Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
320€ for a return upgrade to Thailand and booking into I? Any time!!

(It seems that the "upgrade" is not in a sense we use it for AY upgrades, but a package upgrade that books into revenue business class)
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
320 for a return upgrade to Thailand and booking into I? Any time!!

(It seems that the "upgrade" is not in a sense we use it for AY upgrades, but a package upgrade that books into revenue business class)
I haven't seen a better deal in years!
Old Oct 1, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
320 for a return upgrade to Thailand and booking into I? Any time!!

Gentlemen, I wrote ...320 - 450 oneway...
Old Oct 1, 2016, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ff_flyer
Gentlemen, I wrote ...320 - 450 oneway...
Ugh. Got excited for no reason. Still somewhat reasonable if 640 covers rt.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I just looked at the number, not the whole sentence "alkaen 320 €/hl/suunta" - two small modifier words

If it books into I bucket, it's still not THAT bad
Old Oct 1, 2016, 4:47 pm
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by ff_flyer
Thailand is mentioned, but as LGG wrote above it will not be operated as a charted flight nnext winter. IF it is BKK and flt number like AY089 or AY095 the booking class is apparently I => 16000 points oneway if I get it right.
All AY flights to Thailand were scheduled (=non-charter) already in Winter 2014-2015.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I just looked at the number, not the whole sentence "alkaen 320 /hl/suunta" - two small modifier words

If it books into I bucket, it's still not THAT bad
On further contemplation I need to revise above. If you pay, say 800-1000 for a week's holiday in TH, the upgrade can nearly double the cost of the whole holiday. Put it differently - it would cover all the local holiday spending (6-700 in TH goes a looong way)
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:32 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
On further contemplation I need to revise above. If you pay, say 800-1000 for a week's holiday in TH, the upgrade can nearly double the cost of the whole holiday. Put it differently - it would cover all the local holiday spending (6-700 in TH goes a looong way)
There is always an economy class seat plus hotel included in the basic package price. A very basic 3+ star hotel for 1000 and easily a double price if you want Hilton or similar.
To my understanding that business class upgrade is not quaranteed unless there is availability in I bucket, which may be limited during peak seasons in December and February.

On the other hand 32000 points with 900 is not bad, equals to ~35 points/euro ratio and more with tier multipliers.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:36 am

Programs: AY Platinum, AZ Alata Plus
Hi, newbie to the forum here, currently well on my way to making AY+ Platinum on mainly AY domestic segments (hooray!).. problem is I probably will be making Plat very close to the end of my tracking period. Lets say I make Plat just a couple of days before the end of my tracking period, will I get upgrade vouchers for qualifying that will then expire straight away as my tracking period ends? Of course I will get new ones beginning of the next tracking period but it will be quite a hurry to use the first ones especially if I don't have any longhaul flights planned. Anyone have experience with qualifying just before the end of the tracking period?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:43 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Welcome to FT, Fintastic!
(love your handle, spoken with aussie/kiwi accent makes it even better)

If I recall correctly, qualifying close to membership year end will have the effect that no upgrade vouchers will be given for the current year, only for the next year. I can't remember exactly but I think there have been reports that there is a cut off date somewhere around 11,5 months into the membership year.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: AY Platinum, AZ Alata Plus
Thanks intuition for the kind welcome! That's kinda where I got the handle, gotta love those aussies..

I better step up my game then, maybe do some segment runs (if there is such a term) if things get tight! No point in wasting that many upgrade vouchers over a couple weeks. Very important info, thank you.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Fintastic
I better step up my game then, maybe do some segment runs (if there is such a term)
Oh, there sure is! Befriend OH-LGG and he'll let you know

Welcome to FT!
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE)
Originally Posted by Fintastic
Hi, newbie to the forum here, currently well on my way to making AY+ Platinum on mainly AY domestic segments (hooray!).. problem is I probably will be making Plat very close to the end of my tracking period. Lets say I make Plat just a couple of days before the end of my tracking period, will I get upgrade vouchers for qualifying that will then expire straight away as my tracking period ends? Of course I will get new ones beginning of the next tracking period but it will be quite a hurry to use the first ones especially if I don't have any longhaul flights planned. Anyone have experience with qualifying just before the end of the tracking period?
Hi Fintastic, I made Platinum this year with 7 days left in my period and got upgrade vouchers + gold giveaway which were valid for 7 days. The CC lady was unsure what would happen so that must've been just on the verge of the cut. I'm not sure if the cut is static X days or depends on the month/data loads/whatever.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I suspect the earlier cut-off for Gold and Platinum status and upgrade voucher issuance only applies to points exchange near the end of the period. If you reach status the hard way by tier point or qualifying segments, you get the status and vouchers whenever the last qualifying flight posts.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Courmisch
I suspect the earlier cut-off for Gold and Platinum status and upgrade voucher issuance only applies to points exchange near the end of the period. If you reach status the hard way by tier point or qualifying segments, you get the status and vouchers whenever the last qualifying flight posts.
That's the way I've seen it go as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.