Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I am working from memory here, but once you've connected to the network, I believe it's literally a matter of clicking the big blue button that comes up on the launch page (that basically says "Connect to free WiFi"), which is below a box with a plus sign that allows you to "add your flight."
So no registration necessary? That's good news, even we can't tell them anymore as they are in flight now. Next news maybe in 9 hours.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by 31570324
So no registration necessary? That's good news, even we can't tell them anymore as they are in flight now. Next news maybe in 9 hours.
No registration needed.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:41 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by SuloL
AY has Chinese staff too at HEL, or at least Asians who to my ear speak fluent Chinese (Mandarin).
Where are these to be found?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by intuition
If there are those, I would guess that at least one is working at the Check-In during Check-In time for China bound flights.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Finavia has chinese staff selling trinkets in the tax free maze!
But seriously, I've seen helper staff hanging around Gate 32 at a special round desk.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by cistavoda
But seriously, I've seen helper staff hanging around Gate 32 at a special round desk.
That's what intuition wrote before, but that's no Finnair Staff.
cistavoda likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I’ve seen them working as gate agents.

I’m sure that if a monolingual Chinese pax appears at any gate and starts babbling away in Chinese, ultimately they’ll call a Chinese agent to the gate.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:58 am

Just checked their reservation online and saw, that Finnair rebooked them to AY1421, which depart tomorrow morning 08:30 from HEL to HAM.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:25 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
If there are those, I would guess that at least one is working at the Check-In during Check-In time for China bound flights.
OK, I never go there so I wouldnt know.
They would be difficult to get hold of during transfer though.
Actually, a few years ago I asked finnair exactly this. Can you assist a mono ling chinese elder during transfer. They were oblivious to the request and solution but at least put in a SSR in the ticket. Of course no one showed up at the gate to assit and pax was left to own devices.

Point is, people are reporting improvements but Finnair should advertise their transfer service if they indeed offer one.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Have I understood correctly that when an airline reroutes a passenger to another carrier, the airlines that actually fly the passenger only get what the passenger originally paid for the rerouted segments? So the original airline only loses revenue and for the receiving airline it's usually a bad deal, as on average reroutes are longer than the original routing (but OTOH the reroutes on last minute come on seats that would have otherwise been empty, so it might not be a bad deal after all).

If this is correct, I wonder why airlines are so reluctant on proactive reroutings, especially in cases where they become liable for EC261.

Last edited by r2d2; Apr 26, 2019 at 6:36 am
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by r2d2
Have I understood correctly that when an airline reroutes a passenger to another carrier, the airlines that actually fly the passenger only get what the passenger originally paid for the rerouted segments? So the original airline only loses revenue and for the receiving airline it's usually a bad deal, as on average reroutes are longer than the original routing (but OTOH the reroutes on last minute come on seats that would have otherwise been empty, so it might not be a bad deal after all).
No that's not correct. The airline that reroute the passenger will only pay a discounted fare to the new carrier, but not the same they earned for the journey. And of course they would lose money, if they reroute to other airlines, as they have to pay the other airline while they likely can't sell the empty seat on their own plane again to anyone else.
And there are no big benefits for them if they reroute specially chinese pax. I guess most chinese will not try to get the 600€ compensation, because they even don't know about it and the airline doesn't inform about it, so they would just avoid to pay a hotel and food for them if they would reroute them.
If it would be a western pax, they would maybe show a different behavior, as it could happen that these pax book tickets for another flight to the destination and ask them for reimbursement which could be expensive for them.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:05 am

Just checked their reservation online and saw, that Finnair rebooked them to AY1421, which depart tomorrow morning 08:30 from HEL to HAM.
This is pretty good isnt it? 600 euros per person, a nice overnight with dinner in Helsinki after a long flight and early flight next day to Hamburg.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by ylefin
This is pretty good isnt it? 600 euros per person, a nice overnight with dinner in Helsinki after a long flight and early flight next day to Hamburg.
Well for me it would be great, but for them not really. There was no staff at the bridge, so they had to go to transfer desk. There they got a hotel voucher and new boarding passes. They got a voucher for the scandic aviacongress incl. dinner and breakfast, and had to take a shuttle bus. There was no chinese speaking staff available for them, not at the transfer desk, and nowhere else. So now they are waiting for another chinese passenger which also missed his connection (not to HAM) to send them to the bus station and get them to the correct shuttle bus. At least the managed to use the Wifi.
Btw. they had to pick up their luggage.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:18 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by cistavoda
Wouldn't that be the multi-lingual support point that Finavia buys from Li Zhouyan (as mentioned in post 2037 ? So neither Finnair staff nor primarily there to facilitate transfers.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:20 pm

Well for me it would be great, but for them not really. There was no staff at the bridge, so they had to go to transfer desk. There they got a hotel voucher and new boarding passes. They got a voucher for the scandic aviacongress incl. dinner and breakfast, and had to take a shuttle bus. There was no chinese speaking staff available for them, not at the transfer desk, and nowhere else. So now they are waiting for another chinese passenger which also missed his connection (not to HAM) to send them to the bus station and get them to the correct shuttle bus. At least the managed to use the Wifi.
Btw. they had to pick up their luggage.
Well, if all this is so difficult, maybe your relatives should not travel at all? At least not without a group or without someone travelling with them and helping. Of course I understand your concern.

Last edited by ylefin; Apr 26, 2019 at 12:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.