always in restaurants. OTOH I have paid flight tickets worth several thousands without any issues.

Last edited by ff_flyer; Dec 17, 2018 at 9:55 am Reason: typos
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Last week I arranged a bigger dinner in a restaurant and when the time of paying the bill came, my plat MC was constantly rejected and CS was already offline. Had to use different credit card, lost quite a lot of points so naturally called to CS today.
There are some weird random limits that CS can not elaborate, nor change that are in effect that prevented both the dinner as well as pre-ordering a taxi before paying the dinner...only hint was that in such cases, the cancelling hotline can release the transactions/increase the limits.
I’ve had similar experiences, and it’s very annoying.

I booked flights for €600 on AY.com, paying with my SEB MC. The tickets were well within the credit limit of my card, but the payment failed. Twice. This was after hours and in fearing prices would go up, I didn’t want to wait until the next day, so I made a new reservation using AmEx. Lost 720 AY+ points.

The next day, I called MC fearing they had closed the card, or whatever. They explained that they have vendor-specific limits that use a rolling 30-day period, and I had made so many purchases with Finnair that I had exceeded that limit. Just like in your case, they refused to say what the limit actually was, which is completely ridiculous. After some pressing, I was able to conclude that €3000 would still be okay but anything above that, within any given 30-day period, might not be. They told me I could call their credit control to exceed the limit temporarily, though.

While I understand they want to protect us, and themselves, I definitely think they should be more open about this. Making purchases from the comfort of my home late at night doesn’t make it an embarrassing experience if the payment fails, but sitting in a restaurant with perhaps ten guests and only that one credit card would not be an experience I want to go through.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:06 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by kanamurva
Is there a such thing as a yearly limit with mobilepay and MC and if so, what is that limit?
Mobilepay limit is 500€/day and 15000€/year.

https://www.mobilepay.fi/asiakastuki...a-mobilepaylla

Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:35 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ffay005
They explained that they have vendor-specific limits that use a rolling 30-day period, and I had made so many purchases with Finnair that I had exceeded that limit.
Interesting info as SEB cards now is a major player and issues many of the co-branded cards in the entire industry. (AY, SK, Scandic, Nordic Choice, et.c)

I hit a similar limit on a Nordic Choice card the other day and could not for my life figure out why a certain purchase didn't go through while other purchases were fine.

After some pressing, I was able to conclude that €3000 would still be okay but anything above that, within any given 30-day period, might not be. They told me I could call their credit control to exceed the limit temporarily, though.
If that is true, then it really is insane. The AY promoted creditcard does not allow purchases with AY to exceed 3kEUR?!? One single J ticket ex HEL easily hits more than that
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
I’ve had similar experiences, and it’s very annoying.
After some pressing, I was able to conclude that €3000 would still be okay but anything above that, within any given 30-day period, might not be. They told me I could call their credit control to exceed the limit temporarily, though.
That may make sense, I had close to 4000€ within the last 30 days rolling window but I had already fully settled the previous bill worth ~2000€ leaving more than half of the cards limit available. More intolerable since DC customer service is open 09.00-17.00 Monday-Friday only.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by intuition
If that is true, then it really is insane. The AY promoted creditcard does not allow purchases with AY to exceed 3kEUR?!? One single J ticket ex HEL easily hits more than that
My thoughts exactly. However, the limit might of course be different for different card holders and might depend on the overall credit limit and/or previous purchase patterns and what not. Whatever it is and however it works, they should let us know.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by ff_flyer
+1
The cost of dinner for 4 was ~600€ and payment failed/was denied twice. Switched to another card but it's always a bit awkward if not embarrassing to get rejected semi-publicly.
Same happened here for me with around the same cost but bigger group. This makes MC a bad "replacement" for DC and I hope SEB could be more proactive with payment of this scale than just reactive. Just my two cents.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by manywhere
Same happened here for me with around the same cost but bigger group. This makes MC a bad "replacement" for DC and I hope SEB could be more proactive with payment of this scale than just reactive. Just my two cents.
Same happened here. Denied a restaurant bill of about €2k for a group. Luckily had another Mastercard I could use.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Not AY card but SEB MC anyways got ddenied a online upgrade fee due to being a untrustworthsy site(Airline in Europe) which I had not used in the past (just bought tickets with the same card from the same site on The same airline one week earlier) 😂😂

Go figure
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by HJP
Same problems with MobilePay. Pisses me off especially because the yearly limit will restart at New Year, and I still have some money that should be transferred to my wife (to get some free points) and vice versa.
Can I add my SEB MC to MobilePay, and then use MobilePay to transfer money from my SEB MC to a friend? There's no extra charge or fees involved, like there would be when withdrawing cash? And you get points, too?
cistavoda likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:51 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Can I add my SEB MC to MobilePay, and then use MobilePay to transfer money from my SEB MC to a friend? There's no extra charge or fees involved, like there would be when withdrawing cash? And you get points, too?
Yes, you can. No fees.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:54 am

Okay, this sounds great! Thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold
AY MC by Nordea yields 2 points per used euro from Feb 15th onwards.
jakas likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:09 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Are you guys sure Mobile Pay gives AY points with SEB MC? I see a potential issue there to build a points making machine and I doubt it works that way?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Edit: Disregard this. Lkrt knows the system two posts down.

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Are you guys sure Mobile Pay gives AY points with SEB MC? I see a potential issue there to build a points making machine and I doubt it works that way?
On MobilePay's page about limits (in Finnish):
  • Jos olet käyttänyt pankkitunnuksia tunnistautuessasi, on raja vastaanottamiselle tai lähettämiselle 500 €/päivä ja 15 000 €/vuosi.
  • Muutoin raja on 100 €/päivä ja 5000 €/vuosi.
So with the Nordea MasterCard it's 30k points a year from shuffling money around and potentially some very interested tax auditors at your door.

EDIT: I'm sure plenty of 500's will be shuffled in the next HEL DO.

Last edited by cistavoda; Feb 17, 2019 at 8:54 am Reason: added

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.