Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:20 pm

Hey guys, I'm trying to make sense of the award rules and have a few newbie questions.

The Finnair award rules say that you can combine flights with a Finnar flight and you are also allowed one stopover on an intercontinental flight.
My goal was to fly J from SYD - LHR with a stopover in either SIN or HND.

Qantas doesn't show any J availability on this route (availability only in Y), but it does show that there are flights on JAL from SYD to HND and then AY from HND - HEL - LHR.
From what I am hoping the rules mean, you should be able to combine these two into one booking and just pay for the one way SYD - LHR and have a free stopover in HND.

I messaged CS on whatsapp, but they tell me that it's not possible and it will need to be booked as two separate one way awards?

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of booking or any idea how I can make the most out of my points?
Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:14 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by plain
Ah ok, I have to confirm this. I got email that the schedule has changed or something similar. I'll report back how it goes.
Do not under any circumstances accept the proposed new schedule or flights. That forfeits your refund.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by itsjackson
Hey guys, I'm trying to make sense of the award rules and have a few newbie questions.

The Finnair award rules say that you can combine flights with a Finnar flight and you are also allowed one stopover on an intercontinental flight.
My goal was to fly J from SYD - LHR with a stopover in either SIN or HND.

Qantas doesn't show any J availability on this route (availability only in Y), but it does show that there are flights on JAL from SYD to HND and then AY from HND - HEL - LHR.
From what I am hoping the rules mean, you should be able to combine these two into one booking and just pay for the one way SYD - LHR and have a free stopover in HND.

I messaged CS on whatsapp, but they tell me that it's not possible and it will need to be booked as two separate one way awards?

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of booking or any idea how I can make the most out of my points?
Thanks!
Not sure if it's helpful, but if the finnair award tables for oneworld partners indicate e.g. "Europe-Doha" and "Australia-Doha" separately, then a Europe-Doha-Australia award is a combination of the two individual awards and point charge is the sum. Also check if awards are only available for return tickets, as is the case e.g. with Qatar. If I remember correctly Qantas awards can be one-way as well.
itsjackson likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 4:59 am

Programs: AY+
Which domestic route is most likely to get canceled?

A dumb question: I've a eco light booking to KTT in a few days which I'm, unfortunately, unable to fly due to a nasty flu. Plat CS told me I could change the flight dates (and pay the possible fare difference) or change the flight to another domestic one. Changing to even northern Europe was told not being possible. As I have no foreseeable interest flying to KTT later this spring/summer/autumn and the whole winter schedule 22-23 is not on sale yet, I was thinking to change the booking to a e.g. TKU-HEL or TMP-HEL (possibly one of the very first scheduled flights this spring) in hope of the flight getting cancelled which would give grounds to a refund. Changing to something I normally fly domestically would not be optimal due to pricing spike on northern flights (excluding RVN), and I would prefer not to throw the tix away.

So, any thoughts which domestic flight would be the best bet?
Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:34 am

Programs: AY+ Plat
Do I need to get in touch with customer service to get my points back from a cancelled flight that I upgraded to business class? It's been a few weeks since cancellation and the points are still missing.

I hate the AY customer service these days, but that's a post for another thread …
Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by HELboy
Do I need to get in touch with customer service to get my points back from a cancelled flight that I upgraded to business class? It's been a few weeks since cancellation and the points are still missing.

I hate the AY customer service these days, but that's a post for another thread …
Sometimes. In your case, yes.
HELboy likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
Does AA's JFK-LAX-JFK service cost 85,000 points return in F? The AY website does not display any AA flights, but QF award search shows decent availability. Getting an answer here will likely be much quicker than calling
Old Jan 29, 2022, 1:05 am

What’s the status with delays and cancellations at HEL due to the severe weather? Can we expect major irrops?
Old Jan 29, 2022, 1:34 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by zxcv1
What’s the status with delays and cancellations at HEL due to the severe weather? Can we expect major irrops?
I’m flying today and will keep a close eye on everything. So far it looks pretty good: https://www.finavia.fi/en/airports/h...lights?tab=dep

but this can change quickly into the mayhem we saw some weeks ago
florens likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 4:19 am

Programs: LuxExpress VIP
I have about 6k points that expire in April, any cheap ways to push the expiry date further?
Old Jan 29, 2022, 4:29 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by vanaema78
I have about 6k points that expire in April, any cheap ways to push the expiry date further?
If you are located in TLL: Fly to HEL for 60€ and take 15€ Eckerö Line back to TLL.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 4:33 am

Programs: LuxExpress VIP
Hehe, that would be a fun... or not so fun day trip
Old Jan 29, 2022, 4:41 am

Programs: AY LUMO
For Viking Line Club members, Helsinki - Tallinn starting from 4€.

Offtopic: now it's time for ferry, I just booked legendary m/s Cinderella Stockholm -cruise from Helsinki for 2€ incl. B-cabin.
SPBanker likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 4:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
I’m flying today and will keep a close eye on everything. So far it looks pretty good: https://www.finavia.fi/en/airports/h...lights?tab=dep

but this can change quickly into the mayhem we saw some weeks ago
Flying as well, connecting to TLL late. Fingers crossed but we expect and prepare for the worst.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by vanaema78
Those points are worth some 50 EUR so you'd need to find something that costs less. I've just let small amounts expire on accounts that I rarely use, like AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.