Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
I am a BA Gold/OW sapphire but have 28,000 AY miles from stays in various hotels in the Nordics. Unfortunately these are about to expire at the end of May and I wondered if there is any simple/cheap way of keeping them active? I don't want to credit any flights to AY as I need the tier points in BA and I have no hotel stays coming up.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Originally Posted by Some person
Check if this works: https://www.finnairshop.com/en/bookingcom-hotel-search

You get one point per euro on Booking.com bookings, and I suppose this bumps the expiration date? If you're not travelling at all, it's trivial to find a throw-away hotel booking for two euros for one night in Bangkok which should give you two points.
To add a second suggestion, you could donate 1000 points to charity. This activity should also reset the expiration date.
https://www.finnairshop.com/en/finna...oducts/charity
tigertanaka likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:45 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
I am a BA Gold/OW sapphire but have 28,000 AY miles from stays in various hotels in the Nordics. Unfortunately these are about to expire at the end of May and I wondered if there is any simple/cheap way of keeping them active? I don't want to credit any flights to AY as I need the tier points in BA and I have no hotel stays coming up.

Any suggestions appreciated.
I am no expert, but IIRC, using points by any shopping however small it is at finnairshop.com would extend lifetime of remaining points.

-- Added
Ah, flyingeph12 beat me to this solution!
tigertanaka likes this.

Last edited by intuition; Mar 10, 2019 at 4:47 pm Reason: wasn't quick enough
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC/AY
Do you get less point from flying alliance iron?

Hi,
Quick question, do I get less points for flying BA to HEL than flying AY to HEL if I have my Finnair FF- number in the ticket?
Also, flipping the question around, do i get less Finnair tier points than the equivalent of BA tier from flying BA Iron LHR-MRU with my Finnair FF on the ticket than flying with my EC number on it?
Currently EC number on the premium econ flight shows 200 tier points ( OW SAPPHIRE requires 600 for BA and 80K for Finnair).
Thanks in advance
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by dietervonbuck
Hi,
Quick question, do I get less points for flying BA to HEL than flying AY to HEL if I have my Finnair FF- number in the ticket?
Also, flipping the question around, do i get less Finnair tier points than the equivalent of BA tier from flying BA Iron LHR-MRU with my Finnair FF on the ticket than flying with my EC number on it?
Currently EC number on the premium econ flight shows 200 tier points ( OW SAPPHIRE requires 600 for BA and 80K for Finnair).
Thanks in advance
This calculator could help you: https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/finnair-plus/earn-points
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:11 am

Hi,
Yeah I tried it but as I dont know the exact booking class because they are not visible, it wont give me an accurate reading. Hence I was asking if generally flying Finnair FF on BA iron gives less points than flying BAEC on BA iron or are they "equivalent".

As the BAEC tier accumulation is so different (600 vs 80K for OW Sapphire) i was just wondering if there is big difference as Im thinking of swapping to Finnair.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:38 am

Hi,
Yeah I tried it but as I dont know the exact booking class because they are not visible, it wont give me an accurate reading. Hence I was asking if generally flying Finnair FF on BA iron gives less points than flying BAEC on BA iron or are they "equivalent".

As the BAEC tier accumulation is so different (600 vs 80K for OW Sapphire) i was just wondering if there is big difference as Im thinking of swapping to Finnair.
I would say in general you would be better off with BAEC, especially if you are flying mostly economy or premium economy (AY+ generally does not give more points for PEY). Additionally, I would say Avios in general are more “valuable” than AY+ points. I think the calculation might be different if you were flying mostly AY or AY codeshares, since AY+ elites get bonus tier points (e.g., AY golds get a bonus 15% on AY flights and codeshares), which technically makes requalification easier.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Hi,
Most likely, yes. If you collect AY points, and
- fly AY metal, AY flight number, it's easy enough to earn 2000 points on a Value ticket, or 4000 in business class
- fly AY metal, AY flight number on the cheapest tickets, earn 1000 points (or even 500 if it's a campaign fare)
- fly BA metal but AY flight number, those figures are 913 (Light), 1825 (Value) and 3650 (Business) (or at least should be; this is a destination that has both codeshare flights and AY metal flights and in some cases the codeshares have received points according to zones, ie 2000/4000
- fly BA metal, BA flight number, you'll most likely earn 25-50% in Y and 125 % in J (calculated from 1825 base points based on distance in kms)
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:36 am

Super, thanks a lot for this clarification - seems like it might be always just a tad more beneficial flying the ticket and metal on the same company even if its in the alliance, as there will otherwise most likely be some deductions

Also with AY not having Premium Economy tickets valued the the same way BAEC does. Last question, If you could choose any OW Sapphire membership and would be based in London, would it still make most sense going with BA even if a lot of the flights are to Helsinki?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:14 am

Super, thanks a lot for this clarification - seems like it might be always just a tad more beneficial flying the ticket and metal on the same company even if its in the alliance, as there will otherwise most likely be some deductions

Also with AY not having Premium Economy tickets valued the the same way BAEC does. Last question, If you could choose any OW Sapphire membership and would be based in London, would it still make most sense going with BA even if a lot of the flights are to Helsinki?
Personally, I would choose AY over BA because I like the A321s and A359s that AY uses on LHR-HEL, as opposed to the A319/20s that BA tends to use. Also, in general, I think it’s also easier to upgrade (if you value upgrades) with AY+ since Golds (OWS) get upgrade vouchers. The flip side, as I mentioned before, Avios in general I think are more valuable overall.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
You don't specify if metal and marketing is the same, though. Marketing is what counts so you can fly AY code, BA op as much as you want.

I'd stick to BAEC even when flying to HEL. LHR-HEL is a sort of sweet spot in the system earning 10-40TP (more realistically 10 or 20) in Y and 80TP in J, whether you're on AY or BA code. The watering down of BA operated flights will make it far more difficult to POAG or AUP, though. If you have status with BA, you will get extra Avios, e.g. BA Silver gets 50% extra Avios.

Last edited by remymartin; Mar 12, 2019 at 11:50 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin
You don't specify if metal and marketing is the same, though. Marketing is what counts so you can fly AY code, BA op as much as you want.
AY code, AY metal: Points to AY+ are based on a fake distance of 2000 km.
AY code, BA metal: Points to AY+ are supposed to be based on the actual distance. Only a minor difference (less than 10%) on this route.
BA code, AY/BA metal: Points to AY+ are based on the actual distance.

Looking at a random date (HEL-LHR 21 March, LHR-HEL 28 March), codeshares are a lot more expensive than if you don't book codeshare. AY.com only offered Pro on AY codeshares on BA, but Value (and often Light) could be selected on AY flights. BA.com had a lot higher prices for BA codeshares on AY than for BA flights, except that the most expensive BA flight had the same price as the cheapest AY flight in business class. Unless you need fully flexible tickets, you probably won't want codeshares.

BA people seem to use the HEL-LHR route for mileage runs (see for example this thread), so it may be that the route earns better on BA's FFP than on AY's FFP.

Last edited by Im a new user; Mar 12, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: Amex Plat
Hi all, fighting with AY IT system. Trying to add members to the FF group, select invitation language, name, email, easy. No matter which language I choose system keep displaying an error: Language is required.
Did anyone had that and how to progress?

Invite members

Send invitations to people you know – they will receive a message to join your Family&Friends group. You can invite a maximum of 8 people to join your group.

Please check the following field(s):
  • Language is required
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:25 pm

BAEC vs AY+

Among the reasons BA people like to take BA HEL-LHR in J is not only 80 TP OW but also that the J tickets could be found for 400 € R/T. AY tickets cost at least 900 €.
remymartin and esledo like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
hi all
Apologies if this has been answered before (the last post I could find on FT is from 2016) but reading the Finnair website its not entirely clear if One World Emerald (Qantas) can select economy comfort for free or not. I am flying PVG-HEL-PVG in a few weeks
thanks
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
hi all
Apologies if this has been answered before (the last post I could find on FT is from 2016) but reading the Finnair website its not entirely clear if One World Emerald (Qantas) can select economy comfort for free or not. I am flying PVG-HEL-PVG in a few weeks
thanks
Yes, we can select Eco Comfort for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.