Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:36 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Business Classic and Business Flex tickets would have free seat selection on AY, while Business Light does not include free seat selection (no idea about the prices though). Not sure if AA has an unbundled J ticket concept or not, but if not, I'd expect that you'll be able to book sets for free (especially if you have OWS or OWE status w/ AA).
Officially you pay also with a J Classic ticket.

SPECIAL CASES

You can select a seat free of charge in the following cases:
  • You’re travelling with a Flex ticket.
  • You’re travelling with a Finnair Plus award ticket (standard seats only).
  • You’re a Finnair Plus Platinum or Platinum Lumo member.
  • You’re a Finnair Plus Gold member (excluding Comfort seats).
  • You’re a oneworld Emerald member (reservations through Finnair Customer service).
  • You’re a oneworld Sapphire member (excluding Comfort seats. Reservations through Finnair Customer service).
https://www.finnair.com/en/seat-selection
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Business Classic and Business Flex tickets would have free seat selection on AY, while Business Light does not include free seat selection (no idea about the prices though). Not sure if AA has an unbundled J ticket concept or not, but if not, I'd expect that you'll be able to book sets for free (especially if you have OWS or OWE status w/ AA).
AA doesn’t even charge for standard Y seats so they’re not the issue. And FWIW no unbundled J on them (yet).
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:42 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by Jainzar
Officially you pay also with a J Classic ticket.

https://www.finnair.com/en/seat-selection
Wow, totally blanked on the enhancement that customers with business classic ticket also wanted to pay for their seat selection...
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:58 am

Programs: Finnair Platinum, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Hey guys, flying out to HKT next week from HEL and I got an email with travel document requirements. One of them says the following:

"5. A negative RT-PCR test (ordinary PCR- or antigen test is not accepted) taken at most 72 hours before the flight departure time from your first embarkation point. The test certificate must be in either paper format or a screenshot. SMS-format test results are not accepted."

We were planning on getting a test through Omaolo (government free test). Is that not a RT-PCR test? Last time I used their service I got the certificate and it only said PCR. I'm a little confused now. If this is just a regular PCR, then where and how am I to get a RT-PCR?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:05 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
HUS certificate states RT-PCR. Don't know about others.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:25 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by H.J.Simpson
Hi all and happy new year
I am about to make a booking this summer on AA ticket stock - operated by AY in business class (I)
I understand that AY charges for pre assigned seats also in Business. I've read somewhere that the price is EUR30 for the middle seats? I am flying HEL-DFW and LAX-HEL.
Is that still the going price?

Thanks
HJ
If you buy it from AA but it is operated by AY I think this is defined by the AA fare rules, not AY. Looking at their page it says Basic Economy pay to choose, Main Cabin choose for free. The business does not state either, but I would be surprised if it wasn't free. I am not sure about this though.

At Finnair marketed you have to buy Business Flex to get to choose for free unless you have status. You have to pay even in Business Classic, but AA only has one business class fair on AY operated flights and I don't think it directly translates to a specific Finnair Fare,

If you have OWS or OWE you can choose for free with any fare.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 7:57 am

Programs: Finnair Platinum, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Smile

Originally Posted by ffay005
HUS certificate states RT-PCR. Don't know about others.
The HUS tests are the ones booked via https://koronabotti.hus.fi/en right?
I've got those EU Digital Covid Certificates with my result in the past for reference, and it says "Nucleic acid amplification with probe detection (PCR)" written on it. Nothing on this "RT-PCR", or am I Just misunderstanding this completely?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite
https://koronatietoni.fi/ you can load a certificate, for a HUS test I did earlier it shows for me:

Analysis: -CV19NhO (SARS-CoV-2, nucleic acid test)
Method: Reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction assay (RT-PCR)
finlandbased likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by finlandbased
The HUS tests are the ones booked via https://koronabotti.hus.fi/en right?
Yeah!

Originally Posted by finlandbased
I've got those EU Digital Covid Certificates with my result in the past for reference, and it says "Nucleic acid amplification with probe detection (PCR)" written on it. Nothing on this "RT-PCR", or am I Just misunderstanding this completely?
After you get the SMS, you can either download a HUS certificate from koronatietoni.fi or an EU cert from Omakanta (or both). HUS shows RT-PCR.
finlandbased likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:48 pm

How long before departure does the OLCI open (in particular for "business light" tickets to select seats)?
Old Jan 8, 2022, 4:17 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Originally Posted by tr3k
How long before departure does the OLCI open (in particular for "business light" tickets to select seats)?
European and Asia: 36h
US: 24h
Venezuela-Miami and tr3k like this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:18 am

One more question - on the A350 in business how is the overhead storage situation (for someone flying "business lite", so presumably boarding last)? Is it dire enough that I won't have space for a (small) rollaboard + backpack?
Old Jan 8, 2022, 10:54 am

It's bad. The first cabin is nice and airy, because they don't have bins in the centre. Cabin crew randomly uses up to two full bins on the sides, and the rest is left for pax. If the flight is full, it's a real struggle and your bags may end up several rows from you. I don't like this at all. But you can still take those on board, there's no risk of them being force-checked to the hold.

The minicabin does have center bins, so if your flight has a J minicabin (rows 9->) and you're not bothered by potential noisy Y pax, that might be a better choice.
Venezuela-Miami and tr3k like this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I am a BA silver and have booked hand baggage only fare in economy within Europe. What will my baggage allowance be?
Old Jan 9, 2022, 5:00 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I am a BA silver and have booked hand baggage only fare in economy within Europe. What will my baggage allowance be?
One.
onlysuites likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.