Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
Yes, very limited, they serve only coffee/tea, blueberry juice and water, as there is no Skybistro on those short hops to Tallinn, Stockholm (ARN) and St Petersburg, so unfortunately you are out of luck in this case. Perhaps you can make it up in the premium lounge before your onward flight?
Just to complete the picture, ATR services to Bromma have a limited Skybistro that includes for instance champagne. Perhaps flight time of 1 hour is the decisive factor?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
Do you get free WiFi in business? I'm OWE, but sounds like that doesn't matter.

The website is offering me the chance to buy it in advance, along with several other things, so I'm thinking no.
I think the website offers that to anyone flying in any class, it has nothing to do with the benefits you're actually entitled to.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Thanks a lot, Finnair guru's for the answers!

Not a big deal, I am sure I will be able to compensate the lack of Baileys in the AY lounge and I think that the price they charge for the wifi is more than reasonable!

Will report back on the (hopefully positive) experience!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Flying ARN-HEL-JFK on same day with ~3h hour layover in HEL. Can I first fly ARN-HEL leg with only hand luggage and check my bag to HEL-JFK only at HEL?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Furry
Flying ARN-HEL-JFK on same day with ~3h hour layover in HEL. Can I first fly ARN-HEL leg with only hand luggage and check my bag to HEL-JFK only at HEL?
Yes.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by lkrt

Yes.
Thanks. Would you know if it would be possible to check the luggage already at HEL in the morning before the ARN-HEL flight is flown?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
That’s a trickier case. I remember intuition once had to tag the bag first go to EU destination and do a back-to-back too, which failed. It might be that a skilled agent would be able to tag it only for the HEL-JFK leg.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:29 am

Thanks. Would you know if it would be possible to check the luggage already at HEL in the morning before the ARN-HEL flight is flown?
Originally Posted by lkrt
That’s a trickier case. I remember intuition once had to tag the bag first go to EU destination and do a back-to-back too, which failed. It might be that a skilled agent would be able to tag it only for the HEL-JFK leg.
I asked this question in this thread a few weeks ago and was told it should be fine:

Originally Posted by SuloL
I've done this a few times on EU-Asia itineraries, worked every time. Better mention to the check-in agent that you only want the bags onboard the long haul segment. Should be no problem. Short checking in the other direction could be more problematic, I presume.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:49 pm
R2

I've done this many times, never had a problem. Just check the luggage tag on your bag before it gets on the belt to ensure the check-in agent understood what you wanted.
FFlash and Furry like this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:20 am

Yep, did it this morning. The check-in agent understood at once what was going on, checked my bag only for HEL-JFK and onwards, printed a bunch of boarding passes and wished me "Hyvää matkustelua". I got the feeling that she had done this before.
ffay005 and Furry like this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: Finnair Platinum
Upgrade Vouchers

Hi, is it possible to sell/trade upgrade vouchers? I have 4 upgrade vouchers that will expire in April and since I have no immediate travel plans on Finnair metal, I am hoping to trade them with someone. Does anyone has any experience with this?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by nitwit09
Hi, is it possible to sell/trade upgrade vouchers? I have 4 upgrade vouchers that will expire in April and since I have no immediate travel plans on Finnair metal, I am hoping to trade them with someone. Does anyone has any experience with this?
I think selling is against the T&C, but practically that is hard to enforce if you not happen to sell it for AY+ points.

​​​​​​​
5.3Finnair is entitled at any time to discontinue the membership of a member when the member has given due cause therefor. Moreover, Finnair is entitled in such cases to cancel the points of a member without advance notification. In such cases, Finnair notifies the member in writing of the discontinuation of membership, of the reason for the discontinuation, and of the cancellation of points. The above-mentioned due causes given by a member include any breach of the rules presented herein or the falsification, alteration, sale, or unauthorized transfer to another person of documents such as flight tickets or vouchers entitling a member to awards
https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/finnai.../rules#title04
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
I suppose so - though it surely is possible? It really has been Y only for quite a few months - which means about 8 months before the flight date. I find it hard to believe that lots of cheap seats get snapped up so far in advance for one single random flight and not others on the same or close-by dates.

Not sure what the relevance of that is? There are still many days with low fares including in the same week that I wish to travel. But the specific flight I have in mind has not budged in price.

Until now! Yesterday B class became available. And today H class as well. So the fare has dropped to a "mere" EUR309. Since it is cancellable I booked it. If they continue the pattern of releasing a lower fare bucket every day, eventually I may score a low fare.

Very interesting revenue management. The only other time I have seen anything like it was when South Africa hosted the World Cup and the airlines only released full fare seats up until a few months prior to the event - after that it returned to pretty much normal patterns though obviously with much higher loads on certain flights.
I just thought I would complete the story of my experience with this odd availability scenario.

I continued to monitor availability and the best was Y, B or H at any given time. Then, less than a week before departure I got a notification from ExpertFlyer that K class was available. That would shave EUR50 off each ticket. Didn't seem like a big deal given seat reservations and priority boarding so I didn't act. The next day even lower classes became available that reduced the each ticket by EUR100. It was late and I didn't want to deal with it so I left it. The next morning when I did eventually go back O class had opened up and that whacked EUR200 off each ticket! By then online check in was open so I could do seat reservations at the time of booking - meaning that all I was giving up with my cheaper ticket was priority boarding. Jumped in and booked it and put in the cancellation. Very pleased with the final result - but still confused as to why AY would manage inventory this way.

The final instalment in the saga was that on the following morning, the day of the flight, I got a notification that award seats had become available! (Though by now no one in their right mind would use FF points for such cheap tickets, I suppose.)
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
I just thought I would complete the story of my experience with this odd availability scenario.

I continued to monitor availability and the best was Y, B or H at any given time. Then, less than a week before departure I got a notification from ExpertFlyer that K class was available. That would shave EUR50 off each ticket. Didn't seem like a big deal given seat reservations and priority boarding so I didn't act. The next day even lower classes became available that reduced the each ticket by EUR100. It was late and I didn't want to deal with it so I left it. The next morning when I did eventually go back O class had opened up and that whacked EUR200 off each ticket! By then online check in was open so I could do seat reservations at the time of booking - meaning that all I was giving up with my cheaper ticket was priority boarding. Jumped in and booked it and put in the cancellation. Very pleased with the final result - but still confused as to why AY would manage inventory this way.

The final instalment in the saga was that on the following morning, the day of the flight, I got a notification that award seats had become available! (Though by now no one in their right mind would use FF points for such cheap tickets, I suppose.)
Interesting. What was the saga again?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
I live in HKG but taking AY132 ex SIN to HEL @ 11:35pm purely for attractive business sale, first time AY flyer (QF Emerald). to arrange positioning flight like to understand few things

1) anyone know what time AY132 open for check-in at SIN. Or is "transfer desk" always manned?
2) I know CX will interline to AY on separate ticket, BUT what if my arrival to SIN is say about 9-12 hour prior AY132 departure? i'm concerned long layover increases risk of bags misplaced and never making AY flight. If I choose not to inter-line I will need to wait for AY checkin to open to dump my bags which is very inconvenient unless check in open early

Note that CX now use new T4 at SIN whereas AY uses T1 still. Landside transit hotels do not have hourly hotel plan so i'm increasingly thinking I might need to come the day before and stay at a Hotel (but even with late checkout at 4pm I still have time to spare before AY flight opens.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.