Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by kanamurva
You can queue for an upgrade too.
How to queue to 5000 points upgrades?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
How to queue to 5000 points upgrades?
Call customer support and ask them to waitlist you for the upgrade. Your points will be deducted instantly and refunded of the waitlist doesnt clear. It can take a while to clear, can even clear at the checkin desk. So be prepared to wait until the very day your flight departs. Alternatively you can use the chat functionality on Finnair website
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Reduced upgrade prices not available for CS upgrades and waitlist (generally) not allowed for Basic members.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
Yep, was talking about normal price. Didn't know, queing was not possible for basic member tho!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by lkrt
Reduced upgrade prices not available for CS upgrades and waitlist (generally) not allowed for Basic members.
Yes I think I read on another thread that the points offer is only valid if I upgrade directly on the online platform. I guess I just have to check back often and hope some availability opens up in the next 4 weeks (14th February) .
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: Finnair Plat, *A Gold
First time poster the forum though I've read the forum actively for many years.

Moved (back) to Helsinki after several years in London about 2 years ago. Continued to use my BA loyalty program as I was OWS. Currently flying 95% AY, but points go to BA. This has been quite frustrating as I can't use vouchers or points upgrades on AY flights. Tried to call Finnair but of course they won't status match on OW programs (has anyone been able to do this?).

Question: is there a way to quickly get back to OWS/AY Gold status? Or do I need to bite the bullet and start using my AY card on my flights and lose all my perks for a while (6-9 months?)

I fly mostly Nordic/European flights (30-50 R/T a year) with about 2-3 LH flights per year in economy.

Thanks for any help!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by Exxxon
First time poster the forum though I've read the forum actively for many years.

Moved (back) to Helsinki after several years in London about 2 years ago. Continued to use my BA loyalty program as I was OWS. Currently flying 95% AY, but points go to BA. This has been quite frustrating as I can't use vouchers or points upgrades on AY flights. Tried to call Finnair but of course they won't status match on OW programs (has anyone been able to do this?).

Question: is there a way to quickly get back to OWS/AY Gold status? Or do I need to bite the bullet and start using my AY card on my flights and lose all my perks for a while (6-9 months?)

I fly mostly Nordic/European flights (30-50 R/T a year) with about 2-3 LH flights per year in economy.

Thanks for any help!
Welcome to the forum! A couple of thoughts:

It should at least in theory be possible to use the OWS status for lounge entry etc. while still collecting the points for AY Plus program by showing the card at lounge entrance. This is in the long-run somewhat tedious, though, and will AFAIK not give you additional baggage or discounts in seat reservation.

A classic mileage run would therefore be an option as well for quick status. Finnair now sells AY coded flights to for example Hawaii and one can get close to enough points for Gold status from one trip to HNL in business for ~2000€. Not a bad place to spend a couple of days either! Converting award points to remaining status points can then give you the remaining few thousand.

Btw with 30-50 R/Ts a year you could pretty comfortably achieve AY Plat by segments which is an nice added bonus from changing from BA to AY!
Exxxon likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBS
Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes for status to upgrade once you meet the requirements?

I was offered a status challenge to get AY+ Silver after one AY flight - I took two a week ago, but still no silver card!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Chokkoubin
Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes for status to upgrade once you meet the requirements?

I was offered a status challenge to get AY+ Silver after one AY flight - I took two a week ago, but still no silver card!
Are the flights already credited to your account? Do you refer to the physical silver card or to your AY+ status?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBS
Sorry, to be clear: the flights credited to my account after two days, but my status still hasn’t been upgraded.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Chokkoubin
Sorry, to be clear: the flights credited to my account after two days, but my status still hasn’t been upgraded.
In this case I would try the chat first.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I have a question about the Family&Friends group concerning transferring points. In the FAQ it states that "You can transfer award points to all non-Junior members in the group" and similarly in the section about transfers to non-group members it states "Please note that points cannot be transferred to Junior members."

What about transfers from Junior members to adults? Can those be done within the Family&Friends group?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:39 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Before the introduction of F&F there was a rule against juniors transferring points online - it had to be done over the phone.

It looks like this rule still is in place?

-- Added
The rule is in place if you try to use the transfer under "Manage my points". If you go to the F&F tab in the account, it seems like Junior can move points to other members.
Maybe give it a try? You won't be able to move them back though.

Last edited by intuition; Jan 24, 2019 at 2:53 pm
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:50 pm

I don’t see why it shouldn‘t work. We transferred all points from Junior accounts to regular ones just before F&F was introduced.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Looking at economy flights between YYC and LHR and noticed that you can get finnair coded flights on the direct BA service for slightly more.

The fare options are light, standard, and flexible. Is standard the equivalent of value? Fare basis seems to be “SKX3C2M5” and I don’t see a “VA” or “LI” anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.