Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
hi all
Apologies if this has been answered before (the last post I could find on FT is from 2016) but reading the Finnair website its not entirely clear if One World Emerald (Qantas) can select economy comfort for free or not. I am flying PVG-HEL-PVG in a few weeks
thanks
Answering my own question, i logged into the manage my booking and it was trying to charge me, then I called customer service and once my FFN was correctly entered and registering me as OWE, it was easy, did it online and was able to select Economy comfort at no charge! Wish I knew this last time I flew AY!
ffay005, remymartin and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Would anyone know why the Finnair webpage refuses to sell me a HEL-KTT//TOS-HEL ticket?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I doubt that open-jaw fares exists for mixing domestic and Norwegian destinations.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Because computer says no....... If you can find a suitable fare using ITA Matrix or any OTA, look it up and then call AY. They'll ticket it on the phone and waive the phone fee (at least if you insist) since online booking isn't possible. (However, it could be that the fare rules don't allow you to create an open jaw where one portion is domestic and the other international.)
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by niksal
Would anyone know why the Finnair webpage refuses to sell me a HEL-KTT//TOS-HEL ticket?
Difficult to mix domestic Finland fare and Norway-Finland fare? I've also had some issues making complicated bookings when starting from BGO (also WF flight, like TOS), so could be that as well? Just speculating.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:14 pm

How would VAT work on such fare? Apply only on the domestic portion?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Originally Posted by Courmisch
How would VAT work on such fare? Apply only on the domestic portion?
Yep.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:27 pm

What about VAT on, say, OUL-HEL-LHR? Is there no VAT on the domestic leg because it's part of an international itinerary? Do stopovers at HEL matter?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Originally Posted by ffay005
What about VAT on, say, OUL-HEL-LHR? Is there no VAT on the domestic leg because it's part of an international itinerary? Do stopovers at HEL matter?
Correct, no VAT. I assume stopovers do matter but what constitutes a stopover may not be the same 24h rule as generally in the aviation industry.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
EDIT: removed, will post in seperate thread

Last edited by EuroFlash; Apr 2, 2019 at 12:56 pm
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:02 pm

In my experience with Google Flights, it is quite common for prices to jump for a day or a few, and then go back to reasonable values - with any airline. Sometimes in bulk. Sometimes, it's really corrupt values in the Google Flights cache. Sometimes, I guess, revenue management is having some trial and error ...

That said, well, KUO-AMS fares are probably mostly purchased by price-insensitive Finnish and European bureaucrats, and see no meaningful competition, so Finnair could very well be on to something.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
This annoys the hell out of me. Having a long-distance relationship and a limited amount of days off I constantly track prices for weekend trips to Finland.
My Google Flights email alerts have just gone crazy, letting me know that ALL my tracked weekend trip flights for the rest of the year have been risen from +- 250 euro to at least 400.
I really wonder what triggers such change to such an extent. Sucks big time.

EDIT: oh my. Lowest price AMS-HEL-KUO return used to be 258 euro for at least the past 1 to 2 years. It's at least 403 euro now, can't find anything cheaper till the rest of the year.
[...]
and more...
I have seen this already for over a year on my preferred route. At first they zeroed all lower booking classes no matter the dates. It took like 6 months until prices were adjusted and lower booking classes popped up again albeit there are less reasonable/cheap options nowadays.

I assume they use the period to allow their availability algorithm learn what prices can be charged. Now it is also a good time because summer is the period to earn good money.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:10 pm

Completely out of curiosity, in AY's Asian routes that staffed by local cabin crew, do they already have a member of cabin crew that speaks Finnish? Of course, I know they all speak one or more local languages and English.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:22 pm

Some speak a few words, which I apprecuate immensely, but AY has not made it a priority to teach their Asian crews Finnish. Imagine a Lufthansa flight attendant who doesn't speak German, or an Air France one who doesn't know French...

So to answer your question, there are flights where zero members of the cabin crew speak Finnish.
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005
Some speak a few words, which I apprecuate immensely, but AY has not made it a priority to teach their Asian crews Finnish. Imagine a Lufthansa flight attendant who doesn't speak German, or an Air France one who doesn't know French...

So to answer your question, there are flights where zero members of the cabin crew speak Finnish.
Thanks, that is what I was guessing. I guess the overlap of Finns who do not speak English and that travel to Asia is very low.
Steve_Hun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.