Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by fakecd
I live in HKG but taking AY132 ex SIN to HEL @ 11:35pm purely for attractive business sale, first time AY flyer (QF Emerald). to arrange positioning flight like to understand few things

1) anyone know what time AY132 open for check-in at SIN. Or is "transfer desk" always manned?
2) I know CX will interline to AY on separate ticket, BUT what if my arrival to SIN is say about 9-12 hour prior AY132 departure? i'm concerned long layover increases risk of bags misplaced and never making AY flight.
Finnair web (https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/destin...re/singapore): Airport check-in and Bag Drop desks open 3 hours before departure.
To my experience even airside transfer check-in is not possible earlier than 3hrs before departure. On the other hand, I haven't had problems with through checked-in bags during a long layover. SIN is well managed and organized airport, so I wouldn't be worried of baggage not making my flight.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:36 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by fakecd
2) I know CX will interline to AY on separate ticket, BUT what if my arrival to SIN is say about 9-12 hour prior AY132 departure? i'm concerned long layover increases risk of bags misplaced and never making AY flight. If I choose not to inter-line I will need to wait for AY checkin to open to dump my bags which is very inconvenient unless check in open early
If bags are not checked to final, waiting for local SIN check-in to open is indeed the only option. In SIN there are no other options than to drop bag at AY counters. There is only one AY flight per day in SIN, so dropping bag at earlier flight is not an option. (Technically there are AY codeshares leaving around 1800 and 1900 - AY5856 to HKG and AY6379 to BKK) - but I doubt there is a AY desk for those flights so no sneaking in there either)

As for having bags in the system during long layovers I wouldn't worry. Can't see there are any increased risk there.

Last edited by intuition; Jan 7, 2018 at 8:47 am
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Thanks Purjelentaja & intuition
sounds like long-layover isn't an issue. So check-in opens at 930pm but I will probably try to arrive by 6pm if same day. I'm a bit of paranoia and I have tight itinery and many destinations in Nordics with pre-paid hotels etc, so I really want to avoid missing this. which means i might need day before... i keep you posted!

very excited about my first trip on AY. still far out.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:28 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Groovy, man. Groovy!

Sorry, a bit of hippie humour
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
So I have most of a day layover at HEL and am planning to go into town. I have a list of places to visit (museums, department stores, etc.).

My HEL-SIN flight leaves at 23:45, with boarding at 23:15.

Can I return to HEL and go to the lounge at any time, or is there a 3 hour window prior?
I intend to at least shower, and probably have some snacks.

On the other hand, if I really enjoy Helsinki and want to stay as long as possible, what would be the latest I should be at HEL for the flight? I'd plan 30-45 min for the train, and I guess similar for immigration/security.
SPBanker likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:18 am

There's no 3 hour window when accessing the lounge with status or J ticket, only with a prepaid voucher (or if you buy yourself in at the front desk).

HEL is very quiet in the evenings, so from the train to the lounge entrance won't probably take more than 20 minutes, most of which is walking and not standing in a line.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by jmmi
There's no 3 hour window when accessing the lounge with status or J ticket, only with a prepaid voucher (or if you buy yourself in at the front desk).

HEL is very quiet in the evenings, so from the train to the lounge entrance won't probably take more than 20 minutes, most of which is walking and not standing in a line.
The only thing that may take minutes is the queue in the immigration line. The passport machines stop working at 5pm for US passport holders for some reason.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:16 am

Hiya! I'll be at HEL airport on Feb 25 and a friend is thinking of also making a trip that day. I'll be flying out on QR to DOH, whereas he'd be flying WAW-HEL-WAW. Would it be possible for him to join me in the non-schengen lounge (I'd be OWS by the time)? I know at many airports it's not an issue to cross the border to use a "better" lounge or see off a loved one (done that many times at ZRH, MUC, FRA), but some take more strict approach to this,
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by klausa
Hiya! I'll be at HEL airport on Feb 25 and a friend is thinking of also making a trip that day. I'll be flying out on QR to DOH, whereas he'd be flying WAW-HEL-WAW. Would it be possible for him to join me in the non-schengen lounge (I'd be OWS by the time)? I know at many airports it's not an issue to cross the border to use a "better" lounge or see off a loved one (done that many times at ZRH, MUC, FRA), but some take more strict approach to this,
If your friend has an EU/Swiss passport then you can pass via the automated gates without a bp check.

Keep in mind that non-AY OWS has limited access to the Premium side of the non-Schengen lounge.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
If your friend has an EU/Swiss passport then you can pass via the automated gates without a bp check.

Keep in mind that non-AY OWS has limited access to the Premium side of the non-Schengen lounge.
Huh, I thought the Premium lounge is for OWE only, so I wasn't expecting to get to that part at all — the main attraction is going into a sauna at an airport.

With polish passports I'd there won't be any problems with the automated gates — but if they're for some reason inoperational, would he be turned away or just explaining to the guard what are we doing let him pass?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by klausa
Huh, I thought the Premium lounge is for OWE only, so I wasn't expecting to get to that part at all — the main attraction is going into a sauna at an airport.

With polish passports I'd there won't be any problems with the automated gates — but if they're for some reason inoperational, would he be turned away or just explaining to the guard what are we doing let him pass?
IME they seem acommodating enough to allow lounge access at immigration. Check the Premium lounge thread to learn more about it.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:09 am

Flying mainland China to Helsinki over Hongkong. One ticket but first flight is Cathay Dragon. I have 6h30 min layover in HKG (no sharper connections available)

Will I get HKG-Hel boarding pass already in China?
Is the layover enough to visit the city or should I just dwell the lounges.

Thx
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:27 am
Moderator, Finnair

In the past I've gotten BPs at first flight. I was however a while since I did such a trip.

Unless you hold frequent visitors status or can use the e-chanel in HKG, it can take quite some time to exit and enter HKG. Count 1h for exiting airport into HKG and exiting HKG into airport again.
Airport express train is 25 minutes to town. Add a 10 minute wait for next train, so there is 1h10min more gone.

Still a bit more than 4 hours left and you can enjoy that in HKG easily.
But lounges in HKG are nice too, I can easily spend 6h there.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:48 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by casper79
Flying mainland China to Helsinki over Hongkong. One ticket but first flight is Cathay Dragon. I have 6h30 min layover in HKG (no sharper connections available)

Will I get HKG-Hel boarding pass already in China?
Is the layover enough to visit the city or should I just dwell the lounges.

Thx
If on same ticket, you should get BPs. If filghts are on time, you should have time to visit the city, no problem. If you haven't visited it before, I really recommend at least a short visit.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
CX/KA has succeeded in issuing a boarding pass for connecting AY flight zero times out of one attempt (TPE-HKG-HEL). 0% success if you ask me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.