Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:48 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ffay005
My upcoming HEL-SIN, upgraded to J, shows 2 pc, including tier benefits, in the App. I don't really care since I don't intend to check anything in, but the whole baggage allowance thing is one big mess.
It is and always been.
2PC is likely coming from Y allowance + tier benefit.

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
On top of that my flights to and from JFK in J showed the weight allowance being 23kg when it should be 32kg.
Technically, the 32KG isn't the allowance. 23KG is, but heavy bag fee is waived so you get 32KG at the same price as 23KG, but it is still heavy bag add-on. Maybe splitting hairs, but that's how it always been.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:28 am

Does anyone know when check-in counters for AY68 (nighttime KIX-HEL) open?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, EBG, FB Blue, Asante Platinum, AB Exec
Plat status quarantine?

Just reached flight #76 and got the points for it yesterday. Still shows status as Gold and no upgrade vouchers available. Any idea when Plat status will be live? Next flight in two days...
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I'm looking for some clarify on why I'm not able to find flights between SFO and CHP. Searches always bring up BA and AA flights even when I search directly on finnair.com.

My dates of travel are October 30th with a return on November 12th. The message I receive from finnair confuses me. It reads "Direct flights from Helsinki to San Francisco: 31 May - 6 December 2019 and 11 April - 6 June 2020." Should my flights be okay to find the direct flight to Helsinki and connect on to CHP?

Thanks in advance for tips/suggestions.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I'm looking for some clarify on why I'm not able to find flights between SFO and CHP. Searches always bring up BA and AA flights even when I search directly on finnair.com.

My dates of travel are October 30th with a return on November 12th. The message I receive from finnair confuses me. It reads "Direct flights from Helsinki to San Francisco: 31 May - 6 December 2019 and 11 April - 6 June 2020." Should my flights be okay to find the direct flight to Helsinki and connect on to CHP?

Thanks in advance for tips/suggestions.
Not sure which days, but HEL-SFO-HEL is a thrice a week (not daily) service. You could try to route through JFK.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin
Not sure which days, but HEL-SFO-HEL is a thrice a week (not daily) service. You could try to route through JFK.
Just tried M-F for the last week of October and nothing... Sat/Sun are grey on the calendar as unavailable. Ultimately my destination is CPH. Just trying to avoid BA. AA.com and Finnair.com pull BA in the mix of options and most are going through LHR as the entry point once departing the USA.

Seems like the connection to CPH is the issue. Tues. and Sat. there are flights to HEL from SFO. There are daily flights between HEL and CPH. But trying to book SFO-CPH doesn't work for some reason.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Just tried M-F for the last week of October and nothing... Sat/Sun are grey on the calendar as unavailable. Ultimately my destination is CPH. Just trying to avoid BA. AA.com and Finnair.com pull BA in the mix of options and most are going through LHR as the entry point once departing the USA.
I checked matrix. The thrice a week (Mon, Wed, Fri) changes to twice a week (Mon, Fri) on the last week of October. If you're feeling adventurous you could do SFO-JFK-HEL-CPH.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I'm looking for some clarify on why I'm not able to find flights between SFO and CHP.
Maybe because there is no commercial service to Circle Hot Springs, AK...

Fairbanks is the closest with a once weekly seasonal non-stop with UA out of SFO.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Maybe because there is no commercial service to Circle Hot Springs, AK...

Fairbanks is the closest with a once weekly seasonal non-stop with UA out of SFO.
My bad.. Airport code is new to me at the moment... Keep wanting to write it as CHP. But it's CPH I'm actually destined to visit.
miamiflyer8 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:57 pm

[eQUOTE=remymartin;31205867]I checked matrix. The thrice a week (Mon, Wed, Fri) changes to twice a week (Mon, Fri) on the last week of October. If you're feeling adventurous you could do SFO-JFK-HEL-CPH.[/QUOTE]

Thanks... That helps a bit searching on AA.com as now I'm seeing Finnair flight in the mix with options to get around LHR. Just need to widen my search to be multi-city rather than one-way. It's a cruise we're taking and it departs from Denmark and arrives in UK.

First assessment is that I'm going to be at the mercy of being OWE if I book Y. Otherwise just bite to bullet and book J. There's limited chances of using AA SWU for legs on the TALT legs.

Last edited by Zacnlinc; Jun 15, 2019 at 1:08 pm
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks... That helps a bit searching on AA.com as now I'm seeing Finnair flight in the mix with options to get around LHR. Just need to widen my search to be multi-city rather than one-way. It's a cruise we're taking and it departs from Denmark and arrives in UK.

First assessment is that I'm going to be at the mercy of being OWE if I book Y. Otherwise just bite to bullet and book J. There's limited chances of using AA SWU for legs on the TALT legs.
It might be cheaper to purchase a ticket originating in LAX and buying a separate SFO/SJC-LAX ticket, especially if you end up booking business.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Hi everyone. How is Finnair's short-haul reliabilty in the wintertime? Currently arranging a winter trip to Scandinavia and our desired itinerary will rely on flights from TOS>>IVL to keep the sequence in the order we want. However we are being advised that internal flights tend to be delayed/cancelled quite a bit in the winter. I have no idea whether this is true or not.

The alternative being suggested involves lengthy bus rides or reordering the trip in a way that doesn't really make sense to us.

Completely understand there will be some WX that will cause any flight to have to cancel - but wasn't sure if Finnair or certain routes in particular have a reputation for cancelling more often that we should be aware of?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Finnair often cancels ultra-short domestic flights, not so much those to Lapland, I think, especially not during high (winter) season.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Finnair often cancels ultra-short domestic flights, not so much those to Lapland, I think, especially not during high (winter) season.
Hmm, the ideal routing were considering is TOS-HEL-IVL. Early December so just at the start of high season.

Operated by an E190 and A321 so not the biggest equipment, but also not the smallest. The other issue is TOS-HEL only appears to operate one flight every other day, so if that is cancelled we have a complicated string of flights on other airlines needed to recover.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I wouldn't worry too much. AY cancels a flight here and there, but the odds that they would cancel a random TOS or IVL flight are definitely not high. I feel most cxl and superlong delays tend to happen to longhauls, and to very short domestic flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.