Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by ffay005
I wouldn't worry too much. AY cancels a flight here and there, but the odds that they would cancel a random TOS or IVL flight are definitely not high. I feel most cxl and superlong delays tend to happen to longhauls, and to very short domestic flights.
Thank you!
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:57 am

So I thought I try something new and booked my first flight starting from Tampere. How long before should one arrive at the airport? The Finnair website says check in closes 45 minutes before departure, but what does somebody do for 45 minutes?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by casper79
So I thought I try something new and booked my first flight starting from Tampere. How long before should one arrive at the airport? The Finnair website says check in closes 45 minutes before departure, but what does somebody do for 45 minutes?
If you have done OLCI and already have bp and no bags to check you can get there with even less time to spare.

Never flown out of TMP but being formerly TKU based I speak from that experience with an equally small airport.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by casper79
If you need to check bags, I would follow the rule. Finnair is pretty relaxed about the cutoff time but there is a chance that they have a reason to dump you if you fail to meet the time.
if no bags, you are good to go until last 20 mins. However, keep eye on traffic so that security control is open still, or orher flights block you behind queue
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by reflektia
Does anyone know when check-in counters for AY68 (nighttime KIX-HEL) open?
22:55 it seems. Only 3 more hours. At least terminal is much much better than JFK t8.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:27 am

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
I will bring my luggage to the HEL airport the day before in order to avoid all the hazzle for the next morning early flight. Some of our group don't have ay app and the possibility to use e-boarding pass. Will I be able to print out those boarding passes already the day before? If I do it at the machine, will I need something else than names and reservation nr.?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by kanamurva
I will bring my luggage to the HEL airport the day before in order to avoid all the hazzle for the next morning early flight. Some of our group don't have ay app and the possibility to use e-boarding pass. Will I be able to print out those boarding passes already the day before? If I do it at the machine, will I need something else than names and reservation nr.?
As long as you are in possession of their travel docs you can check in for the entire group at the desk. If using the self serve machines you will most likely get by with the record locators and last names, unless the machine prompts passport verification depending on where you are headed.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
I didn’t know it was possible that award flights waitliste could partially clear...

Got a flight AMS-HEL-KUO and back waitlisted but only HEL-KUO and KUO-HEL-AMS got cleared. These show in my Finnair app now.

Called platinum line and they said the AMS-HEL one couldn’t clear yet and it could take up to a week before departure to clear. Annoying....
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:09 am
SCS

I am trying to book AMS-HEL-ICN in economy in mid September. The complication is that I need to book fare class V or higher in order to get sufficient Elite Qualifying Miles in the AAdvantage program. Currently, it appears that there are 5 seats available in N class and at least 9 in S class, both of which will not earn enough EQMs for my purposes. One option is to book V class now over the phone and pay the 35 euro fee. But is there any reason I shouldn't simply wait until the N and S inventory are sold and V becomes the cheapest available?

(I also thought about using bookwithmatrix, but for my itinerary the only bookwithmatrix option is FlightNetwork, and there are reports on FT of FlightNetwork playing games on the backend with fare codes, so I don't want to risk that.)
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by SCS
I am trying to book AMS-HEL-ICN in economy in mid September. The complication is that I need to book fare class V or higher in order to get sufficient Elite Qualifying Miles in the AAdvantage program. Currently, it appears that there are 5 seats available in N class and at least 9 in S class, both of which will not earn enough EQMs for my purposes. One option is to book V class now over the phone and pay the 35 euro fee. But is there any reason I shouldn't simply wait until the N and S inventory are sold and V becomes the cheapest available?

(I also thought about using bookwithmatrix, but for my itinerary the only bookwithmatrix option is FlightNetwork, and there are reports on FT of FlightNetwork playing games on the backend with fare codes, so I don't want to risk that.)
Just call and ask them to wave the booking fee as you can't book V online or use a travel agent.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold

AY365 Returning back to HEL?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 8:12 pm

Do codeshare flights (flight number in AY) count as Finnair flights when counting segments for Finnair Plus Platinum Lumo? Or do the 100 Finnair segments have to be flown with Finnair planes with AY flight numbers?

Last edited by jj88jj; Jul 18, 2019 at 8:28 pm
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jj88jj
Do codeshare flights (flight number in AY) count as Finnair flights when counting segments for Finnair Plus Platinum Lumo? Or do the 100 Finnair segments have to be flown with Finnair planes with AY flight numbers?
My experience is that codeshare flights coded as AY do count as AY flights for Lumo purposes. Specifically, AY flights operated by BA and AA have counted for me.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Was looking at some ex-EU flights to Asia recently, and came across higher prices than usual. Upon further investigation, noticed that AY has seemingly wiped out most of married segment availability in fare class I from many outports more than 3 months out (for 1 outport, checked as far as 6 months out, still no I). And the flights are definitely not sold out either, some of them are I9 on all segments individually.

Anyone come across something like this before? My initial hypothesis would be that this is AY IT at its best again.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by SuloL
Was looking at some ex-EU flights to Asia recently, and came across higher prices than usual. Upon further investigation, noticed that AY has seemingly wiped out most of married segment availability in fare class I from many outports more than 3 months out (for 1 outport, checked as far as 6 months out, still no I). And the flights are definitely not sold out either, some of them are I9 on all segments individually.

Anyone come across something like this before? My initial hypothesis would be that this is AY IT at its best again.
Upon some investigation on EF, it seems that the base fare for e.g. ISA2HU has risen 500+ € or roughly 46% since one week ago, when I previously booked this. Has the buying power in the market suddenly increased, or so many FT idiots buying these that it made a difference, or someone at AY typed in the total fare as base fare? (the last would actually match prior prices quite nicely)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.