Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2021, 10:38 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
If you are using the Finnair app, where would I find any information on passengers? I don’t see even their names.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 11:29 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, SAS Gold (butt in seat)
Originally Posted by lento
No.
So I could "only" forward the existing booking to the future, and book a new, cheaper one
cistavoda and lento like this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 9:21 am

Does anybody know the booking class (A, G, N, O, Q, S, W, Z, etc) for transatlantic Finnair
Economy Light fares? Trying to calculate the earnings for the American Airlines program on
a LAX-MAD-HEL-LAX itinerary where LAX-MAD is a Finnair codeshare operated by Iberia.
Orbitz usually shows the actual booking class, but in this case it does not.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by dogcanyon
Does anybody know the booking class (A, G, N, O, Q, S, W, Z, etc) for transatlantic Finnair
Economy Light fares?
Economy Light is a ticket type, not a booking class. I think all economy booking classes except possibly A and G currently can be used for Economy Light.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by dogcanyon
Economy Light fares?
I recently purchased RT CPH-HEL-JFK. Outbound was Q, inbound was S.

I'm a bit on edge because these early fall TATL flights are practically empty.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 12:21 pm

Thank you both.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: Finnair Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Former Asiana Diamond
Question on Finnair Plus Status for Those Who Live in the US

Hi Finnair Fans,

I am reasonably experienced with frequent flyer programs (OZ Diamond, AA Gold (former Plat)) and thought Finnair Plus had some nice opportunities for OWS and OWE for US-based flyers. Not too familiar with Flyertalk so please let me know if this post should go somewhere else.

Finnair's program appears attractive to me because of the opportunity to just qualify off of flight segments (46 for Gold, 76 for Plat) and getting OWS, OWE lounge access for use on AA/AS. However, looking through Flyertalk and Google it doesn't seem like a lot of people take advantage of Finnair Status instead of AA status in the U.S. I am wondering why that is and if there is a downside to the program that I am missing?

For context I am investigating Finnair Gold status for my wife who flies a lot of cheap and short routes that require a layover (does CHS-CLT-STL RT once a month). From what I have read it appears this would give her Finnair Gold and OWS status after a year (48 segments). This would give her access to AA lounges domestically as well as MCE seats on AA.

Thanks for any advice!
Old Sep 15, 2021, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Wizard_of_OZ

Finnair's program appears attractive to me because of the opportunity to just qualify off of flight segments (46 for Gold, 76 for Plat) and getting OWS, OWE lounge access for use on AA/AS. However, looking through Flyertalk and Google it doesn't seem like a lot of people take advantage of Finnair Status instead of AA status in the U.S. I am wondering why that is and if there is a downside to the program that I am missing?

Thanks for any advice!
Welcome to FT and the AY+ forum!

The only two downsides I see are not being able to take advantage of any upgrades (whether complimentary via 500 milers or other instruments) when flying AA and is the nowadays. The other is the nowadays meager earnings from AA flights, they used to credit 100% even from the cheapest coach fare buckets to AY+ but that ended 4-5yrs ago. There was also a time when AAdvantage was a great option for us AY flyers. AY+ isn't a particularly well-known program, I only know one guy on the AA forum who uses AY+ as their main FFP. Most seem to stick to BAEC for their non-AA OW status thanks to largely buying F and earning it via tier points instead of segments.

If you qualify for Plat, you can gift Gold to your wife regardless of her activity so this is something you can look into if your wife happens to fall short on segments.

Last edited by miamiflyer8; Sep 15, 2021 at 6:58 pm
Old Sep 15, 2021, 7:18 pm

Thanks for the quick response!

The loss of 500 mile upgrades is a bummer, but talking with her she prefers lounge access over ~8 upgrades a year (she may not fly more than 25k miles and you get 4 per 12.5k I believe).

The loss of frequent flyer kms stinks but I think the loss will be relatively minor since she flies on cheaper AA tickets. That does bring up a question: I have seen that Finnair gives points based on km's flown but is their award chart showing kms or some other metric when you go to redeem your points (does 1 km flown= 1 point towards flight price on award chart)?

I'd be curious to know why your friend has stuck with AY+ over BAEC, she never buys F and looking at BAEC I don't see a path to status with them.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Wizard_of_OZ
Thanks for the quick response!

The loss of 500 mile upgrades is a bummer, but talking with her she prefers lounge access over ~8 upgrades a year (she may not fly more than 25k miles and you get 4 per 12.5k I believe).

The loss of frequent flyer kms stinks but I think the loss will be relatively minor since she flies on cheaper AA tickets. That does bring up a question: I have seen that Finnair gives points based on km's flown but is their award chart showing kms or some other metric when you go to redeem your points (does 1 km flown= 1 point towards flight price on award chart)?

I'd be curious to know why your friend has stuck with AY+ over BAEC, she never buys F and looking at BAEC I don't see a path to status with them.
Short answer, yes 1km=1pt but it all depends on how quickly you earn points (be it booking class bonus or other methods).

I don't know the guy personally, I just recall him mentioning switching from AA EXP to AY Plat, IIRC he purchased paid J on AY and wanted the upgrade vouchers so it made sense for him.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 7:46 pm

Awesome thanks! That definitely adds value to them (makes the redemption costs look a lot better).

Makes sense.
miamiflyer8 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 11:11 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Is there still a requirement to fly a few flights on AY metal in order to qualify for status? I'm not sure, it could have been abolished.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 11:26 pm

That appears to only be a requirement for LUMO (https://www.finnair.com/us-en/finnai...-platinum-lumo)
Old Sep 15, 2021, 11:29 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ffay005
Is there still a requirement to fly a few flights on AY metal in order to qualify for status? I'm not sure, it could have been abolished.
I don't recall such a requirement at least during the past 8 years.
ffay005, esledo and Wizard_of_OZ like this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 11:58 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by ffay005
IIRC the requirement is or was in T&C but never been enforced for program participation. Lumo has it officially for tier qualifications, so maybe even the T&C saying was updated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.