Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Thanks everyone. Able to make some sense of it now
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:00 am

Yesterday I noticed that Finnair cancelled AY269 to Tampere.

How does Finnair handle cancellations of these very short domestic hops (AY269 and AY229). Do they put the passengers in taxis or a bus or do they put them overnight and on a train in the morning?

What about the morning flights?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Taxi, probably shared. Worst case scenario, taxi drops pax at TMP instead of downtown.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:21 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I believe someone here on FT (can't remeber the handle) is TMP based or often heading for TMP and have on multiple occasions been "rerouted" on bus.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Are there actually any award flights available to Rhodes, Greece?
These AY flights have a charter flight code but are bookable through Finnair.com (and obviously in a package via Aurinkomatkat). Wondering if I could waitlist for such flight...
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
Are there actually any award flights available to Rhodes, Greece?
These AY flights have a charter flight code but are bookable through Finnair.com (and obviously in a package via Aurinkomatkat). Wondering if I could waitlist for such flight...
I cant find any AY charters to Rhodes. Which days and which codes ? AY chartered flights are AY2xxx

If AY selling it, it's not a charter.

And awards are available.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I went to RHO last June on an award ticket.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
I cant find any AY charters to Rhodes. Which days and which codes ? AY chartered flights are AY2xxx

If AY selling it, it's not a charter.

And awards are available.
Ah gotcha. I read somewhere the 18XX series were charter flights too. I saw these flights offered as a package on Aurinkomatkat but obviously that doesn't mean it's a charter then..
Great to hear!

EDIT: Finnair website says this, this caused the confusion:
Charter flights include all Finnair flights that are rented out to travel agencies for package deals. All charter flights are numbered AY1000–AY1999. The travel agency is responsible for the sale of the package deals so buying flights through Finnair is not possible.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:50 am

Charter flights include all Finnair flights that are rented out to travel agencies for package deals. All charter flights are numbered AY1000AY1999. The travel agency is responsible for the sale of the package deals so buying flights through Finnair is not possible.
We all know AY IT and speed of it.

Dont trust AY site. Trust FT.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:51 am

We all know AY IT and speed of it.

Dont trust AY site. Trust FT.
Quote of the year my man.
NoWindowSeat, OH-LGG and kanamurva like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
AY chartered flights are AY2xxx
Seems that it's changing. AY2xxx flight numbers have been assigned at least on some KA code-share flights.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
AY2xxx flight numbers have been assigned at least on some KA code-share flights.
Yep, few KA operated routes in Asia are coded AY26xx
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
I am a BA Gold/OW sapphire but have 28,000 AY miles from stays in various hotels in the Nordics. Unfortunately these are about to expire at the end of May and I wondered if there is any simple/cheap way of keeping them active? I don't want to credit any flights to AY as I need the tier points in BA and I have no hotel stays coming up.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by tigertanaka
I am a BA Gold/OW sapphire but have 28,000 AY miles from stays in various hotels in the Nordics. Unfortunately these are about to expire at the end of May and I wondered if there is any simple/cheap way of keeping them active? I don't want to credit any flights to AY as I need the tier points in BA and I have no hotel stays coming up.
Check if this works: https://www.finnairshop.com/en/bookingcom-hotel-search

You get one point per euro on Booking.com bookings, and I suppose this bumps the expiration date? If you're not travelling at all, it's trivial to find a throw-away hotel booking for two euros for one night in Bangkok which should give you two points.
ffay005 and tigertanaka like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:31 pm

Charter flights include all Finnair flights that are rented out to travel agencies for package deals. All charter flights are numbered AY1000AY1999. The travel agency is responsible for the sale of the package deals so buying flights through Finnair is not possible.
AY+ earnings page indicates that the charter flights were AY10001999 until 28 October 2017 and AY20012500 since 29 October 2017.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.