Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by kmandrew
Just booked 2 AA 12.5k award tickets on AY857 HEL-ZRH, as an OW Sapphire will I be able to call to get seats n/c; also I have never flown AY, how does boarding go - First, Emerald, then us?
Thanks
First question: Yes, you can choose your seats free of charge (contact customer service).

Second question: Boarding procedure varies. However, the official boarding policy is as per boarding groups and I believe you belong to group 1. Someone with AY Gold / OW Sapphire can confirm this?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 6:46 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
They may have tampered with the groups recently so we really need to ask someone who flown as sapphire lately. I think I saw a Gold BP recently and it was in group 2 but I am really not sure about that.

Previously the boarding order was:
Pre-boarding (those in need of assistance, UM, anyone who can produce a child)
Group 1: Business class, AY plat, AY Gold, AY silver, OW E, OW S
Group 2: ?
Group3: Statusless Y-travllers, Finnair juniors

And as OP is flying ex-HEL, boarding groups may or may not be enforced. It may just be a PA call sayng "We start boarding now..." and may the strongest win.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by intuition
They may have tampered with the groups recently so we really need to ask someone who flown as sapphire lately. I think I saw a Gold BP recently and it was in group 2 but I am really not sure about that.

And as OP is flying ex-HEL, boarding groups may or may not be enforced. It may just be a PA call sayng "We start boarding now..." and may the strongest win.
Group 2 probably held PRO pax.

Back in my OWR days I got group 1, so all elites got G1
Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver

I can confirm Group 1 as OWS.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: AY Platinum
I have always gotten as OWS/AY Gold group 1, including recently during 2017. Seems to me that Ruby/AY Silver gets group 2.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Last few flights my sister had as AY+ silver / OWR, she was in Group 2. When got to AY+ Gold / OWS, she was bumped to Group 1.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:15 am

Programs: AY+ Silver, IHG Gold Elite
Hmm, I remember seeing the reply for this somewhere but couldnt find it so reposting most likely.

Finnair upgrade with points / voucher upgrade question. If I have for example FRA-HEL-BJS booked in economy and want to upgrade the HEL-BJS with 50k points or with a voucher.

Will the FRA-HEL shorthaul also be upgraded automatically or do I need to pay separate 10k points to do it? Expected that the whole trip FRA-HEL-BJS is on the same ticket.

Cheers.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Vesseli
Will the FRA-HEL shorthaul also be upgraded automatically or do I need to pay separate 10k points to do it? Expected that the whole trip FRA-HEL-BJS is on the same ticket.
Yes, it will be automatically upgraded if you pay the LH upgrade with points, but AFAIK not if you use a voucher.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:57 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The tariff 50k "for longhaul" is for one longhaul inbound or outbound including the connecting shorthaul flight if any.

For vouchers the tariff is one voucher for each flight, so in this case the 50k points upgrade equals 1LH voucher and 1 SH voucher.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
The tariff 50k "for longhaul" is for one longhaul inbound or outbound including the connecting shorthaul flight if any.
Never used, but does this apply if you have a layover (~3 weeks) in HEL?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red

For vouchers the tariff is one voucher for each flight, so in this case the 50k points upgrade equals 1LH voucher and 1 SH voucher.
Wow, never knew about that before.

Will be useful for those who position to MXP and fly to Asia.

The blocked middle and a few inches extra legroom still makes the difference as I agree the seat block in Y doesn't work.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:21 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by ff_flyer
Probably, but I don't know.

These things are like rubberbands. If you push them too far they will brake. With lagom usage there will be no incentive to overhaul the rules.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Probably, but I don't know.

These things are like rubberbands. If you push them too far they will brake. With lagom usage there will be no incentive to overhaul the rules.
Point taken ^ , 'an appropriate amount of' would be descriptive.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: AY+ Silver, IHG Gold Elite
Thanks for the quick replies! Planning on going with the lady to Asia and Id have the 100k to upgrade her back and forth and booking business tickets for myself.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ff_flyer
No, it does not. AY CS told me the connecting flight needs to be the next available.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.