Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Anything that is waitlisted and not yet confirmed can be cancelled.

When waitlisting an award, they charge taxes only once it has cleared.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:52 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
But if it is still on waitlist inside T-24 I believe you can cancel?
Originally Posted by ffay005

OK, that is good.

The cautious way would still be to make a decision before T-24. I mean, I wouldn't wait 'til say T-23 and then cancel due to risk waitlist clears (yes, ironically to call it a risk that a waitlist clears!! ) between when you decide you want to cancel and when you have the opportunity to actually cancel it.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold

And if you don't pay taxes and thus not confirm your waitlist... will you have your points refunded?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Open-jaw award for the price of return

As we know, one-way awards cost more than 50% of the respective return award points. E.g. intercon Y is 55k oneway, but only 90k return.

We also know that you cannot book open jaw award on the website, so probably many of us books oneway (I do - or I did until now!)

Checking the AY+ T&C, however, there's an interesting section (4.10) explicitly allowing open-jaw rewards and implicitly considers it a return ticket. I talked to a very knowing agent today, she confirmed, that they can do it and specifically confirmed that it's the price of a return award. So had I called in, our HEL-SIN//BKK-HEL trip would've costed only 90k points, instead of 2x55k - bummer. She said that to change it, she'd have to cancel the original bookings and issue new ones in one booking, but it's all subject current availability, which is, alas none. Instead of waitlisting I just swallowed the extra 20k/pax this time, but for the future, bear this in mind!
r2d2, SPBanker, intuition and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:28 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Is this new?!
I remember text on web (not in T&C) saying no OJ???
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I don't know, I haven't read the T&C before in such a detail
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:01 pm
Moderator, Finnair

OK, I checked the archives and this sentence has been there for many years, so nothing new.

On the "Use points" pages the text is (and has been for years)
"Return flights must depart from and return to the same city."

which at least I have taken to mean no OJ are allowed. But combined with the text in T&C it is clear that single OJ is allowed, on the destination side of the trip.

4.10 has been like this for years:
"All award flights are round-trip flights and must return to the departure location (with the exception of one-way award flights). Returning from a different destination is possible (exceptions are made by individual airlines), although the number of points deducted for the award will always be based on the higher sector. "

The "exceptions are made by individual airline" is a catch. I guess you could still be denied a OJ based on this wildcard exception.

Nevertheless, a great find @WilcoRoger!!! ^
LoungeEnthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
This is indeed great to get clarity on this. Back in 2001 I did such an OJ on an award ticket HEL-BSL-GVA // MXP-HEL (outbound on Crossair with AY code), but somehow thought open-jaws would not be allowed anymore. This opens up interesting opportunities.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Booked an AY ticket via Expedia.

Noticed that the fare basis for outbound and inbound is different and am a bit confused. Outbound DBU2TH doesn't seem to mention any cancellation penalty but inbound IFLEXC says cancellation before departure is 50%. Which cancellation term would apply then in the event I need to change the date or cancel?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:14 am

IMO the more restrictive rules apply to the whole ticket.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:37 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
IMO the more restrictive rules apply to the whole ticket.
Indeed it does, I booked the same D/I mix via expedia (as finnair.com refused to sell JFK-SFO in J) and asked about it when changed the date.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:07 am
Moderator, Finnair

Am I remembering wrong, or did we recently have a thread where it was discussed that in and outbound could have their own rules?
(The reason I remember it is because I always thought "most restrictive applies to whole ticket" but someone said the most restrictive rule only applied to outbound and homebound separately)
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:41 am

I assume that if you want to make changes, then separate rules could apply for inbound and outbound. But if you want to cancel the whole thing, then it's logical that the most restrictive rule applies to the whole ticket. Only an assumption, though.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by intuition
Am I remembering wrong, or did we recently have a thread where it was discussed that in and outbound could have their own rules?
(The reason I remember it is because I always thought "most restrictive applies to whole ticket" but someone said the most restrictive rule only applied to outbound and homebound separately)
Yes, when changing tickets. Regarding cancellation/refund it's the most restrictive rule that applies.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:36 am
Moderator, Finnair

Ah, of course. Makes sense, my recollection was for a different scenario

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.