Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Clydez
2for1
<rant>
Another useless perk for an all-solo traveler on top of the give away gold card and discounted family upgrades with points...
</rant>
ffay005, remymartin, lkrt and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:10 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Unsub
<rant>
Another useless perk for an all-solo traveler on top of the give away gold card and discounted family upgrades with points...
</rant>
I do hear what you say.

I'd just like to say I think AY+ is good in this way that they make one single instrument quite flexible. Instead of just saying "an upgrade-voucer is an upgrade-voucer" each person can customise it to the needs. Upgrade shorthaul OR convert and upgrade longhaul OR convert and redeem 241. I think that shows they had pretty good ingenuity back when those vouchers came about. So the voucher covers all from solo to non-solo, shorthaul to longhaul, upgrader to redeemer.

This is only a good thing and I hope they keep this concept. I've never redeemed a 2-4-1 and absolutely no plan to, but I appreciate the option. We can certainly hope for more ways to redeem and greater value, but those that exist aren't bad.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:24 pm
R2

Originally Posted by FFlash
Are you sure, have you tested? I am 200% sure that this applied in the past only for EU flights, and it was mentioned at Finnair Plus pages, but now I went in to double-check and found this :

or a two-for-the-price-of-one Classic award flights in Economy Class. With this you can purchase award flights for two people from the Finnair Plus service centre but pay the point cost of an award flight for one person. Two-for-one Classic awards are only available for scheduled one-way and return flights operated by Finnair or Norra and must be purchased using points only.

i.e. it does not say anything about EU or longhaul flights. Now this benefit suddenly became very interesting for me.
Yes, I have used this several times for long-haul flight redemptions, most recently a couple of weeks ago.

As I wrote in another thread, the best value route seems to be HKG-HEL.

Exorbitant surcharges on award tickets

Originally Posted by R2
A related thing that came up in another thread earlier: one can use the four SH upgrade vouchers for a 2 for 1 LH economy award. So what I just booked is HKG-HEL-HKG for two pax for the price of 4 SH vouchers, 125k points and €96 in charges. As these are flexible tickets with one year validity, this is good value to me.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: 1K
I am flying on AY010 in business cabin and connect to AY1173 (operated by Norra), which is an economy-cabin only flight (on a purchased AY ticket). I have no status. Will I have lounge access in HEL during the layover?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by havall
I am flying on AY010 in business cabin and connect to AY1173 (operated by Norra), which is an economy-cabin only flight (on a purchased AY ticket). I have no status. Will I have lounge access in HEL during the layover?
Yes. Show the dragon both BPs.

The rules: https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD
Background: I'm AA Gold (OW Ruby), my wife has no AA status. We have a Finnair flight from RVN to HEL on a Saturday evening before our Sunday HEL-LHR-DFW flights. The RVN-HEL is a separate ticket. Flight leaves at 18:10 from RVN

Question: What standby options do I have on the RVN-HEL flight? Based upon our schedule, we might be at the RVN airport in time for the 14:00 flight. I've never flow Finnair before, can I do standby?

thanks
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Illini_Fan
Question: What standby options do I have on the RVN-HEL flight? Based upon our schedule, we might be at the RVN airport in time for the 14:00 flight. I've never flow Finnair before, can I do standby?
None. Finnair doesn't do same-day standby.
Illini_Fan likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: BMI Diamon Club
Can I check in, choose a seat and then purchase economy comfort later on?

I flew back from Japan with AY last year. Economy Comfort was a decent price, and when I ended up getting 4 seats to myself (essentially a bed) it turned out to be my greatest travel investment of all time.

I'm flying to BKK on sunday. I'm hoping I can go in later and find a bunch of free seats again. Can I check in 24 hours before departure, choose a regular seat...then go back and purchase economy comfort closer to take off?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by galego
Can I check in, choose a seat and then purchase economy comfort later on?

I flew back from Japan with AY last year. Economy Comfort was a decent price, and when I ended up getting 4 seats to myself (essentially a bed) it turned out to be my greatest travel investment of all time.

I'm flying to BKK on sunday. I'm hoping I can go in later and find a bunch of free seats again. Can I check in 24 hours before departure, choose a regular seat...then go back and purchase economy comfort closer to take off?
Don't expect to get free row to yourself on BKK flights, those are overpacked in Y, so you may actually get an opup if you have platinum card. Reports say "jingle bells" ring very often on that route.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
AY lounge access in GOI?

Im flying on the AY124 Goa to Helsinki on Monday morning just wandering if AY has an agreement with the lounge in GOI. Im in business and am OW emerald. Be nice to grab a coffee and a decent seat that early!
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: BMI Diamon Club
Originally Posted by FFlash
Don't expect to get free row to yourself on BKK flights, those are overpacked in Y, so you may actually get an opup if you have platinum card. Reports say "jingle bells" ring very often on that route.
Thanks for the tip :/. No platinum here, a lowly BA Bronze

cant see any upgrades for me, but someone else may get one and ruin my 'bed'
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:41 am

I booked by HEL-RVN-HEL via the Chase Sapphire Ultimate Rewards travel site. I'm fearful that I mistakenly booked an Economy Light and not an Economy Value. How do I tell?

thanks
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Originally Posted by Illini_Fan
I mistakenly booked an Economy Light and not an Economy Value. How do I tell?
1. Order Eticket recipt: https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/e-ticket
2. Check if the fare code has "LI" for example "RHLI2FI", this is light ticket. Value ticket has "VA" like "ZHVA2FI" pro has "PR" like "HPR2FI"
3. First letter of the fare tells the fare bucket, R,Z,H in my examples
4. "FI" tells the fare originates from Finland
5. "2" indicates return ticket
Illini_Fan likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by temppa
1. Order Eticket recipt: https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/e-ticket
2. Check if the fare code has "LI" for example "RHLI2FI", this is light ticket. Value ticket has "VA" like "ZHVA2FI" pro has "PR" like "HPR2FI"
3. First letter of the fare tells the fare bucket, R,Z,H in my examples
4. "FI" tells the fare originates from Finland
5. "2" indicates return ticket
Thanks does RHBA2FI look correct as a fare code? It is listed as Fare Basis on the receipt they just sent me. That is the outbound

The return shows as QHBA2FI
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:09 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
BA = "Basic" ticket type

I think this one reads:
R - booking class
H - High season
BA - basic ticket type
2 - return
FI - market Finland

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.