Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
It should be 4500+4500 (two segments) x2 (return) x 2 (people) = 36000 Avios. Do note that you may need to call in for domestic flights, as they may note be available on BA.com.

You may also want to compare cash rates, as BA leverage a hefty surcharge for Finnair-issued redemption tickets - sometimes you may end up paying more copay than a cash ticket would cost altogether.
Excellent, thank you!

is checking on BA the best way to look for award availability (in this case?)
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by purdue1015
Excellent, thank you!

is checking on BA the best way to look for award availability (in this case?)
It says no availability for the dates I need. Am I SOL or is there a chance award availability could open up?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by purdue1015
It says no availability for the dates I need. Am I SOL or is there a chance award availability could open up?
you may want to call if the given flights say "operated by NoRRA"
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Hi, guys

I alreaday have one ticket from HEL to HKG( AY101, 1700-0840)
Now Im thinking to get a reward ticket from DUS to HEL in the same day (AY1392, 1145-1510)

Does AY interline my luggage (AY-AY) to final destination, HKG when I checkin in DUS?
If not, 1h50m transit time would be tight to collect my luggage and then checkin again..
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Originally Posted by wyskevin
I alreaday have one ticket from HEL to HKG( AY101, 1700-0840)
Now Im thinking to get a reward ticket from DUS to HEL in the same day (AY1392, 1145-1510)
Through check-in works for AY-AY on separate tickets:

https://www.finnair.com/pl/AYPortal/...E=GB&PAGE=ACTC

In addition to the basic rule Finnair will allow through check-in of customer and baggage with separate tickets on separate PNRs on AY–AY (including AY franchising flights operated by Norra) connections when the transfer is within the Minimum Connection Time (MCT). For AY–AY connection flights on the separate PNRs have to be both marketed and operated by Finnair or Norra and flights ticketed on the 105-stock. The agent shall always inform the customer of the destination where the customer and his or her baggage are checked-in to.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by temppa

In addition to the basic rule Finnair will allow through check-in of customer and baggage with separate tickets on separate PNRs on AY–AY (including AY franchising flights operated by Norra) connections when the transfer is within the Minimum Connection Time (MCT). For AY–AY connection flights on the separate PNRs have to be both marketed and operated by Finnair or Norra and flights ticketed on the 105-stock. The agent shall always inform the customer of the destination where the customer and his or her baggage are checked-in to.
Thank you for your reply. However, I plan to redeem Avios to get the AY tk so it will be 125-, sigh....

There is also one morning flight from Berlin to HEL by AB in order to catch my connected flight to HKG. But, considerating the stiuation of AB, it seems not smart to fly with them in the future...
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Thank you for your reply. However, I plan to redeem Avios to get the AY tk so it will be 125-, sigh....

There is also one morning flight from Berlin to HEL by AB in order to catch my connected flight to HKG. But, considerating the stiuation of AB, it seems not smart to fly with them in the future...
I don't think stock matters - what matters is that the marketing ("sold as AYxxx") and operating carrier is AY.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Does AY interline my luggage (AY-AY) to final destination, HKG when I checkin in DUS?
If not, 1h50m transit time would be tight to collect my luggage and then checkin again..
Even if you weren't able to get your luggage checked through to final destination, 1h50mins transfer time should be enough if your arriving flight is on time, even on afternoon rush hours.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
Even if you weren't able to get your luggage checked through to final destination, 1h50mins transfer time should be enough if your arriving flight is on time, even on afternoon rush hours.
Oh, really? According to AY website information, Europe to Asia checkin time should be one hour prior to departure. It leaves me only 50mins to collect my lugagge.

It is likely AY 1392 will be on time (DUS-HEL, 1145-1510), because AY1391 turn-around time in DUS is 2h30m (HEL-DUS, 0740-0905). It's pretty unusual for an intra-Europe flight, isnt it?

I understand the best way to secure my connection should be arrive in HEL one day earileer. However, my trip takes place in Feb when it is very cold... That's why I try to avoid staying in HEL and do same day connection..
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Oh, really? According to AY website information, Europe to Asia checkin time should be one hour prior to departure. It leaves me only 50mins to collect my lugagge.
In normal case 50mins should be enough, even during afternoon rush hours. In my experience it is very exceptional if you don't have your luggage within 30mins after arrival of your flight. Of course no one can guarantee that and there is a risk, though not very big, of not making it in time.

It is likely AY 1392 will be on time (DUS-HEL, 1145-1510), because AY1391 turn-around time in DUS is 2h30m (HEL-DUS, 0740-0905). It's pretty unusual for an intra-Europe flight, isnt it?
Prob that is due to making a short connection from early-morning Asian arrivals as well as getting business travellers to DUS early enough for the day, and the return leg to connect well to Asian afternoon departures. DUS is not the only such case.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold
I will Face a new situation this week where the last leg this ititinary OSL-HEL-ZRH- HEL-OSL will be left unused.

It's a value ticket so is there a possibility for a partial refund? Shall I cancel the ticket or just do nothing?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
AFAIK, you can't cancel a ticket after you've used the first leg.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:14 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
"Value" is the new playground for revenue hunters. There is no one definition of rules for this ticket type, you need to check your individual rules. Different routes, POS and point in time all influence the rules for a value ticket. There might be a 120-150€ fee making it pointless to cancel.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: QFF WP/OWE
Two rather obscure questions after booking my first AY flights.

I've currently got 10F booked on an A321 and I just wanted to confirm it has a window? There's no seat in front because of the emergency exit door, but I just wanted to make sure that the window just behind the door is mine (I'm planning on filming/reviewing the flight).

My second flight is HEL-HKG (1645-0725) and I'm keen to capture the sunset and sunrise. Should I sit on the left or right side? I'm thinking the left as it'll get the sunrise in the morning too?

Many thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by PaulST
Two rather obscure questions after booking my first AY flights.

I've currently got 10F booked on an A321 and I just wanted to confirm it has a window? There's no seat in front because of the emergency exit door, but I just wanted to make sure that the window just behind the door is mine (I'm planning on filming/reviewing the flight).
I guess it's 32B(321-231) ? If so, then 10F has window.

If 321(321-211) then 10F is not an exit row.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.