Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Old Jun 27, 2022, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by mpkz
Yes they should hand out earphones (Y) and headphones (J). 2 or 3 pins in J depending on the plane, I think the same in Y, but single pin works.
Thank you mpkz I do have the single pin ones I can bring just in case.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by kq747
Hi All, travel agent booked my flight and when I look it up on finnair website, my name appears as firstnameMR. Their confirmation to me has my first name correct and MR separately but wondering if this is going to cause an issue and if I should spend time waiting on the phone to correct this? Flying LHR-HEL
This is very common and will not cause problems. No need to call anyone.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by ffay005
This is very common and will not cause problems. No need to call anyone.
I figured but first time flying AY and I did book some flights on their site myself where this did not happen so wanted to double check. Just seems odd that I have 3 other tickets on AY without the title included and just this one does and there is no separate line for title. Airline IT FTW
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Olperoo
Have read from various sources that AMS, along others, is a mess atm. Travelling in the later half of the week, plat & biz, if that makes any difference. How is the prio bag drop and security?
TIA
Go to KLM forum for more updates. Check-in is not a bottleneck, esp. for status pax. Priority security exists but you might have to go to the SkyPriority area from the back because they've lost control of the normal priority security entrances. Recent reports suggest that LH status pax were allowed through even when a manual check was done. Normal priority = 1.5-2 hours are sufficient in almost all cases.
Olperoo likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:47 pm

First time flying with Finnair SIN-HEL-GVA return and with 2 young kids so have major travel anxiety as do not know what to expect, so don't know how to prepare.
Plus also travelling during peak summer season.

I have many noob questions that I apologize in advance for asking but can't seem to find updated information on Finnair flights since the refreshed cabins are very recent.

1. What is the difference between Front Row and Economy Comfort seats?

2. Am I allowed to choose standard Economy seats for free still during online check-in? We are a family of 4 and would like to sit together. Not sure if it makes sense paying now.
SQ allows families travelling with kids to select for free while booking so this is all brand new to me.

3. Are pillows still provided in Economy class? I know blankets are.

4. Are there really no snacks provided throughout the long-haul flight?

5. Since I'm flying from a non-Schengen country (SIN) and transiting to a Schengen country (GVA), will I have to pass through security checks and immigration etc?
I read in one of the posts that everything closes at 830pm. We will be arriving in HEL at 6.15am and 11pm on each way - will anything be opened?

6. Is Finnair strict about the weight limit of 23kg per piece of luggage? I typically try to pack 4 persons belongings into 2 luggages so the per piece weight always goes above 23kg.
SQ doesn't care about this as long as the total combined weight is within the baggage allowance for the 4 persons.
Same question also for the 10kg carry on allowance - will they weigh this?

Sorry again for all the questions and the constant comparison to SQ as typically travel with them so only know them as a benchmark. Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Venezuela-Miami
Is the correct rule that I can't use the lounge on arrival?
Nunca, ni hay esperanza.

Originally Posted by singflier
First time flying with Finnair SIN-HEL-GVA return and with 2 young kids so have major travel anxiety as do not know what to expect, so don't know how to prepare.
Plus also travelling during peak summer season.

I have many noob questions that I apologize in advance for asking but can't seem to find updated information on Finnair flights since the refreshed cabins are very recent.

1. What is the difference between Front Row and Economy Comfort seats?

2. Am I allowed to choose standard Economy seats for free still during online check-in? We are a family of 4 and would like to sit together. Not sure if it makes sense paying now.
SQ allows families travelling with kids to select for free while booking so this is all brand new to me.

3. Are pillows still provided in Economy class? I know blankets are.

5. Since I'm flying from a non-Schengen country (SIN) and transiting to a Schengen country (GVA), will I have to pass through security checks and immigration etc?
I read in one of the posts that everything closes at 830pm. We will be arriving in HEL at 6.15am and 11pm on each way - will anything be opened?

6. Is Finnair strict about the weight limit of 23kg per piece of luggage? I typically try to pack 4 persons belongings into 2 luggages so the per piece weight always goes above 23kg.
SQ doesn't care about this as long as the total combined weight is within the baggage allowance for the 4 persons.
Same question also for the 10kg carry on allowance - will they weigh this?

Sorry again for all the questions and the constant comparison to SQ as typically travel with them so only know them as a benchmark. Thanks in advance!
First off, I advise you to set your expectations REAAALLY low, as AY Y is truly miserable. You coming from SQ will face a hard awakening.

1. No clue, I haven’t flown AY longhaul Y in several years, back then on wide bodies, the front rows of Y were regarded as comfort. Someone with more up to date information will tell you.

2. Shouldn’t be an issue, as long as you’re not selecting seats that come at a premium. For what it’s worth, AY does automatically assign every pax under 12 next to an adult in the same PNR.

3. Should be the case.

4. Sadly, AY was one of the first to charge for snacks mid flight.

5. SIN is considered a “clean” arrival so you skip transit security, you will only pass between the Schengen and non-Schengen concourses.

6. In my experience yes. No pooling between bags. However, carry on weight should be fine as long as the size is not too large.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Nunca, ni hay esperanza.

First off, I advise you to set your expectations REAAALLY low, as AY Y is truly miserable. You coming from SQ will face a hard awakening.

1. No clue, I haven’t flown AY longhaul Y in several years, back then on wide bodies, the front rows of Y were regarded as comfort. Someone with more up to date information will tell you.

2. Shouldn’t be an issue, as long as you’re not selecting seats that come at a premium. For what it’s worth, AY does automatically assign every pax under 12 next to an adult in the same PNR.

3. Should be the case.

4. Sadly, AY was one of the first to charge for snacks mid flight.

5. SIN is considered a “clean” arrival so you skip transit security, you will only pass between the Schengen and non-Schengen concourses.

6. In my experience yes. No pooling between bags. However, carry on weight should be fine as long as the size is not too large.
Thanks for taking the time to reply! Trying my best to be as prepared to make the Y class flight least miserable as possible for everyone.

Paid snacks sounds kinda crazy for long-haul especially seeing the meal option available...
I'm expecting a full flight so trying to get 3+1, will have to check in online as soon as it opens I guess. There are still loads of seats available now but I guess everyone is thinking the same as I am.
Also, guess I have to borrow a third luggage possibly so that we don't go over the per baggage limit.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:16 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by singflier
While the below is marketing speech the message is clear. Meal yes, snacks for purchase.

When flying in Finnair Economy Class on long-haul routes, you will receive a generous hot meal accompanied by a selection of non-alcoholic beverages. We will also serve complimentary wine or beer with your meal if you wish. It even gets better, on most of our flights, we serve a complimentary light meal or breakfast with non-alcoholic drinks before landing.You can also treat yourself to snacks and drinks from the Nordic Kitchen onboard menu.

We take sustainability as one of our core values and are working towards more sustainable catering. We carry only one menu option onboard our long-haul flights in Economy Class in order to minimize food waste.
https://www.finnair.com/de-en/finnai...-economy-class
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:28 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Never read that before but it makes me laugh, best parts bolded:
When flying in Finnair Economy Class on long-haul routes, you will receive a generous hot meal accompanied by a selection of non-alcoholic beverages. We will also serve complimentary wine or beer with your meal if you wish. It even gets better, on most of our flights, we serve a complimentary light meal or breakfast with non-alcoholic drinks before landing.You can also treat yourself to snacks and drinks from the Nordic Kitchen onboard menu.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:49 am

Programs: AY, Accor, Hilton - Gold
How does the "free drink" for plat work exactly? Can I choose anything? Is it pro active or do I need to ask for it?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:07 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by Compliment
How does the "free drink" for plat work exactly? Can I choose anything? Is it pro active or do I need to ask for it?
You can choose any (1) drink that is in the menu.

Most of the time it goes like this: drink trolley arrives - they ask if you would like to drink anything like they ask to everyone - you select your drink - they don't ask you to pay anything and turn to another customer.

Sometimes after serving the drink they mention that it is free because you have platinum card...

Once in a blue moon, first they do some kind of Plat talk followed by Plat drink offer.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Muchas gracias! acere? (sorry if not) @miamiflyer8

I'm glad I pushed just a little and politely, just testing the waters as i'd never force something outside the rules.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
Finnair offers another status match with idiotic demands. How am I supposed to know where the frequent flyer program they are matching is located?

https://www.finnair.com/se-en/direct...from-stockholm
Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Richey66
Finnair offers another status match with idiotic demands. How am I supposed to know where the frequent flyer program they are matching is located?

https://www.finnair.com/se-en/direct...from-stockholm
For some reason, they don’t want to name SK, LH and AF/KL. That’s the three to choose from.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:24 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Sorry for a possibly really basic question; if my partner and I are both Oneworld Emerald, and we're taking two others with us (on a single ticket/booking); are the two non-status pax also granted benefits on Business Light fares (specifically baggage allowance, but also lounge access?)

I thought so, but wanted to double check hopefully with someone who's done this successfully. We're thinking of taking my partners' parents with us to Thailand next year, and Finnair is far and away the cheapest option at the moment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.