FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   Soft landing for Plats? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1809616-soft-landing-plats.html)

Ed Size Dec 19, 2016 1:44 am

Soft landing for Plats?

After 9 years being a AY Plat - I won t make much more then 50K this year -AY was never available when I needed them, and my travel pattern changed. I still have a lot of points in my account - so I wonder if I use them to stay Gold at least - or does AY give me that for free (as a softlanding)?

reflektia Dec 19, 2016 1:50 am

Ay has unofficial soft landing policy. So you should get gold.

Post Scriptum Dec 19, 2016 12:51 pm

In addition, it is also possible that they might extend the soft landing to silver for some years. One ex-colleague of mine was AY Gold/Plat since early nineties (after the initiation of program) and after stopping flying for work, still received silver for several years (AFAIK, 3rd year running). Thenagain, silver nowadays isn't really big perk anymore so maybe that is why they dish it out so easily for long-time FF's.

Ed Size Jan 3, 2017 12:42 pm

Got the soft landing to gold, so no waste of points - thx for the advice.

Unsub Jan 4, 2017 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Ed Size (Post 27698742)

Yay! Nice to finally have a recent confirmation of this. How many tier points did you have?

Ed Size Jan 4, 2017 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Unsub (Post 27701586)
Yay! Nice to finally have a recent confirmation of this. How many tier points did you have?

Not much, I did one rt to BKK on an upgraded Y Ticket (value), and by the end of the year one rt on RJ in C - but the points for this flight are not in my account yet.

SPBanker Jan 4, 2017 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Ed Size (Post 27698742)

Good to hear... and congrats!

intuition Jan 5, 2017 4:30 am

Yes, much appreciated the postback.

These kind of undocumented features of the program is important to now and then hear if they still are working as before.

ottersmacker Jul 6, 2018 3:30 am

Just as an n=1 update: the soft landing still exists as of July 2018, there is no explicit notification.
The user concerned fell short by around 10% via points and will keep using AY+ because of this (as opposed to BAEC or some status match route)

FFlash Nov 1, 2018 3:47 am

I was even nowhere near Gold so I am expecting where I storm down from Plat. My account timer and all that has been reset but status still shows Plat. I don’t think they will grace me another Plat year, and the voucher saldo looks zero so the status has most likely not been updated yet.
When does the status update? I am expecting softlanding to Gold and I desperately need those SH vouchers asap :)

intuition Nov 1, 2018 3:53 am

No experience of that exact situation, but adding vouchers to newly minted Golds have been very slow this year. I gifted Gold and it took several weeks before vouchers were granted.

FFlash Nov 20, 2018 2:18 pm

I am now 20 days into November and my status is still as Plat and getting all the bennies onboard and all that despite I run until ens of my period October less than gold and expected soft landing.
do I have lifetime plat now or what? Any data points when they downgrade?

on22cz Nov 20, 2018 2:33 pm

After how many years of Plat-hood did you happen to be well below tier requirements? Could it be a nice loyalty gesture of AY allowing you to consolidate your flight patterns for the next year while not losing benefits?

FlyeBye Nov 20, 2018 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 30450039)
I am now 20 days into November and my status is still as Plat and getting all the bennies onboard and all that despite I run until ens of my period October less than gold and expected soft landing.
do I have lifetime plat now or what? Any data points when they downgrade?

This has happened to my better half. After failing to requalify after 5 or so straight Plat years, she kept that status for another year and was downgraded the following year. I don't think this was by mistake, so there might be another grace period for multi year plats.

intuition Nov 21, 2018 12:04 am

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 30450039)
do I have lifetime plat now or what?

:D
Congrats on the first imaginary lifetime plat! :)