Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Does AY have a manned transfer desk at HKG? Because the check-in desk won't be open until ~T-3h.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:57 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
At least, HKG is one of the best places you can be without a BoardinPass.
Transfer desk can quickly get you one and can also intercept bags and retag them if there was a failure to get them tagged to final destination. And if OP heds to the city, boardingpasses can be collected at Central or Kowlon at any time.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:58 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by remymartin
Does AY have a manned transfer desk at HKG? Because the check-in desk won't be open until ~T-3h.
Yes.

Also, In-town check-in has no T-3 limitation.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by remymartin
Yes, however I don't know how early it opens - I had a relatively short connection that one time. Maybe going to any Jardine-operated transfer desk works?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by intuition
Also, In-town check-in has no T-3 limitation.
Thanks, tomorrow I'll have a 7-hrs layover, connecting SQ->AY, so I'll just collect my bag, take the train to Central and check it in again.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:32 am

If no need to check in bags, will you get boarding pass 6h30 before?

Also. I suspect mobile boarding pass not valid?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:25 am
Moderator, Finnair

The in-town check-in desks will get you a boardingpass all day - there is no time limit, except that it has to be at least 90 minutes before deprature if you are checking in bags. I don't know the exact opening hours, they are open from early to late. The finnair desk is not Finnair dedicated, it serves a handful of airlines.

HKG transfer desk is airside and not a dedicated Finnair desk. I don't know its exact opening hours, but I assume there are staff in the transfer desk during most/all of the opening hours of the airport.

As it is so easy to get a boarding pass, I cant recall even trying a mobile pass. But last visit my companion had a mobile CX (or possibly JL) BP and had no issues entering. In the end, CX first lounge decided to print a BP in order for them to be able to stamp it for re-entry.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
.... In the end, CX first lounge decided to print a BP in order for them to be able to stamp it for re-entry.
BTW, what is it with the re-entry stamps at the CX lounges? What is the point of that? Their system shows that I've already entered another / the lounge previously, so it is not like they'd charge AY again for my visit...
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:40 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
BTW, what is it with the re-entry stamps at the CX lounges? What is the point of that? Their system shows that I've already entered another / the lounge previously, so it is not like they'd charge AY again for my visit...
I think it is a pratcial thing - looking at a stamped BP is much quicker than hacking away on the machine.

In my case I guested a lowly gold, so they said they wanted to make a BP and stamp it for the gold to easily re-enter after I had left the lounge. I saw it as a brilliant attitude, thinking forward ans solving a problem that might occur.
ffay005, Steve_Hun and juhanh like this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I think it is a pratcial thing - looking at a stamped BP is much quicker than hacking away on the machine.

In my case I guested a lowly gold, so they said they wanted to make a BP and stamp it for the gold to easily re-enter after I had left the lounge. I saw it as a brilliant attitude, thinking forward ans solving a problem that might occur.
Pretty good that they allowed your guest to stay after you left, Lufthansa for example is very strict with guests and they must leave with the member who brought them in.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Hi, who is responsible to take care of the following:
AY ticket to India with domestic flights on Jet Airways. On the return the 9W-flight to DEL was heavily delayed so no chance to make it on AY122. 9W refused to take care since "it was not their fault but the weather's". Which airline should cover hotel and provisions? I would prefer not to go via 9W given the experience so far.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Whatever Indian laws says, otherwise your travel insurance. This is not covered by EC261, AFAICT.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:00 am

I just booked a ticket for myself, mass tourism is already 2 years ago, and tried to book award tickets for my kids. I checked online and there is award availability, but when calling the plat line they had to waitlist.

is the award availability for kids different than for others, or is it platinum availability?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Whatever Indian laws says......
Indian Civil Aviation Requirements (CAR) says: "Operating airline shall not be obliged to offer meals and accommodation if the delay is caused due to extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken"
Jainzar likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by lento
Indian Civil Aviation Requirements (CAR) says: "Operating airline shall not be obliged to offer meals and accommodation if the delay is caused due to extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken"
Thanks. Good to know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.