Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:13 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by muhv
As I have time for one only which one you recommend?
I don't have a comparison, but I would suggest to go to the one nearest to the gate. KIX int. has rather a long terminal building and lounges are spread out.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by intuition
Finnair always only suggests the lounge of their choice, not the OW options. They will issue an invite to Asuka and as far as they are concerned that is that.
You can always access lounges according to oneworld rules but will not get an invite. Most lounge attendants are familiar with OW rules with the major exception of BA operated lounges.
Even at HKG, a major OW hub they want to send their pax to the Plaza Premium lounge just because it's cheaper for AY even when the CX and QF lounges are so much better.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Even at HKG, a major OW hub they want to send their pax to the Plaza Premium lounge just because it's cheaper for AY even when the CX and QF lounges are so much better.
It's actually the QF lounge now.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Hi guys!

I'm thinking to convert my FP award points to tier points to reach Platinum status. If I have a silver status with 75000 tier points i.e. just under Gold level and I would use then 225 000 award points for 75 000 tier points to jump directly from silver to platinum would I also receive Gold level vouchers? Even I would sort of skip Gold level with this points conversion.

If my tracking period is 1.12.2016-30.11.2017 and I would do points conversion in September 2017 should I receive following vouchers immediately?

- four one-way SH travel class upgrades (based on Gold)
- two one-way LH travel class upgrades + four one-way SH travel class upgrades (based on Platinum)

These vouchers should then be used/booked by 30.11.2017.

Then 1.12.2017 I would also receive another set of Platinum perks:
- two one-way LH travel class upgrades + four one-way SH travel class upgrades (based on Platinum).

These vouchers should then be used/booked by 30.11.2018.

So all together this exercise could be worth of seven one-way LH travel class upgrades. As there is now a 50% bonus promotion for award points purchases I'm thinking to use this offer to boost my award points stack.

Thanks for your comments and advices!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:50 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Tapio
Hi guys!

I'm thinking to convert my FP award points to tier points to reach Platinum status. If I have a silver status with 75000 tier points i.e. just under Gold level and I would use then 225 000 award points for 75 000 tier points to jump directly from silver to platinum would I also receive Gold level vouchers? Even I would sort of skip Gold level with this points conversion.
My guess is that you will skip over gold level and thus never get the vouchers if you exchange for the 75k tier points in one go.

If my tracking period is 1.12.2016-30.11.2017 and I would do points conversion in September 2017 should I receive following vouchers immediately?

- four one-way SH travel class upgrades (based on Gold)
- two one-way LH travel class upgrades + four one-way SH travel class upgrades (based on Platinum)
You will get the vouchers immediately upon reaching the new tier, yes. But likely only 2LH and 4SH.

These vouchers should then be used/booked by 30.11.2017.
Yes, must be applied to a reservation by 30.11.2017. If not, they will be replaced by new ones with validity 30.11.2018

Then 1.12.2017 I would also receive another set of Platinum perks:
- two one-way LH travel class upgrades + four one-way SH travel class upgrades (based on Platinum).

These vouchers should then be used/booked by 30.11.2018.
Yes.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:04 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
My guess is that you will skip over gold level and thus never get the vouchers if you exchange for the 75k tier points in one go.
Then he should first exchange points from silver to gold, and some days later from gold to plat.

You can only exchange points once online during tracking period. But I have asked CS if they are able to do second exchange, and they confirmed that it's possible. It will cost you the points exchange fee twice, but if that will give 4 additional SH vouchers then IMO it's a fair deal.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:10 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Wasn't it max. half the amount for the next tier which is Gold and not Platinum. So 40k would be the amount from my reading. I have never done it but just read that last week on the tier points buying page.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:11 am

Thanks! I'm afraid this could easily happen. Probably I need to optimize flying so that I just reach Gold level and right after that execute conversion from award points to tier points to maximize available vouchers.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by HJP
Then he should first exchange points from silver to gold, and some days later from gold to plat.

You can only exchange points once online during tracking period. But I have asked CS if they are able to do second exchange, and they confirmed that it's possible. It will cost you the points exchange fee twice, but if that will give 4 additional SH vouchers then IMO it's a fair deal.
If the exchange can be done twice that could be a nice option!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by lkrt
It's actually the QF lounge now.
It said Plaza Premium on web but I guess they didn't update it.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
If the exchange can be done twice that could be a nice option!
Reading the description I don't think you can do it straight from Silver to Gold anyway.

Exchange Award Points to Tier Points

If you need some extra tier points to stay in your current Finnair Plus membership tier or move up to the next tier, you can exchange your award points for tier points. 15 000 award points can be exchanged for 5 000 tier points, and exchanged tier points are valid until the end of your current tracking period.

You can exchange points in batches of 5 000 tier points, but can acquire no more than half the tier points you need to maintain or advance your tier membership. As an example, you need 30 000 tier points to be a Finnair Plus Silver member - therefore, you can acquire a maximum of 15 000 of these tier points by points exchange.

There is a service charge of 10 € for each exchange. Please note that in web award points can be exchanged to tier points once during tier period.
https://www.finnairshop.com/en/partn...to-tier-points
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:10 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Jainzar
Wasn't it max. half the amount for the next tier which is Gold and not Platinum. So 40k would be the amount from my reading. I have never done it but just read that last week on the tier points buying page.
Indeed, this is the limitation.
Technically, once gold the counter may reset and 75k may be the new limit. (and if so, 75k minus what ever already has been exchanged)

Exchanging award for tier points is said to only be possible once a year through the web interface, but it may be possible to do more times by calling in.

A lot of may and might here...
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
In this situation I'd just forego the 4 sh vouchers and go straight for Plat - just in case not to be caught out by some rule or its interpretation.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: AY Platinum
One option is of course to just fly the missing 5000 TPs to reach Gold and do the change thereafter, which would minimize the uncertainties. Of course 5000 TPs cost some money and time, though.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:08 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Answer in Finnish from Gold CS regarding 2nd exchange within same tracking period:

"Asiakaspalvelumme kautta voimme tehdä toisen pistesiirron. Netissä se tosiaan ei ole mahdollista. Kuten olit itsekin laskenut, kuluvan seurantajaksosi aikana sinun on mahdollista vaihtaa vielä 40 000 pistettä, kun 35 000 on jo vaihdettu."

I asked this in March after point exchange from Silver to Gold. For me this was crucial information because otherwise I wouldn't achieve Plat this year, and wouldn't bother any MR to achieve half of tier points needed for Plat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.