Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by casper79
I just booked a ticket for myself, mass tourism is already 2 years ago, and tried to book award tickets for my kids. I checked online and there is award availability, but when calling the plat line they had to waitlist.

is the award availability for kids different than for others, or is it platinum availability?
My guess is they do have more availability for Plats. I've repeatedly found award inventory on the AY site, being logged in as Plat, but not on the AA or BA sites for the same flights.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, AF Platinum
Dumb question but I want to be sure to maximize my points earned... if I use a gift voucher from Finnair customer service to pay for part or all of my ticket will I still earn points normally as if I had paid with credit card?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:58 pm

Yes. Tickets paid for by a voucher are normal tickets and earn normal points.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
Flying AY for the first time next month on the LED-HEL-HKG route as an RJ OWE....just for a change from S7/RJ/CX and just would like to ask a few questions;

1) The LED sectors are operated by Norra's ATR72s. Am I right in understanding that everyone gets complimentary hot drinks + blueberry juice+ 1x alcoholic drink as an OWE
2)I managed to get a seat in Economy Comfort (FAQ says that we have to call, but I somehow managed to do in online). I understand it, we get 1-hour free wifi as Economy Comfort pax, but the AY+ Platinums get free wifi for the whole flight. Does this apply to non-AY Emeralds too?
3) Any general recommendations on the seat selection in Y+?

Thanks a lot in advance for your advice!
Thought, I would give some feedback for your answers.

1) The F/A announcement on the LED>HEL sector mentioned that "if you are hungry, you can try our Sky Bistro".... not sure if it's a standard announcement, or if there really was anything on offer. I just asked for a coffee, so perhaps I should try and ask on the return sector.
2)No free wifi (the system said I am not eligible after I entered my seat number and the surname), so I purchased the access for EUR19. The wifi was really slow and did not work 2 out of 9 hours. Not sure if it was a technical issue, or if it's the norm. The wifi on CX A350's works perfectly.
3)I got 25C and it helped that the 2 adjacent seats were open. The Comfort cabin probably had less than 10 pax, in comparison with Y, which was almost full. I think I am going to stick with 25C for the return sector too.

Thanks again Finnair guru's for the help and answers. I will surely write a brief post about AY from a newbie's perspective after I get back from HKG!
SPBanker likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Anyone with experience of SQ interlining the baggage at SIN through to AY if connecting to AY in BKK on 2 separate tickets? I assume that I will still need to collect the boarding passes at BKK but hopefully at the transfer desk without clearing customs because the custom lines can get really long.

AY fares are much lower when originating from BKK. Problem is the only OW carrier that flies SIN-BKK is Cathay and they only have one timing a day. SQ has more timings which fit the AY BKK-HEL 2355hr flight a lot better.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
@Rami Tamimi - if the free wifi will not work on the return, ask the FA for a voucher, no need for paying.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
@Rami Tamimi - if the free wifi will not work on the return, ask the FA for a voucher, no need for paying.
Free wifi is, I believe, a Platsku benefit and not available to OWE.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by ffay005
Free wifi is, I believe, a Platsku benefit and not available to OWE.
You even get it with an Economy Comfort seat. AY is only limiting the free wifi to 1h in that case. And it looked as he did not even get that. Therefore he paid.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Jainzar

You even get it with an Economy Comfort seat. AY is only limiting the free wifi to 1h in that case. And it looked as he did not even get that. Therefore he paid.
To be more precise: 1 hour free wifi is applicable only if you have purchased the Economy Comfort seat, not if you have been moved there during check-in or gate processing.
You will be declined if trying to access wifi and cabin crew will see if you have paid for your seat or not.
Somewhat confusing, indeed but No money = no Wifi
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by ff_flyer
To be more precise: 1 hour free wifi is applicable only if you have purchased the Economy Comfort seat, not if you have been moved there during check-in or gate processing.
You will be declined if trying to access wifi and cabin crew will see if you have paid for your seat or not.
Somewhat confusing, indeed but No money = no Wifi
Seems like this is correct because the complimentary wifi did not work on both sectors (after entering my surname and the seat number). I paid 19EUR on the way out and the FA proactively offered 1-hour code on the way back. PS: Is it the norm for the wifi to be that slow on AY?

Regarding the skybistro on the LED>HEL route. As I was seated in the last row, I saw they had some snacks on the trolley, as well as the mobile POS on the front of the trolley.... so apparently they do have alcohol on this sector?! I did not bother asking on the 10 AM flight.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
This happened to me now twice and I could see the same pattern with a few other passengers.

When flying in AY economy comfort as Platinum with an AA flight number the system does not provide complimentary WiFi with your last name + seat number.

The cabin crew did give a code when I asked for it.

Last edited by Aviating; Jan 21, 2018 at 7:11 am
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by Aviating
This happened to me now twice and I could see the same pattern with a few other passengers.

When flying in AY economy comfort as Platinum with an AA flight number the system does not provide complimentary WiFi with your last name + seat number.

The cabin crew did give a code when I asked for it.
I think simply when flying codeshare flights, the AY system does not recognises your AY status. Had the same issue with CX marketed, AY operated flights... Have already given them feedback back in October, but obviously they haven't managed to fix it.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:59 pm

Again another reason to avoid codeshares.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: AY*PL, TK*ELPL, AF*PL, HH*Diam, MR*Plat
Hi all, quick question regarding upgrade vouchers: I'm 5000 Tier Points away from Plat and still have 3 upgrade vouchers left. Should get Plat by mid-February so I'm wondering what happens to the existing upgrade vouchers: are they "replaced" by the ones I get as Plat, or do they remain in my account in addition to the ones I'm supposed to get as Plat? (That is, of course, assuming that the switch from Gold to Plat actually gets you vouchers.)
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by cerberusbites
Hi all, quick question regarding upgrade vouchers: I'm 5000 Tier Points away from Plat and still have 3 upgrade vouchers left. Should get Plat by mid-February so I'm wondering what happens to the existing upgrade vouchers: are they "replaced" by the ones I get as Plat, or do they remain in my account in addition to the ones I'm supposed to get as Plat? (That is, of course, assuming that the switch from Gold to Plat actually gets you vouchers.)
This is actually a good question. If one is already Plat, there is no worry to "consume" the vouchers before re-hitting plat, but what about someone who is already Gold? Or was it so that (back in years you got "double-full-pot") once you have gotten the 4 SH vouchers as Gold, hitting then Plat will just give you 2 LH vouchers (and you keep the 4 SH valid still) and that's it until your new period kicks in and you get the 4SH+2LH plat vouchers for the new period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.