Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by casper79
I did it at an outstation. But then I was AY operated and AY marketed flight and we went to the contract lounge. I think it is important it should be the Finnair contract lounge (and not a random OneWorld lounge)
Thanks. My interpretation from that link is that it should work on all AY lounges around the world (not OW lounges) if your ticket is on AY code and operated by OW. However, tried to ask with the CS and got the reply that it only applies to Helsinki lounges. Maybe I have to print this page and show to the lounge agents at outstations.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by casper79
I did it at an outstation. But then I was AY operated and AY marketed flight and we went to the contract lounge. I think it is important it should be the Finnair contract lounge (and not a random OneWorld lounge)
I think it's not guaranteed even in that case. I recall reading an AY statement that this policy applies to AY's own lounges at HEL only.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:52 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by lento
Thanks. My interpretation from that link is that it should work on all AY lounges around the world (not OW lounges) if your ticket is on AY code and operated by OW. However, tried to ask with the CS and got the reply that it only applies to Helsinki lounges. Maybe I have to print this page and show to the lounge agents at outstations.
I agree the text reads it should apply at all lounges, but I don't think they really mean that. IAll extra perks outside OW rules applies at HEL only.

As for doing it at OW lounges, asking nicely is always an option. I've done it a few times at CX the wing first HKG. Allowed (at least) twice with remark "not really allowed, but we will make an exception for you today" and denied once (and then I guested one child, the other traveller in the pack went to AY contract lounge based on invite)
lento likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: AY+ Silver
Originally Posted by muhv
I landed 13 days ago back to AY+ Silver level.

So when I booked my TLL-NRT QR economy flight yesterday I was pleasantly surprised that OW Ruby status gives me access to Business Lounge in Doha airport. Interestingly enough OW page states clearly that only OWS and OWE have access to that lounge.
Nevermind. Couple of days later it doesn't show any more that I have free access to Business Lounge in Doha. It looks like that my OW status drop was finally synced with their database.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by CeruleanBlue
I tried the Lumo drink the other day, with Koskenkorva Juniper vodka and tonic. It was an interesting experience. Couldn't decide if it tasted good or like toilet refreshener (smell, never tasted it of course!). Business class also has calvados and some kind of herbal liqueur, not sure what.
Had it too for the first time. The mix was very, well interesting, indeed with all the lemon, blueberry and juniper. Didn't go very well together imo.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by intuition
This is called married segments, and is an antic used by airlines to limit access to certain fares in certain markets. For some strange reason, Finnair applies this to award and upgrade availability too.

Sometimes CS overrides the restriction, but the tool can't book.

-- In this case it seems they wanted to separate Helsingfors from Ĺbo which is one of the oddest market splits I've heard of.
In my case I was put on queue for the flights and told they would call back to me next day whether it cleared or not to handle the taxes if possible. Next day they called and confirmed the ticket.

Can it be that they try to limit award availability to other OW programs? I did few dummy searches to summer to few destinations and see more availability when starting from TKU or KUO for example vs. HEL. Think AY is the only one where they allow domestic segments for "free" on awards.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
@Furry

something is married there, since the "domestic leg" syndrom with awards is there and has been there for some time. If you want to be sure you want your award from TKU, then you need to search segments separately.
The good thing is that sometimes you can play around for your "benefit" too. E.g. take HEL-BCN and the booking engine will only show you some stupid OW awards on BA routing through LHR and not a single ticket on direct AY. But if you add a domestic leg there, it will propose DOMESTIC-HEL-BCN all on AY. Oh well.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Regarding mileage transfers between family members, can you move miles from kids' accounts to one of the parents?

Right now those miles are sitting comfortably on the kids' accounts with no expiry date, but it looks like our next move will put us in a position where we'll be relying on other carriers for several years, and who knows what various "enchancements" and mileage devaluations will do to those miles over the years.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:23 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yes you can AFAIK. You can also redeem without moving points. You need to call in.

BTW, haven't seen your posts in awhile, hope everything is fine!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:22 am

If there's no award space on a certain flight can you waitlist a flight award? Do they usually clear?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Yes you can AFAIK. You can also redeem without moving points. You need to call in.
Ah ok, so it's possible to redeem an adult upgrade from a child's Plus account?

Just to double-check after the recent changes to mileage expiration - do kids' accounts still have no expiry on miles or have things changed?

BTW, haven't seen your posts in awhile, hope everything is fine!
All good, thanks! I've got miles scattered all over the place so it's time to finally start cashing them in before they all expire!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by lkrt
If there's no award space on a certain flight can you waitlist a flight award? Do they usually clear?
Yes you can. In my case they promised to call me back the next day on the result and so they did.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Furry
Yes you can. In my case they promised to call me back the next day on the result and so they did.
Yes, I just called in too but it looks to be a really busy flight so not really having any high hopes. Did yours clear?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by lkrt
Always when I call the call center there either is no award space whatsoever or everything is wide open. If the former, then it has always cleared within a week. Never have I failed to book one due to lack of space.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:02 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by aster
Ah ok, so it's possible to redeem an adult upgrade from a child's Plus account?

Just to double-check after the recent changes to mileage expiration - do kids' accounts still have no expiry on miles or have things changed?
I can't remember if I was redeeming kid->adult or adult->kid but I asked to transfer and the operator said "no need, I will debit the other account directly"

AFAIK, junior accounts still have no expiry during 2-18 y.o. Upon turning 18, junior will be "member" and the new expiry rule ("18 month since last activity") will kick in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.