Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Abducted Alien
Award return flight does not count to flight segments towards status; that is AY+ silver in my case. If I cancel that and buy a fare, I´d be silver in August. Is it worth to get AY+ silver? Seems that there in no use for me for to get a 50% discount from advance seat reservations and I would not fly enough for gold in this year.
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Without knowing your travels and flights I would go for that:

-Priority Check In -desks
-Priority security in HEL. That is something I miss when flying Norwegian (no status).
-Extra bag (from Bangkok)
And if you have plans to get Gold next year you will get 10% more tier points as Silver, minor advantage but otherwise you will start from scratch.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:42 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
-Priority security in HEL. That is something I miss when flying Norwegian (no status).
Originally Posted by Abducted Alien
Thank you. One year back from this day I did 36 segments: 18 flight segments with Norwegian, 4 Finnair, 12 SAS and one return long haul with SK. ...
With 18 DY/D8 segments a year, you will have priority security at HEL and extra bag on Norwegian for free, if you use their loyalty program. (And for OH-LGG and other casual D8 flyers it is possible to purchase prio security and it isn't very expensive)
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:15 pm

Hi,

Travelling JFK - HEL soon with AY. I won't have much time in JFK between arriving and flight. Is there priority security in T8? Can I use AA flagship check in?

thanks
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
You can not use the Flagship check-in. Finnair has it's own. If you have business class or status you can use the business class check in. Usually that is pretty fast IME.

AS business class or status passenger you can use the priority security. Depending on the time and your luck it can IME take anything from 5min-1h at JFK T8.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: Executive Club (Gold), Marriot Bonvoy (Gold)
Lounge access ARN Norra ticket

Hi everyone,

Quick question - I've got a ARN-HEL in Y coming up later this year - it's a Finnair flight operated by Norra. As a One World Sapphire, will I get access to a lounge at ARN? Wasn't sure if the rules would be different as it's a Norra flight.

Sorry if this gets asked a lot - I did a search but couldn't find the answer.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:54 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yes. Norra is like a contract airline, think of it as Finnair.
(Norra is actually an official oneworld affiliate on these routes)
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: Executive Club (Gold), Marriot Bonvoy (Gold)
Originally Posted by intuition
Yes. Norra is like a contract airline, think of it as Finnair.
(Norra is actually an official oneworld affiliate on these routes)
Great - thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Question Helsinki - earliest time for bag drop for same day flight?

What is the earliest time in the morning for a bag drop for a late afternoon flight that same day? I'm OWE on a business class ticket, if that makes any difference.
I will be staying at the Hilton Vantaa but spending the day in Helsinki and would prefer to ditch the bags at earliest opportunity. Sadly, I arrive too late for the bag drop the previous evening.
Thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by geronimo
What is the earliest time in the morning for a bag drop for a late afternoon flight that same day? I'm OWE on a business class ticket, if that makes any difference.
I will be staying at the Hilton Vantaa but spending the day in Helsinki and would prefer to ditch the bags at earliest opportunity. Sadly, I arrive too late for the bag drop the previous evening.
Thanks.
Really anytime on the same day is fine.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:09 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by geronimo
. Sadly, I arrive too late for the bag drop the previous evening.
Thanks.
I guess the times given for night-before drop is not holy. It is said to be between 18:00 and 21:30, I my assumption is that the reason for "closing" at 21.30 is to minimize interference with the check-in for the midnight departures (HKG, SIN).
So if you like, you could try your luck when-ever you arrive the night before.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
night-before drop ... is said to be between 18:00 and 21:30... So if you like, you could try your luck when-ever you arrive the night before.
I arrive at 00h30 so luck not likely to be on my side
Thanks also to MiamiFlyer8 for the answer re same day.

Last edited by geronimo; Apr 20, 2017 at 5:55 am Reason: .
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
If I get enough tier points to achieve Silver status, do I keep that status until the end of the current tracking period AND throughout the next tracking period?

Or do they reset and change my tracking period as soon as I hit Silver?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aster
If I get enough tier points to achieve Silver status, do I keep that status until the end of the current tracking period AND throughout the next tracking period?
That's correct.
Old May 1, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
That's correct.
Thanks.

Just one more question regarding free drinks in long-haul Y. Does the destination play a role here?

On a recent flight I thought I read something along the lines of wine only being served free with the first meal, with several destinations listed. Does that sound right? So on flights to the US or Mexico they don't serve free wine after the meal, but on flights to Singapore or Tokyo they do?
Old May 1, 2017, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aster
Thanks.

Just one more question regarding free drinks in long-haul Y. Does the destination play a role here?

On a recent flight I thought I read something along the lines of wine only being served free with the first meal, with several destinations listed. Does that sound right? So on flights to the US or Mexico they don't serve free wine after the meal, but on flights to Singapore or Tokyo they do?
The website says the following, so you are indeed correct.

"Flights to China, Japan, South Korea, India and Singapore: soft drinks, juices, water, beer and wine are all served free of charge – other alcoholic beverages are available for purchase.

Flights to North and Central America, Thailand and Vietnam: all our meals include free-of-charge non-alcoholic drinks, beer, and wine. Alcoholic beverages are available for purchase at all other times."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.