Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
I recently moved from HEL to SIN and I'm in a need for 22 000 tier points (+chancing max. award points) before the end of September to keep my AY Plat for another year. I could certainly fly a return to HEL with Value tickets which would put me close enough - but the pricing with AY is just ridiculous. What ever suitable dates I look at, it's always almost double for SIN-HEL-SIN compared to HEL-SIN-HEL roughly in the same time frame. I do have one Value leg booked SIN-HEL for December which I could move and book HEL-SIN-HEL, but do I have any other cost efficient options to score the ~20k tier points from SIN?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
How much does it cost to make weekend trips to Australia on QF or BA? What about SIN-HEL-SIN on QR? Or a cheap ticket to ICN and ICN-HEL-ICN on AY?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by Unsub
What ever suitable dates I look at, it's always almost double for SIN-HEL-SIN compared to HEL-SIN-HEL roughly in the same time frame.
Have you looked at BKK-HEL-BKK? With the overnight flight from BKK you don't have to spend a night there, you can fly SIN-BKK on a late afternoon flight to catch AY 144.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by r2d2
Have you looked at BKK-HEL-BKK? With the overnight flight from BKK you don't have to spend a night there, you can fly SIN-BKK on a late afternoon flight to catch AY 144.

Value BKK-HEL-BKK is around 60.000 THB.

I would check MH site first.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:45 pm
R2

Check the fares for SIN-HEL-XXX (ARN, OSL, TXL, AMS etc)...you'll probably find it cheaper and you get even more points. Usually these fares allow one free stopover in HEL.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Unsub
I recently moved from HEL to SIN and I'm in a need for 22 000 tier points (+chancing max. award points) before the end of September to keep my AY Plat for another year. I could certainly fly a return to HEL with Value tickets which would put me close enough - but the pricing with AY is just ridiculous. What ever suitable dates I look at, it's always almost double for SIN-HEL-SIN compared to HEL-SIN-HEL roughly in the same time frame. I do have one Value leg booked SIN-HEL for December which I could move and book HEL-SIN-HEL, but do I have any other cost efficient options to score the ~20k tier points from SIN?
Jeez, I just moved away from SIN a week ago - we could have done a mini-DO!

Ex-SIN the OW options are limited - I used my time there to renew *G flying SQ, TG, OZ

MH - cheap, even in J, but SIN-KUL is just a short hop. Look at SIN-KUL-somewhere far.
QF - to down under, but C is rather expensive, but not prohibitively
CX - to BKK and to HKG (and points further)
JL - to Japan, got the points potential, but C is expensive
and the obvous BA or AY to Europe. SIN-SYD on BA also an option.
QR - to DOH and points further. They might be a good option in C, at least ex-DE or ex-SE they had good prices.

If flying Y, be very careful with the booking classes, the cheaper ones are often either 0 or 25% earning on AY.

I'd first look at AY, SIN-HEL-BUD/ARN/PRG/WAW, but I have no experience with their ex-Asia pricing. Or do the same ex-BKK with CX feeding on a separate ticket.

Enjoy SIN, it's a great place for being an expat!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by Furry
I have award booking with AY in J. When I booked the flights they were operated by Finnair with Airbus planes. Now it's changed to Norra E90. Can I cancel it free of charge as the operating airline has changed (and possibly no free middle seat on E90)?

And by free of charge I mean that they wouldn't deduct the "50€ cancel fee" from taxes.
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Should work, especially if you are Plat.
No luck: "Norra is a subsidiary of Finnair"..
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:27 am

Could anybody tell me the roughly the extra charges ect for a return Business award flight from London to Las Vegas. They currently have the flight listed at 130000 points.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by Moff1979
Could anybody tell me the roughly the extra charges ect for a return Business award flight from London to Las Vegas. They currently have the flight listed at 130000 points.
LHR-LAS-LHR

215 000 points + 577.91 GBP
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Matmid Gold, TAP Air S* Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Ba gold on finnair

I'll be gold (now silver) by the time I fly finnair in September with myself and five family members on the same itinerary

Do I get extra luggage? Does everyone on my itinerary get extra luggage?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Has anybody else experienced that selected seats become visible in the app a few days before departure now (nope, I did not pay for them... they have been chosen for me and show up now)? Or is it some kind of Finnair Plus (Silver) perk?
I suddenly saw a seat popping up in my Finnair app for my flight of next Friday. And now also for my next Monday flight (in 6 days!). This never happened to me, and according to CS the seats were put in automatically by Finnair systems....
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by tapuach
I'll be gold (now silver) by the time I fly finnair in September with myself and five family members on the same itinerary

Do I get extra luggage? Does everyone on my itinerary get extra luggage?
Yes, even on Light tickets. No.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by EuroFlash
Has anybody else experienced that selected seats become visible in the app a few days before departure now (nope, I did not pay for them... they have been chosen for me and show up now)? Or is it some kind of Finnair Plus (Silver) perk?
I suddenly saw a seat popping up in my Finnair app for my flight of next Friday. And now also for my next Monday flight (in 6 days!). This never happened to me, and according to CS the seats were put in automatically by Finnair systems....
I remember that around 2 years ago seats were assigned to me as Silver at T-48 which I could also change then free of charge. That feature was removed after some time.

So it seems to be a new feature, but we don't know if it is intended or not.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: AY Platinum; TK Elite+; MR Titanium; HH Diamond
Hello everyone, longtime lurker, first-time poster here.

I recently moved from the QR program to AY+ after the whole QR devaluation fiasco. However I had an existing reservation on AA with my QR number in it, BUD-LHR-ORD-DFW-GRU (BUD-LHR was BA operated but sold AA codeshare). Since it is almost impossible to change the FFP number on AA/BA interface these days, I changed my FFP number just before boarding my BUD-LHR flight and received my new boarding passes with an AY+ number on them. However after checking now it looks like BUD-LHR and LHR-ORD were credited to my QR account and ORD-DFW to my AY+ account (DFW-GRU is still pending).

So my question now is who do I contact to rectify this since I would really like to finish my saga with Qatar and is it possible to fix this situation without contacting Qatar at all? My previous 3 encounters with their CR left a really bitter taste and this was before the whole devaluation fiasco...
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by deleter
So my question now is who do I contact to rectify this since I would really like to finish my saga with Qatar and is it possible to fix this situation without contacting Qatar at all? My previous 3 encounters with their CR left a really bitter taste and this was before the whole devaluation fiasco...
Highly unlikely that you will get around involving QR. Since you cannot credit a flight to two FFPs they will need to undo the crediting of your flight first before it can be credited to AY+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.