Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:08 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
SFO is usually served by A333 - this cabin has an alternating 2-2-1/1-2-1 abreast layout.
You may find more info in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...er-thread.html.
The seat width is reasonable and the good thing is that seats have much the same width all the way down. Width at feet level varies by seat in the cabin, but all are better than the A350.

Seat selection is free of charge in business class, and can be done at time of purchase or later through manage my booking.

I suggest you go for one of the L seats, with 1L with least limited width at feet level and very easy aisle access and 2L/4L/6L with slightly more privacy. 2A/4A/6A is also a great choice, but has those foot cubbies that limits you.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by intuition
SFO is usually served by A333 - this cabin has an alternating 2-2-1/1-2-1 abreast layout.
You may find more info in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...er-thread.html.
The seat width is reasonable and the good thing is that seats have much the same width all the way down. Width at feet level varies by seat in the cabin, but all are better than the A350.

Seat selection is free of charge in business class, and can be done at time of purchase or later through manage my booking.

I suggest you go for one of the L seats, with 1L with least limited width at feet level and very easy aisle access and 2L/4L/6L with slightly more privacy. 2A/4A/6A is also a great choice, but has those foot cubbies that limits you.
Thank you - very good info. We will probably go for 1L and 2L (we're a couple traveling together, but we both prefer window seats and do not require sitting together, just "close enough" is OK for 10 hours). I assume that the general consensus is that the benefits of 1L (more leg room) outweigh the potential downsides (no personal storage space on the floor there during takeoff/landing as it's a bulkhead, and the noise/light/disturbance of the galley/loo is minimal)?

Is it safe to assume that there are no seats blocked for elites, crew rest, etc. (that is, with a business class ticket, any seat should be selectable as long as nobody else has already grabbed it)?

Thanks again for the help.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:25 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Thank you - very good info. We will probably go for 1L and 2L (we're a couple traveling together, but we both prefer window seats and do not require sitting together, just "close enough" is OK for 10 hours). I assume that the general consensus is that the benefits of 1L (more leg room) outweigh the potential downsides (no personal storage space on the floor there during takeoff/landing as it's a bulkhead, and the noise/light/disturbance of the galley/loo is minimal)?

Is it safe to assume that there are no seats blocked for elites, crew rest, etc. (that is, with a business class ticket, any seat should be selectable as long as nobody else has already grabbed it)?
There is no personal storage space on the floor for any C seats. For me there has never been too much disturbance from galley/loo on the first row. If you are worried about that, you can of course grab 2L and 3L.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, AS MVP 75K, Star Alliance Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, SPG GOLD, HH Gold
Arriving to JFK late morning tomorrow on a non one world airline, checked in online but not able to obtain mobile boarding pass, question is, can I get my boarding pass from a self service kiosk at JFK Terminal 8 so I can meet a friend prior to AY check in counters opening??? (no checked bags)
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:22 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

Yeah, no floor storage on any seat, like SPBanker said.
I can't recall exactly, but I think row 1 isn't exactly a normal bulkhead either. I think they mounted a cupboard on the loo wall, which you feet will go under when seat is reclined.

I tend to be on the first rows and don't feel disturbed. Main galley operations are behind row 7, not in the front. In front of row 1 are two toilets. There is a double curtain arrangement, so when people cross the first curtain to the loo, the second curtain still stops lights from front galley.

No seat blocking in J, and certainly no crew rests either. (They once bumped me out of 1A to make room for Finnair CEO on official business though, but that would be the extreme exception). So you can grab any free seat at anytime.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Thank you both @ intuition and @ SPBanker.

Good to know the annoyances in the first row sound minimal (I'm a light sleeper, but my wife is not, so I'll probably offer 1L to her and take 2L for myself - assuming we can get them).

Originally Posted by SPBanker
There is no personal storage space on the floor for any C seats.
In most staggered C seats I've been in (other airlines), the "bed" terminates (in the foot cubby) on what is actually a shelf; below that shelf, there's a typically small space that one can usually use for personal storage - except during takeoff and landing (per regulations). I was on an ANA (NH) 787 in C a couple weeks ago and had this experience - the cabin crew did check for personal gear stuffed in the "lower foot cubby" and will tell you to stow it elsewhere during takeoff/landing.

I assume the configuration (and rules) are similar for the AY A333 - that is, the surface of the actual foot cubby (on which your feet rest when fully extended to bed mode) is on a "shelf" of sorts, and there's a small space below that (except in bulkhead rows, I'd guess) where one could stow something small (except during takeoff/landing). Is that correct, or is there really no space below the foot cubby surface in this configuration? This is certainly not a big deal, I'm just curious.

Now, I just need to plan for a little sauna time in HEL. With a business class ticket (but otherwise no status), is this an option after arrival, pre-departure, or both? Seems like a unique AY benefit so we may be tempted by it.

Thanks again for all the help, much appreciated!!!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
In most staggered C seats I've been in (other airlines), the "bed" terminates (in the foot cubby) on what is actually a shelf; below that shelf, there's a typically small space that one can usually use for personal storage - except during takeoff and landing (per regulations).
On the 350s yeah, but not on the 330s. I normally just have my stuff in a big pile on the floor...
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:17 am
Moderator, Finnair

... the cabin crew did check for personal gear stuffed in the "lower foot cubby" and will tell you to stow it elsewhere during takeoff/landing.

I assume the configuration (and rules) are similar for the AY A333 - that is, the surface of the actual foot cubby (on which your feet rest when fully extended to bed mode) is on a "shelf" of sorts, and there's a small space below that (except in bulkhead rows, I'd guess) where one could stow something small (except during takeoff/landing). Is that correct, or is there really no space below the foot cubby surface in this configuration? This is certainly not a big deal, I'm just curious.
Yes, they usually inspect the cabin before take off and remove everything from the cubby, even pillows, blankets, shoes. (They are less stringent on landing.
There is no space under the cubby but there is a shoe box where smaller items can be stored. Cubby can be seen here, shoebox is in the middle column, floor level.

Originally Posted by cistavoda
On the 350s yeah, but not on the 330s. I normally just have my stuff in a big pile on the floor...
That's becasue you are "Mista CistaVoda"
Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:39 am

Hello dear people. Anyone who did the London - Boston itinerary before with a Finnair plane? If so, could someone tell me how comfortable it is with a Boeing-777?

And are the in-flight amusement tools good enough? Like a screen in front of every seat or not?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Golasiyo
Hello dear people. Anyone who did the London - Boston itinerary before with a Finnair plane? If so, could someone tell me how comfortable it is with a Boeing-777?

And are the in-flight amusement tools good enough? Like a screen in front of every seat or not?
Welcome to FT and the Finnair forums, Golasiyo

As that flight AY5415 is a codeshare flight operated by British Airways, please ask this question in the BA forum for better answer.

Finnair doesn't have 777's and nor do their metal fly between LHR and BOS.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:20 am

We will fly AY next week from Germany to HEL, arriving 10pm. Next morning we have a domestic flight to IVL at 06:15. Will AY check our baggage through our final destination or is it necessary to pick it up and check it again like it's sometimes necessary for swedish or norway domestic flights?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Welcome to FT and the Finnair forums, Golasiyo

As that flight AY5415 is a codeshare flight operated by British Airways, please ask this question in the BA forum for better answer.

Finnair doesn't have 777's and nor do their metal fly between LHR and BOS.
It's AY5413 actually and both the Airport website as Finnair state they do fly from Heathrow to Boston, so I think you are in the wrong.

Google on: "AY5413 Finnair", for example.

I could be wrong too, but then this is very confusing.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:27 am
Moderator, Finnair

AY5413 is a codeshare. This means Finnair put their flightnumber on someone elses plane. In this case BA213. You may want to read up on the differences between marketed and operated flight.

Finnair does not have any Boeings and does not fly LON-BOS. BA does, and finnair sells ticket on that flight. What you have is a ticket sold by Finnair, but BA is the party that will fly you there.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by intuition
AY5413 is a codeshare. This means Finnair put their flightnumber on someone elses plane. In this case BA213. You may want to read up on the differences between marketed and operated flight.

Finnair does not have any Boeings and does not fly LON-BOS. BA does, and finnair sells ticket on that flight. What you have is a ticket sold by Finnair, but BA is the party that will fly you there.
I would expect the other way around. Interesting!

Thank you for the answers. I was wrong then.

@MiamiFlyer: thank you!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by 31570324
We will fly AY next week from Germany to HEL, arriving 10pm. Next morning we have a domestic flight to IVL at 06:15. Will AY check our baggage through our final destination or is it necessary to pick it up and check it again like it's sometimes necessary for swedish or norway domestic flights?
Anyone?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.