Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Annerk
Just to update this information...

JFK does have scales at the gate, and we were forced to gate check (at no cost) our rolling bag as it weighed over a certain amount (which was a very low allowance). It created a bit of a scramble as I had medication and other necessities packed in there and had to remove them into my smaller personal item (which was very small and it was hard to fit it all in.) They printed out our boarding passes on Finn Air stock. Fortunately all three of the checked bags come off the belt in WAW.

We got off the flight in HEL and proceeded through immigration and then to a holding area where we boarded buses and were driven back around the airport next to the gate we had previously landed at to board our flight. There was no calling of zones, everyone just got on the plane and took their seat. We boarded through the rear door from portable stairs on the tarmac. The flight to WAW was very comfortable and I want to think we were served a choice of juice or water.

The flight from JFK to HEL was on a A330-3. We were in 21 L and J. I'd never recommend these seats. "J" was perhaps the narrowest seat I've ever been seated in. The legroom was great, but the remote protruded into my hip/thigh for eight hours. I am not a large person, but this seat wouldn't have been comfortable for a super model. If they can't figure out a way to remove the 2" protrusion, they should stop selling it as economy comfort, as it was anything but. Also the bottle of Champagne I'd ordered a month in advance as a surprise anniversary present to my husband was never loaded onto the plane by catering, and that was quite disappointing. Fortunately we had a large early dinner at JFK prior to boarding, because the food in economy was pretty well inedible. We had also purchased some pastries at Au Bon Pain for breakfast, which was a good call, because that was pretty dismal as well.

Would I fly them again? Yes and no. I would not fly them on a long haul. I would however, readily fly them for a short haul. In that respect they were as good as pretty much anyone.
Did you have a business class mini cabin in front of you? If yes, then row 21 is not recommended but if you flew on OH-LTS,LTT or LTU without minicabins then it is desirable. I've never myself had issues with the width.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Did you have a business class mini cabin in front of you? If yes, then row 21 is not recommended but if you flew on OH-LTS,LTT or LTU without minicabins then it is desirable. I've never myself had issues with the width.
But this is just for legroom, right? Just flew the OH-LTU seated in 21J the other day and it definitely had that really narrow seat with the annoying protruding remote.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Antx
But this is just for legroom, right? Just flew the OH-LTU seated in 21J the other day and it definitely had that really narrow seat with the annoying protruding remote.
It could be, it has been 4 years since I last flew in row 21 so my memory is faded.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I don't recall how big the cabin in front of us was. I've sat in the same seat on several A330's flown by other airlines and understand that the tray table eats up some of the space. But that wasn't the problem--it was the remote protruding a full two inches into the seat that was the issue. It made a seat that was narrow to begin with impossible to find comfort in. It was probably no more than about 15-16" across, and it's absurd that they would consider that an "economy comfort" seat.

We also had incredibly rude people behind us--at one point the woman in the window put her bare foot up on my husbands armrest under the window and poked him in his elbow with it as a hint at what a nightmare they were.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
I'm trying to book a flight to MIA starting from ARN or BMA. In this example for random dates (the same "problem" is available on other dates as well.). I want the return segment for HEL-ARN to be +1 day (but less than 24 hours) as I need to leave all by baggage home before continuing on another itinerary from Sweden. However, when trying to book this on AY site it forces the return segments into V or higher segments if you choose the last leg +1 day later. I could not find anything to this in fare rules so seems rather strange. I tried also a dummy booking for ex-OSL and the same thing replicates. Any clue why it is like this, Expedia can handle the booking but it books the AY8 on return with AA code = no possibility to use UG vouchers. There are plenty of available in O,Q,S etc. "normally" priced classes on the dates I tried.

Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I don't know why it does this, but I had the same problem with a booking ARN-LAX. In the end, I flew HBO LAX-HEL, ditched the last segment, and bought a separate ticket to ARN.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Furry
I'm trying to book a flight to MIA starting from ARN or BMA. In this example for random dates (the same "problem" is available on other dates as well.). I want the return segment for HEL-ARN to be +1 day (but less than 24 hours) as I need to leave all by baggage home before continuing on another itinerary from Sweden. However, when trying to book this on AY site it forces the return segments into V or higher segments if you choose the last leg +1 day later. I could not find anything to this in fare rules so seems rather strange. I tried also a dummy booking for ex-OSL and the same thing replicates. Any clue why it is like this, Expedia can handle the booking but it books the AY8 on return with AA code = no possibility to use UG vouchers. There are plenty of available in O,Q,S etc. "normally" priced classes on the dates I tried.
It is not uncommon that the matrix shows tickets with no availability. I had the same issue when looking for flights to JP some time ago. I put your flights into bookwithmatrix and tried to book with Priceline and it returns with "No flights available for your selected itinerary".
Old Dec 26, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
My Platinum expires in Feb 2020, and will get soft landed to Gold.

If I now choose a free economy comfort seat for me and my travel buddy for a flight in July 2020, will that remain and free of charge? Or will i get bumped back to a regular economy seat?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 6:58 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
AFAIK, you won’t be able to check-in unless you pay for the seats. No auto-bump though.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by Jainzar
It is not uncommon that the matrix shows tickets with no availability. I had the same issue when looking for flights to JP some time ago. I put your flights into bookwithmatrix and tried to book with Priceline and it returns with "No flights available for your selected itinerary".
It seems to be universal and not related to availability of lower booking classes. I tried dummy routes for all US routes (even dailies) and if you don't choose the direct connection via HEL on return it books into M or something really expensive if you want the XXX-HEL flight. You can still do multi-city if you do the return for example through LHR at a "decent" price. Probably they have closed the loop-hole for most ex-ARN'rs Too bad I really need that this time. Let's hope it's just a bug and will be fixed in the coming weeks or I'll need to seek for other options outside OW.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by EuroFlash
My Platinum expires in Feb 2020, and will get soft landed to Gold.

If I now choose a free economy comfort seat for me and my travel buddy for a flight in July 2020, will that remain and free of charge? Or will i get bumped back to a regular economy seat?
At OLCI, the system will demand payment and will not let you proceed unless you pay or change seats.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by ffay005
At OLCI, the system will demand payment and will not let you proceed unless you pay or change seats.
Thank you! I have just changed to emergency exit row seats instead then
ffay005 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Sorry if this has been asked before, but how do OWE benefits work on charter flights (AY2xxx)? Currently online shows seat selection possibility for free, but system doesn't actually reserve seats at all. What about luggage? Lounge access? "Platsku-drinkki"?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Originally Posted by Furry
It seems to be universal and not related to availability of lower booking classes. I tried dummy routes for all US routes (even dailies) and if you don't choose the direct connection via HEL on return it books into M or something really expensive if you want the XXX-HEL flight. You can still do multi-city if you do the return for example through LHR at a "decent" price. Probably they have closed the loop-hole for most ex-ARN'rs Too bad I really need that this time. Let's hope it's just a bug and will be fixed in the coming weeks or I'll need to seek for other options outside OW.
Did you try www.bookwithmatrix.com or telling Expedia that your preferred airline is Finnair? A second option is to try to book over the phone with AY, and ask them to waive the phone fee since it doesn't work on the website.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by duvin
Sorry if this has been asked before, but how do OWE benefits work on charter flights (AY2xxx)? Currently online shows seat selection possibility for free, but system doesn't actually reserve seats at all. What about luggage? Lounge access? "Platsku-drinkki"?
My Dad (AY Gold) flew HEL-RMI-HEL this summer, and exit seats required a call to AY. They needed to be assigned manually, but this was done free of charge. He probably got lounge access at HEL, otherwise I would have heard about it... RMI probably has no AY contract lounge?
SPBanker likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.