Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, LH, Accor, IHG, Scandic, Tallink
Originally Posted by Teppo
I had that situation, too. Due to the waitlisted upgrade, I couldn't use OLCI and had to go to the counter. The upgrade cleared there.
Thanks for sharing this experience. I can't use the OLCI either. The Finnair App tells me to go to the desk. Well... let's see what happens there.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
I can’t check-in online for my HEL-LHR tomorrow. No upgrades etc, normal AY ticket. I will of course ask CS as well, just curious if there are any good guesses here?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by niksal
I can’t check-in online for my HEL-LHR tomorrow. No upgrades etc, normal AY ticket. I will of course ask CS as well, just curious if there are any good guesses here?

Passport data or validity?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Shouldn't be the case.
I used the chat. It took them 10 minutes to fix the issue, but now it works. Never got a cause what was wrong.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Hi, I have a question about baggage prices for Finnair and am hoping someone can help me figure this out:
https://www.finnair.com/us/gb/flight...al-travel-fees

So I'm planning on buying an economy light ticket, and value is 40 euros more expensive. According to the website, I can't figure out if that I buy a bag online before departure, is the cost 15 euros or 55 euros? Much appreciated!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by ms101
Hi, I have a question about baggage prices for Finnair and am hoping someone can help me figure this out:
https://www.finnair.com/us/gb/flight...al-travel-fees

So I'm planning on buying an economy light ticket, and value is 40 euros more expensive. According to the website, I can't figure out if that I buy a bag online before departure, is the cost 15 euros or 55 euros? Much appreciated!
Where are you headed? That determines the price.

Your QR Gold gets you a bag anyway
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Where are you headed? That determines the price.

Your QR Gold gets you a bag anyway
flying from helsinki to ivalo. Does status apply if i'm buying the most basic hand baggage only fare though?

I'm flying with some people who don't have status so I'm asking for them too.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
flying from helsinki to ivalo. Does status apply if i'm buying the most basic hand baggage only fare though?

I'm flying with some people who don't have status so I'm asking for them too.
AY HBO fares still include checked baggage for status customers. But this benefit is personal, so people who don't have status won't have any checked baggage allowance on HBO fares no matter what your status is.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jainzar
AY HBO fares still include checked baggage for status customers. But this benefit is personal, so people who don't have status won't have any checked baggage allowance on HBO fares no matter what your status is.
so will the baggage charge be 15 euros or 55 euros? i'm not sure which is the charge that applies for a non-status HBO fare.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: QR Gold AY Plat
so will the baggage charge be 15 euros or 55 euros? i'm not sure which is the charge that applies for a non-status HBO fare.
It's 15 eur as per the table.
The 55 aur is a charge for a Heavy Bag, payable only at the airport. A Heavy Bag is one which is over 23 Kgs, or over the specified max size.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by flymetoHEL
It's 15 eur as per the table.
The 55 aur is a charge for a Heavy Bag, payable only at the airport. A Heavy Bag is one which is over 23 Kgs, or over the specified max size.
The overweight fee (up to 32kg, the max allowed for checked luggage) is waived for AY Gold/Plat, not sure about OWS/OWE. A little known, but potentially very valuable perk.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
The overweight fee (up to 32kg, the max allowed for checked luggage) is waived for AY Gold/Plat, not sure about OWS/OWE. A little known, but potentially very valuable perk.
Only Plat/OWE
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:47 am

Thank you so much for the help, much appreciated! <3
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Hi everyone,

I'm quite new to all this frequent flyer stuff but I reached Plat at AY recently and would like to use my upgrade vouchers before they expire.

So my idea is to book a return reward flight from HAM via HEL to BKK. Sadly I can't find any availability... only with BA but that would cost rediculous 170k Points.. So plan B is to find a cheap flight and just partly use my points for payment.

Here are my questions for that:
  • can i book the lowest (campaign) fare and still use the vouchers to upgrade to business?
  • can I even upgrade that tickets using my vouchers? Because I read something that Money+Points tickets are not upgradable.
  • Is an upgrade with vouchers guaranteed? Or will I be put on some waitlist?
  • Is every flight upgradable with vouchers?
  • Why even bother to use that stupid finnair tool to find a reward flight which are soo f****** rare when I can also use my Points to pay for every other flight and the amount of € I have to pay is more or less the same in both cases?

Haha sorry for my newby questions but i guess that's what this thread is for

Cheers!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by Jaken
Hi everyone,

I'm quite new to all this frequent flyer stuff but I reached Plat at AY recently and would like to use my upgrade vouchers before they expire.

So my idea is to book a return reward flight from HAM via HEL to BKK. Sadly I can't find any availability... only with BA but that would cost rediculous 170k Points.. So plan B is to find a cheap flight and just partly use my points for payment.

Here are my questions for that:
  • can i book the lowest (campaign) fare and still use the vouchers to upgrade to business?
  • can I even upgrade that tickets using my vouchers? Because I read something that Money+Points tickets are not upgradable.
  • Is an upgrade with vouchers guaranteed? Or will I be put on some waitlist?
  • Is every flight upgradable with vouchers?
  • Why even bother to use that stupid finnair tool to find a reward flight which are soo f****** rare when I can also use my Points to pay for every other flight and the amount of € I have to pay is more or less the same in both cases?
Haha sorry for my newby questions but i guess that's what this thread is for

Cheers!
1. Yes you can. One of the best aspect of the AY program is that you can upgrade even the cheapest economy bookings.
2. You can upgrade any cash tickets as well as normal redemptions. But don't use points to pay for a part of your flight.
3. Not guaranteed. Nowadays there's very little straight availability, so in practice most of the requests have to clear waitlists. As AY Plat you probably shouldn't worry too much about that.
4. Yes, except maybe those combinations of cash+points (someone more knowledgeable may confirm this)
5. IMO, You should absolutely NEVER use points as a method of co-payment (i.e. points + money). Just booked a flight and had a bit of fun to see what AY values those points at: I could've used 400k points and gotten less than 900€ off the ticket price. For that, I can redeem 2.5 roundtrips in J. You can also waitlist for awards.

Welcome to the AY forum!
Jaken likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.