Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by EuroFlash

just wondering why people use Finnair instead of their own country’s airline

Why Finns choose SK or LH....better connections, corporate rules, loyalty program, pricing, hate AY etc

Like Swedes, SK has poor connections to Asia (serving only 4 cities and all exCPH) so AY with smooth connection via HEL is a natural choice.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: JMB
Next month I have a flight to FRA-HEL-KIX with FRA-HEL in Y and HEL-KIX in C. Got a mail yesterday stating I can use priority check-in / baggage drop and priority sec. check in FRA though being only Y for the SH. Lounge access was not mentioned (only referred to "check the boarding pass"). My assumption was that I can't access the lounge in FRA (only in HEL) but since I can use the priority CI and sec., I'm unsure. Anyone knows how Finnair will handle this?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:03 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

just wondering why people use Finnair instead of their own country’s airline

Long story (that I might publish someday) but in short coincidences and after that fitting schedules/interesting destinations.
Back then I do remember I appreciated their language skills and ability to make me "feel at home", so to a certain degree there was an element of "home carrier" despite not being my flag carrier.

All that is long gone, and Finnair is not more home to me than many other airlines. AY feels pretty much like China Southern only with newer equipment. They are airlines that fly places I want to go, at sometimes attractive prices and with decent food/service in J.

The destination/schedule argument have weakened over time too. Destinations have not developed positively for me, and pricing strategies/failed partnerships have killed off favourite AY-destinations like Japan and Australasia.

I think Finns might feel closer to Finnair than other citizens do to their flag carrier. I don't think I ever saw SK as "my" airline which I ought to prefer.
My current relationship with SK is that they are convenient but craptastic on shorthaul - I wouldn't dream of prioritising them over alternatives unless price and/or star alliance perks motivates me. On longhaul, a bit different. The J product is great but too few destinations and massively overpriced disqualifies them.
cistavoda likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Originally Posted by Seyan
Anyone knows how Finnair will handle this?
Per Oneworld rules, connecting to long haul J from/to short haul Y grants you lounge access. Your Y boarding pass should indicate this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: JMB
Originally Posted by temppa
Per Oneworld rules, connecting to long haul J from/to short haul Y grants you lounge access. Your Y boarding pass should indicate this.
That would be great as I will have three hours time at Frankfurt airport until the flight departs
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
Who here is a Finnair FF, and does actually not live in Finland? Just wondering about their stories..
Does a Finn living abroad count? I do have some home bias naturally, but I fly to Asia a few times a year and AY J provides great value for money. Plus I can have a stopover at "home" on the way.
LoungeEnthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Who here is a Finnair FF, and does actually not live in Finland? Just wondering about their stories..
AY flies to many secondary airports in Europe that has no/few direct flights (to Asia) - those pax have many options, but all are with connections. HEL is easy to conect, AY has usually very good prices ex-EU and no backtracking for eastbound travel. At the Asian end they have many CN destinations, some are weakly served from Europe. If you do it regularly, it's worth to sign up for AY instead of BA or IB.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
I am Finnish but currently based in Denmark. Using Finnair too little these days. Maybe one year of Plat still ahead and then I lose the top tiers unless I move somewhere else where OneWorld provides best all-round connections.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by BlueNordicSky
Does a Finn living abroad count? I do have some home bias naturally, but I fly to Asia a few times a year and AY J provides great value for money. Plus I can have a stopover at "home" on the way.
I’m in the same situation and I normally have the same approach.

But next week, while visiting Finland, I’ll be taking advantage of the past great QR offer HEL-HKT rt in J. (Of course they swapped 787 to A330 some time ago on HEL-DOH, but otherwise looking forward). Other forthcoming l/h trips are still on AY.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LoungeEnthusiast

I’m in the same situation and I normally have the same approach.

But next week, while visiting Finland, I’ll be taking advantage of the past great QR offer HEL-HKT rt in J. (Of course they swapped 787 to A330 some time ago on HEL-DOH, but otherwise looking forward). Other forthcoming l/h trips are still on AY.
As much as the QR product is nice and it's possible to find great deals, I wouldn't want to fly with them again to Asia. The rhythm is what kills me. Going to BKK was not fun with 6 + 3 + 6 hours. 6 hours on a plane is in the iffy spot for me of being long enough to get bored, but also not long enough to be able to full enjoy it and rest. And there was the 3 hour layover in DOH in the middle of the night. I'll take my 3 + 10 hours with AY anytime over that.
ffay005 and FFlash like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I can think of several reasons:
  • Family or national ties to Finland,
  • Business need to go to Finland,
  • Business need to go from secondary EU airport to Asia with convenient AY connections and no direct flights.

I know several FF who have status with an airline that is not even based on the same continent (though not it is not AY).
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold
I live in Germany. Got my status mostly by flying privately on AA code. Game might be over but I do my best to get those 80k points again for next year. Never give up, challenge accepted!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
I live in Australia
I have AY status because I was with AY before I moved. I have considered switching to QF, but I probably wouldn't benefit much as a Y flyer and QF has a convulated and stingy system of Status Credits etc.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat
AY fare class K on a "standard" ticket to North America: 50% or 100% points?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:18 am

100% points
HELboy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.