Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:17 pm

Is there somewhere to find the previous double/triple points earning promotions for Finnair over the years in a concise post or article?

Obviously there were two major promotions this year (double points earned from Jan & triple points earned from May) given Finnair were in dire need of a cash infusion due to the Ukraine & covid in the Far East situations. I'm in the process of taking advantage of the latter.

I am interested in whether any promotions like this were common in the past? The triple points seems maybe unprecedented, but was a double points promotion something that has popped up annually, or every other year?

Any help would be appreciated & if any veteran FP members have any predictions on when the next is likely to happen I'd also be interested to hear.
Ruskeasuo likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
In the years prior to covid, there were a few double points campaigns, but they never earned tier points – double points were for award points only. (I believe the last double tier points campaign before covid was over 10 years ago). These were, therefore, all quite unprecedented and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the next one.
Steve_Hun and Londonlouis like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by lkrt
In the years prior to covid, there were a few double points campaigns, but they never earned tier points – double points were for award points only. (I believe the last double tier points campaign before covid was over 10 years ago). These were, therefore, all quite unprecedented and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the next one.
Thanks for the lightning quick response, Ikrt! That was my assumption & that if we were to see anything (like only an award points bonus), it likely wouldn't be until next year at a minimum.

Can you recall any point at which they've done previous tier point multipliers? Perhaps just for specific routes?

Also, do you know if the recent 30% off award redemptions promotion for the same 30-year anniversary week is something that comes about on a regular basis? If so, is there a logical time to expect the next one?
Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:31 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Londonlouis
Thanks for the lightning quick response, Ikrt! That was my assumption & that if we were to see anything (like only an award points bonus), it likely wouldn't be until next year at a minimum.

Can you recall any point at which they've done previous tier point multipliers? Perhaps just for specific routes?

Also, do you know if the recent 30% off award redemptions promotion for the same 30-year anniversary week is something that comes about on a regular basis? If so, is there a logical time to expect the next one?
I'd tend to agree with your assumption of the next one being in the heart of winter at earliest. I cannot recall anything about the prior-to-covid tier point bonus campaigns. The redemption campaign was a one-off, too. We've recently seen 20% discount campaigns on redemptions but the 30% off was a first (for me, at least).

All that being said, next year is AY's 100-year anniversary, so it might be – depending on their financial status at that point – that we will see some nice campaign any way.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by lkrt
I'd tend to agree with your assumption of the next one being in the heart of winter at earliest. I cannot recall anything about the prior-to-covid tier point bonus campaigns. The redemption campaign was a one-off, too. We've recently seen 20% discount campaigns on redemptions but the 30% off was a first (for me, at least).

All that being said, next year is AY's 100-year anniversary, so it might be – depending on their financial status at that point – that we will see some nice campaign any way.
Massively appreciate the info & I agree with your hunch that we could see something similar for the centennial, an upcoming event I wasn't previously aware of.

I had zero intention of chasing status with OW (Germany-based) until the 3x appeared & suddenly I caught Lumo-mania. No regrets as HEL is a delight to transit & I'm rather fond of blueberries. Just have to work out how to use all these points...

Kiitos!
Venezuela-Miami and SPBanker like this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), HHonors Gold
I'm doing the Iltalehti famous "ilmaveivi" to start a mass tourism trip. HEL-BER-HEL-JFK with the first HEL-BER on a different PNR and same-plane turnaround.

Was I to fly just for the sake of idiocy I would obviously go HBO. Since this is mass tourism, I'm contemplating checking in a bag.

According to chat CS turnaround at BER is 10 minutes less than minimum connecting time (50 min vs 60) so through checking is unlikely. Since I'm originating in HEL I was wondering if I could check a bag just HEL-JFK, possibly the previous evening. Checking the bag in after arriving from BER won't work, the connection is too tight.

What would checking a bag only for the later leg of an itinerary be called? Is it still short-checking? Are there rules permitting or forbidding such a practice? Does FT think such a request would be honored at previous evening check-in?
Old Sep 10, 2022, 6:52 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I believe the last tier point promo was in 2010, so they're extremely rare.

As for 2x award point promos, they come irregularly.
With the frenzy of promos now, I think AY is soon getting into "diminishing returns". People have no so many points stacked and so few opportunities to use them, I wonder who would care about a 2x AP promo? Or buying points?

Inflation in AY points system has already begun and I am pretty sure they will keep on finding new ways to both limit the use of point and make them less valuable.

Not to mention the unreliability of their operations. If you book 5 flights on a 2x points promo, how many of these flights will actually operate?
Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:06 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Jyrsa
I'm doing the Iltalehti famous "ilmaveivi" to start a mass tourism trip. HEL-BER-HEL-JFK with the first HEL-BER on a different PNR and same-plane turnaround.

Was I to fly just for the sake of idiocy I would obviously go HBO. Since this is mass tourism, I'm contemplating checking in a bag.

According to chat CS turnaround at BER is 10 minutes less than minimum connecting time (50 min vs 60) so through checking is unlikely. Since I'm originating in HEL I was wondering if I could check a bag just HEL-JFK, possibly the previous evening. Checking the bag in after arriving from BER won't work, the connection is too tight.

What would checking a bag only for the later leg of an itinerary be called? Is it still short-checking? Are there rules permitting or forbidding such a practice? Does FT think such a request would be honored at previous evening check-in?
Last, and only, time I tried something similar they A) refused to check bag for only certain segments and b) lost the bag. As reported in season 5 episode 9 of my "10 seasons of platinum".

Perhaps it is easier because you originate from HEL, so you might succeed only check for last segments. There is no name for it, it will be up to you to explain and convince the check-in agent.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)

Right at this moment I'm doing a HEL - ARN - HEL - SIN trip, with HEL - ARN on a different ticket. The platinum check-in desk had no issues checking my suitcase straight to SIN, without the ARN detour.

Same for another trip of HEL - FRA - HEL - SFO in 2019.

So starting in HEL and checking a suitcase for only part of an itinerary, where it actually goes to the final destination of your ticket is not a problem.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by intuition
Last, and only, time I tried something similar they A) refused to check bag for only certain segments and b) lost the bag. As reported in season 5 episode 9 of my "10 seasons of platinum".
Thank you.

A second chat with CS revealed that MCT in BER is 50 min so through checking might be possible.

I'm acutely aware of the probability of luggage delay or loss and will pack accordingly.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
The platinum check-in desk had no issues checking my suitcase straight to SIN, without the ARN detour.
Alas, I'll need to make two of these trips before I can avail myself of the platinum check-in desk. But thanks for the info!
Old Sep 10, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Alas, I'll need to make two of these trips before I can avail myself of the platinum check-in desk. But thanks for the info!
I'm quite certain that the gold/silver priority desk or the regular check-in desk can do it as well!
Old Sep 10, 2022, 5:35 pm

I believe the last tier point promo was in 2010, so they're extremely rare.

As for 2x award point promos, they come irregularly.
With the frenzy of promos now, I think AY is soon getting into "diminishing returns". People have no so many points stacked and so few opportunities to use them, I wonder who would care about a 2x AP promo? Or buying points?

Inflation in AY points system has already begun and I am pretty sure they will keep on finding new ways to both limit the use of point and make them less valuable.
Yeah, I agree with you on "diminishing returns". At some point this level of offer becomes unsustainable & most people who would have switched allegiance to AY through them (like me for the next couple years) will have likely already done so.

My warning to others (even as an AY newbie) is that Delta created a glut of Diamonds by rolling over status miles for 2-3 years & now are faced with real challenges in how to allot all those benefits. Lounges are rammed full & those with Global Upgrades have had them devalued by only being able to move up one cabin rather than from econ to business. If AY starts chipping away at the program I see their long-haul upgrades, or the price you can do so with points, being at risk. I also think there's a high chance they raise taxes & fees/bring back major fuel surcharges on award flights in the next year.

Not to mention the unreliability of their operations. If you book 5 flights on a 2x points promo, how many of these flights will actually operate?
While I agree in certain cases, this really depends on which fare class you opt to purchase for these offers. I bought 4x economy flex returns to the US with the 3x promo, knowing there was little likelihood of US routes being impacted covid-wise (& luckily having half my family & much of my field research based out there). Normally light or classic fares might have made sense price-wise but with the points it was possible to accumulate with econ flex, I knew I stood a good chance of flying in J for 7/8 long-hauls with little to nothing extra out of pocket. Even if there was a minor schedule change it wouldn't have a major bearing on the value of the deal to me.

The only time this happened (being concerned about flights even operating to clinch a deal) was in January using SAS for their 4x status promo. They were cancelling & shifting flights wholesale at the time - albeit they were seemingly crediting 4x points if they were responsible for cancellations... provided you chased them, that is.

Anyway, thanks for the insights.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Yeah, I agree with you on "diminishing returns". At some point this level of offer becomes unsustainable & most people who would have switched allegiance to AY through them (like me for the next couple years) will have likely already done so.

My warning to others (even as an AY newbie) is that Delta created a glut of Diamonds by rolling over status miles for 2-3 years & now are faced with real challenges in how to allot all those benefits. Lounges are rammed full & those with Global Upgrades have had them devalued by only being able to move up one cabin rather than from econ to business. If AY starts chipping away at the program I see their long-haul upgrades, or the price you can do so with points, being at risk. I also think there's a high chance they raise taxes & fees/bring back major fuel surcharges on award flights in the next year.

While I agree in certain cases, this really depends on which fare class you opt to purchase for these offers. I bought 4x economy flex returns to the US with the 3x promo, knowing there was little likelihood of US routes being impacted covid-wise (& luckily having half my family & much of my field research based out there). Normally light or classic fares might have made sense price-wise but with the points it was possible to accumulate with econ flex, I knew I stood a good chance of flying in J for 7/8 long-hauls with little to nothing extra out of pocket. Even if there was a minor schedule change it wouldn't have a major bearing on the value of the deal to me.

The only time this happened (being concerned about flights even operating to clinch a deal) was in January using SAS for their 4x status promo. They were cancelling & shifting flights wholesale at the time - albeit they were seemingly crediting 4x points if they were responsible for cancellations... provided you chased them, that is.

Anyway, thanks for the insights.
Given the huge amount of miles DL and other airlines sold to the banks/credit cards is now showing up in miles redemptions. If one looks around at OW partners and their redemptions for upper classes it's breath taking. I am a long time AS flyer with lifetime status ( lots of miles in my account) for Are Lingus is 280K plus cash biz SFO to Europe a lot of that is they don't want partners to redeem ! End of the day the airlines have to burn through all those miles they sold.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 1:03 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold (ex-75K), Bonvoy Titanium, Recovering United 1K
Flying into HEL from the US in business in a few weeks. Was originally going to stay 1 night in town before proceeding to London the next day, but now am going out on the same day. I land in HEL at 10am and depart for London at 2pm. Separate tickets -- TATL is business, HEL-LHR is award coach. I am OWE. Can I use the lounge in HEL after arrival?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.